Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

301 - 320 of 324 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
has anyone had any luck with the fel pro gaskets? its been a few years sense they came out.:laugh2:
I'm running a set with heads from Jared ( no o rings ) . So far so good . You would think that
any bad news would be posted here by now .
The quality is as good as OEM in my mind . I had both on my bench and decided on the
Fel pro's because of the built in " o ring " ridge stamped in . :smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Would there be issues running the Felpro gaskets with o-ringed heads?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had mine done last year, 15k miles with a bunch of towing & no problems. I was planning on Ford OE but forgot to order them so with the truck torn down on the lift made a last minute decision to go with the Fel-Pro's. I have stock heads that the machine shop cleaned up but no o-rings.

Reactions: HP MACHINE

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts

As long as the o rings don't land rite on top of the formed boss on the gasket , I can't see any problem . In fact if they were machined outside the " boss " you would have a double " o ring ".
I believe Charlie @ KC Turbo has done this on one of his motors .

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts

I certainly hope not! Otherwise, I'm screwed. The o-rings only protrude a few thousandths and I assume will somewhat crush themselves. There shouldn't be any issues with o-rings and Fel-Pros that aren't also an issue with OEM gaskets, IMO.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't know if I missed a part but it was my understanding that Ford had some issues with the anti-freeze that was being used and it caused gaskets to fail prematurely also the fact that the torque to yeild head bolts did not have enough clamping force to keep the heads tight.If this was the case then the stock head gaskets should be fine with better anti-freeze and head studs.Maybe I missed the part or is this about aftermarket gaskets? Having said that I owned a repair shop for the last 25 years and used fel-pro gaskets for everything never had one gasket comeback! So I never gave a thought to the last five 6.0 jobs that i've done,but it sure is nice to see that this has been confermed china or not. Maybe we could do some tests of these chinese head studs I see popping up on the net.

Randy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking for some advice and part numbers on a head gasket replacement on my 2005 6.0l I'm leaning towards the fel pro (or oem) but unsure of what part number on the fel pro. The gaskets I've found online are suspiciously cheap. My gasser gaskets cost more, which has me wondering if I'm looking at the right gasket. My OEM heads are in machine shop now getting tested and machined (if they check out ok). This truck had been studded by previous owner but checking tomorrow to make sure they are arp studs. Even if so I know they wouldn't have installed the arp 625+, and i am thinking I may go that route for an extra 55 ft/lbs clamping force.
So my question is, if I'm not o-ringing the heads, which is the best gasket to buy, (with p/n please)?
Also, while my cab is off, is there any other relatively low expense preventative work to do, and approximate associated costs for parts/labor? I've head talk of STC fitting replacement? Also looking at turbo? Not sure what this would entail?
Running 38s, but only running a mild tune, no "hot-rodding" and just need as reliable tow rig for my race truck.
I appreciate any help and guidance provided on here.
Paul

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
The Fel-pro part number for the 18mm dowels is 26374 PT. 20mm is 26375 PT. Your build date should determine which ones you need. Sorry, I don't know exactly what that cutoff date is. Maybe someone else can pipe in with that information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm amazed the Fel Pro gaskets are only $41 a piece. In the performance world that just wouldn't be right. Guess my mind had been tainted.
Any suggestions of other things to have checked out while we have the cab off? Oil cooler is new. Thinking more of any inspection/maint. On hpop or turbo etc.

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
any 05 will be 18mm
I was thinking they commonized sometime in the '05 model year and some were 20mm and all '06+ were 20mm. Maybe it was '06 when this happened?

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
not all 06 are 20mm
the changeover was early 06

edit to ad
ubject: 2006 6.0L Diesel Power Stroke Cylinder Head Commonization
Effective Date: Ford Production Assembly Plants - January 11, 2006
Kentucky Truck Plant (Super Duty) & Lorraine Assembly Plant (Econoline)
Description
Changes are being made to the 6.0L diesel cylinder head, head gasket, crankcase block, rocker
arm carrier and injector hold down clamps for the 2006 Super Duty and Econoline Program. The
action is taking place to facilitate/communize the International manufacturing process for the
upcoming 6.4L program. The 2006 6.0L used in Ford vehicles after January 11, 2006 are being
referred to as "Commonization Engines

"Commonization of the 6.0L was on 1-11-06. Anything prior to that has an 18mm dowel. And that is the manufactured date of the engine, not the truck assembly date.

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
Would really like to know who put the motors in these trucks. We just had a 11/06 truck in for hg with 18mm. One would think if they comonized mid way through 06 like they say then 06/06 and up would be 20, but Noooo have to get an 06 apart to know which gasket set to use:doh:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
1/11/2006 should have been the change over date (I think it was a Thursday) but Ford rarely plays by their own rules

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
that late in the year I would never expected 18mm
they do say it is the date on the motor sticker , not door sticker

my 06 vin tells Sunrise mine has 20mm my motor build is late 05 so 20mm should not be possible
so lucky me I can't pre order my heads and gaskets although i am sure they are 18mm I am not betting $$

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
Yah I wouldn't bet money on anything date wise for Ford. Hell my 6.4 has a build date on the door sticker of 05/07!!! And it's a job 2 truck!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
So it seems like the fel pro gaskets have proven themselves over the last couple of years to be a good option, correct? I haven't been able to find any negative comments on them yet but going to have to pull the trigger on parts in the next couple of days.
As for the arp 2000 vs the arp 625+, is that extra 55 ft/lbs torque worth it? The 625+ is over double the cost but I don't mind spending the cash if it's worth it.

·
Diesel is Power!!!
194 Posts
FYI I now have 25k on my FelPro gaskets. Pulling my 11k camper and using my tunes. I'm happy so far. :thumb:

301 - 320 of 324 Posts