Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

281 - 300 of 324 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
He is using china heads ?

I can only imagine it is because he does not have the resources to score cores ?
Sorry I'm late to the party, I hadn't used my login info here in some time...had to go through the password reset procedure, I've just been too busy with work for internet forums lately, but this demanded my attention.

I have plenty of resources to find cores, some that I've dealt with for over 10 years, all across the US, if you want a used diesel part, I can find you 50 of them in 5 min, but when it comes to 6.0 cylinder heads I choose not to. I am not satisfied with ordering pallet after pallet of used cylinder heads, cleaning them, evaluating them, all of which costs money, only to find that 60% or more of the heads just are not up to my standards...maybe I'm just too picky, there are lots of shops that use what I would consider junk. There's more to this than most people realize, some shops are at the point of no return once the heads have been cleaned, as they aren't just throwing out a $100 dollar core head, they'd be throwing out a $100 dollar core head that they have dumped $200 bucks worth of disassembling, cleaning, magna fluxing, and pressure testing (assuming they were doing it right, many aren't even going that far)...now they're throwing out a $300 dollar head. I worked at a production rebuilder for a long time, I know that struggle well, all remanufactures do. Some shops use epoxy and expensive modified injector sleeves(UCF) because they can't afford to throw out the heads even though they have cracked injector bores. Searching for decent used core heads that weren't all busted on the deck surface between seats, or cracked down the glow plug hole, or cracked in the injector bore, or rotted from road salt... as time went on was proving to be more and more time consuming hunting for good quality cores, which costs money for the wrong reasons. That's just talking about the core castings, nevermind the fallout on valves and springs. I use all new quality valves and springs.

Please don't make the mistake of assuming that I am taking the cheap way out. I could patch together used heads like a lot of people do but I wanted something better. I'm not out to talk bad about another business, they just have a different way of doing things than I do, I've toured many other rebuilders and machine shops in the industry, including UCF, I've sold them pallets of cores that I didn't deem usable...again, not badmouthing, they do fine work, just a different way of doing things.

I searched through all of the available aftermarket castings, and during my time in the reman industry we saw them all...literally thousands of 6.0 heads per year, new castings from all the various suppliers, reman from previous rebuilds, some decent virgin OE cores...and obviously not all are created equal. I found a casting that I liked best, and worked directly with my supplier (Promaxx) to reach the latest updated version. I order the cylinder head castings bare and they go through a full blueprint to our proprietary specs - they receive our full multi angle valve seat profile, honed valve guides, modified valve recession and valve height to accommodate proper rocker and lifter geometry, fully pressure tested, then they are filled with quality valves, springs, retainers locks and valve stem seals, and of course our track tested o-ring setup...as you can see the only time we save is by not cleaning junk, these are NOT out of the box heads. These specs were developed over countless stock rebuilds, thousands of miles towing, tons of dyno time, hours at the track, combined with years in the racing industry - engines making well over 1,000 hp (our engine won Diesel Power Magazine's DPC in 2016 and 2017 in Charlie Keeter's 6.0), we have come to offer something we're proud of, and sustainable. Plus, speaking of cores, as an added bonus we don't have to mess around with a core charge and paying shipping back and forth.

I don't bring up any of this to brag, but only to say that I've seen the all choices out there for 6.0 cylinder heads, and I'll say this - I'm not into selling the cheapest diesel parts on the internet, I'd rather offer the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Sorry I'm late to the party, I hadn't used my login info here in some time...had to go through the password reset procedure, I've just been too busy with work for internet forums lately, but this demanded my attention.

I have plenty of resources to find cores, some that I've dealt with for over 10 years, all across the US, if you want a used diesel part, I can find you 50 of them in 5 min, but when it comes to 6.0 cylinder heads I choose not to. I am not satisfied with ordering pallet after pallet of used cylinder heads, cleaning them, evaluating them, all of which costs money, only to find that 60% or more of the heads just are not up to my standards...maybe I'm just too picky, there are lots of shops that use what I would consider junk. There's more to this than most people realize, some shops are at the point of no return once the heads have been cleaned, as they aren't just throwing out a $100 dollar core head, they'd be throwing out a $100 dollar core head that they have dumped $200 bucks worth of disassembling, cleaning, magna fluxing, and pressure testing (assuming they were doing it right, many aren't even going that far)...now they're throwing out a $300 dollar head. I worked at a production rebuilder for a long time, I know that struggle well, all remanufactures do. Some shops use epoxy and expensive modified injector sleeves(UCF) because they can't afford to throw out the heads even though they have cracked injector bores. Searching for decent used core heads that weren't all busted on the deck surface between seats, or cracked down the glow plug hole, or cracked in the injector bore, or rotted from road salt... as time went on was proving to be more and more time consuming hunting for good quality cores, which costs money for the wrong reasons. That's just talking about the core castings, nevermind the fallout on valves and springs. I use all new quality valves and springs.

Please don't make the mistake of assuming that I am taking the cheap way out. I could patch together used heads like a lot of people do but I wanted something better. I'm not out to talk bad about another business, they just have a different way of doing things than I do, I've toured many other rebuilders and machine shops in the industry, including UCF, I've sold them pallets of cores that I didn't deem usable...again, not badmouthing, they do fine work, just a different way of doing things.

I searched through all of the available aftermarket castings, and during my time in the reman industry we saw them all...literally thousands of 6.0 heads per year, new castings from all the various suppliers, reman from previous rebuilds, some decent virgin OE cores...and obviously not all are created equal. I found a casting that I liked best, and worked directly with my supplier (Promaxx) to reach the latest updated version. I order the cylinder head castings bare and they go through a full blueprint to our proprietary specs - they receive our full multi angle valve seat profile, honed valve guides, modified valve recession and valve height to accommodate proper rocker and lifter geometry, fully pressure tested, then they are filled with quality valves, springs, retainers locks and valve stem seals, and of course our track tested o-ring setup...as you can see the only time we save is by not cleaning junk, these are NOT out of the box heads. These specs were developed over countless stock rebuilds, thousands of miles towing, tons of dyno time, hours at the track, combined with years in the racing industry - engines making well over 1,000 hp (our engine won Diesel Power Magazine's DPC in 2016 and 2017 in Charlie Keeter's 6.0), we have come to offer something we're proud of, and sustainable. Plus, speaking of cores, as an added bonus we don't have to mess around with a core charge and paying shipping back and forth.

I don't bring up any of this to brag, but only to say that I've seen the all choices out there for 6.0 cylinder heads, and I'll say this - I'm not into selling the cheapest diesel parts on the internet, I'd rather offer the best.

If charlie at KC turbo is selling them and stand behind them. I would buy a set

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts

If charlie at KC turbo is selling them and stand behind them. I would buy a set
I've never met Jared or Charlie face to face . I probably never will . I purchased from both
and totally trust their judgement . My dealings with both were straight up and I have no
qualms about future purchases from both . :smile2::smile2::smile2:

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
I was hoping you would chime in

I always respected both Charlie and yourself (Jared/Gearhead2012)

it's just really hard to consider buying these castings when for years they have been on the DNB list

I need a set of heads yesterday lol I was going with UCF and secretly hoping Jared would have a set of his OEM core remans pop up in the mean time

then this Huge CHINA Is OK bombshell ( whats next? it is ok to play with fire and run with scissors? LOL) . the big upside is i can have these at the ready and not worry about cores but
I am having a problem with talking myself in to them

do you have a website Jared ? @Gearhead2012

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
^^ Boat, the same one we are in.
(In my best Yoda voice)

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I was hoping you would chime in

I always respected both Charlie and yourself (Jared/Gearhead2012)

it's just really hard to consider buying these castings when for years they have been on the DNB list

I need a set of heads yesterday lol I was going with UCF and secretly hoping Jared would have a set of his OEM core remans pop up in the mean time

then this Huge CHINA Is OK bombshell ( whats next? it is ok to play with fire and run with scissors? LOL) . the big upside is i can have these at the ready and not worry about cores but
I am having a problem with talking myself in to them

do you have a website Jared ? @Gearhead2012

I was adverse to the imported castings for a long time also, seeing some of the cheaper castings fail as cores made me nervous. The thing I've learned is, not all of the new castings are the same, and Promaxx has been very good about working directly with THEIR supplier to update the castings where needed. The castings are smoke tested, then pressure tested before they get to promaxx, then promaxx roughes in the castings, they also pressure test them, debur pushrod holes, and generally QC them, then I get them and really put them under the microscope for their full blue printing. I offer a warranty, but I havenet ever had any of these come back. There are at least 3 different places casting them, all with different variations for their different clients, so all new castings are NOT created equally, which is where a lot of be confusion lies.

Our website is currently under construction, starting from scratch. Charlie Fish will have them added to his website in the next few days, before ours is up and running. I can send you pictures in a PM or text if you want, and if anyone needs my contact our number is (757)*412-5996, feel free to reach out if you have questions, happy to help.

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
you are correct

In His defense, I did ask for contact ( not that I am above the rules ) and he was drug into this thread against his will LOL

also I am not sure this is impacting any vendors heads sales?

but I will modify some items if we do get a complaint

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
So, are we banning Zmann or what?
As punishment for his crimes, he should ban himself :look:

I view this as clarification more than I do an attempted sale...

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts
Charlie is a vendor and sells these heads so we could consider Gearheads post just clarification or a vendor sold product

sound fair ?
My bad... I had asked Jared to clarify not even thinking about the rules and forgetting he is not a vendor. Feel free to take the posts down if they are violating anything.

I will have to try and be more eloquent with my words LOL.. Jared just says it so much better than me.

·
Super Moderator
5,946 Posts
My bad... I had asked Jared to clarify not even thinking about the rules and forgetting he is not a vendor. Feel free to take the posts down if they are violating anything.

I will have to try and be more eloquent with my words LOL.. Jared just says it so much better than me.
I didn't see any point where he made an attempt to sell, the only issue I can see is with the contact number. I would rather the info stay available, might just need to clean up some wording. Even with the phone number, the intent was information.

Reactions: HP MACHINE

·
Administrator
29,323 Posts
I think all is well
unless a paying vendor complaints and honestly I am not sure I see any real COC issues at first glance

so lets carry on this China Head Discussion ;-) I still need persuading LOL

a china casting can look perfect but have metallurgical issues
that being said the end users results seem like they are stacking up good results for the heads Gearhead is building

·
Registered
143 Posts
has anyone had any luck with the fel pro gaskets? its been a few years sense they came out.:laugh2:

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
has anyone had any luck with the fel pro gaskets? its been a few years sense they came out.:laugh2:
I haven't heard/read of anyone that's used them having a subsequent failure, but I think most are still sticking with the OEM or VR gaskets. I just completed my stud job and I used the Fel-Pro's. I can't give you any real data yet since they currently have less than 100 miles on them. They did seem to be very high quality gaskets though.

Reactions: Heavy_GD
281 - 300 of 324 Posts