Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. i want to hear everyone elses opinions on the matter.. i used to have an '05 6.0 and now i have an '03 7.3.. now i know the stats on both of them.. and in my opinion the 7.3 pulls better.. im not sure why.. or if anyone else feels the same way.. but it just seems that maybe they overrated the 6.0 to get people to want to buy it.. or maybe they underrated the 7.3.. i dont know.. i was just wondering if anyone else feels that way??

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
All that I know is that my 6.0 can't hold highway speed while towing so it will scream at about 2800 RPM's. The 7.3's I've driven hold their speed and just cruise along.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
I think maybe your comparing engine RPMs. The 6.0l will rev higher than the 7.3 to do the same work. I have never been in a 7.3 that pulled like a 6.0 stock vrs. stock.

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
7.3 for me....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think maybe your comparing engine RPMs. The 6.0l will rev higher than the 7.3 to do the same work. I have never been in a 7.3 that pulled like a 6.0 stock vrs. stock.
well if it has to pull higher rpms to do the same work doesnt that mean that it is straining a little more?? granted the 6.0 is faster.. but in my opinion if i wanted something fast id buy a cobra..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2001 f250 7.3 super cab single wheel, I want a F350 crew cab dually, Im not sure what to go with, the 7.3 or the 6.0 in a 2006, or 2007. Any advice, Please.
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
ive towed with both and honestly i thought the 6.0 was better with towing. especially the torqueshift trans and tow haul mode is a plus.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
ive towed with both and honestly i thought the 6.0 was better with towing. especially the torqueshift trans and tow haul mode is a plus.
I agree, My 6.0L pulls great, But no help here, I never had a 7.3L. My buddy does and he has commend my truck with a load behind it.

Good luck

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well everytime we head to fla. w/ a trailer full of bikes my 7.3 doesn't even flinch through the hills. Last spring a couple guys followed us in a newer chevy w/a 4.3 so they could save gas and had to ring its neck just to keep up and they got 10mpg compared to our 15! :icon_ford:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
well i know in my 6.0 i was pulling a jeep back from florida.. and it searched for gears when i got back to the tennessee hills.. and i pulled a fourwheeler and a toyota pickup.. (im assuming thats really close to the same weight) with my 7.3 and didnt even notice an rpm drop hardly.. im not saying the 6.0 is a bad motor by any means.. its just that i think myself the 7.3 is underrated

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
well i know in my 6.0 i was pulling a jeep back from florida.. and it searched for gears when i got back to the tennessee hills.. and i pulled a fourwheeler and a toyota pickup.. (im assuming thats really close to the same weight) with my 7.3 and didnt even notice an rpm drop hardly.. im not saying the 6.0 is a bad motor by any means.. its just that i think myself the 7.3 is underrated
were both trucks chipped?

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
They both tow well.

Stock vs stock - the 6.0 has major help with the torqshift tranny.

I of course have a truck that's no where near stock, with a BTS tranny and well... towing a 23 foot enclosed while moving was a peice of cake on windy, hilly backroads. Sure, the tow tune from DP helped too :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
personally the 7.3 for me. but not because it will outpull the 6.0. my reasoning is simply because of the reliability issues the 6.0 has. my freind has a 2004 6.0 and it has been nothing but a headache for him. but when his 6.0 is working good, it pulls like no-ones business.

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
ive pulled my 24 foot enclosed with a stock 7.3 and a stock 6.0 , fact for fact they both pull good but the 6.o has to stay at higher rpms to keep up the same pace , but does have the trans that helps , if the 7.3 had torque shift trans to help it along , i think that would be the winning combo, the 7.3 has been known to be produce slightly more torque which i think gives it the advantage of a more consistent pull on level or rolling terrain :thumb:

oh yeah , marty dont you get tired of bragging on how bad your truck is :hehe::hehe:

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
in stock mode last Thursday. 100 70lb bales of hay a 20 ft 2800lb bumper bull trailer and my crew cab 4x4 in 25-30mph head winds with gusts to 50 at 60 mph from Brock, TX back to Arlington I was getting 14.5 mpg loaded.

Last october with no major winds with 132 75 to 80lb bales on the same trailer from Denton back to Arlington I was getting 16.5.

Both are at 70 to 75 mph.

The only 7.3 I owned was a 95 F350 and by 6.0 kills it.....

I have had problems with my 6.0
New Turbo at 55k
1 egr cooler problem
Just had the FICM replaced at 76K
Had the AC unit inthe dash fail

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
663 Posts
A wise auto shop teacher told me there was no substitute for cubic inches, I love my 7.3.

·
Registered
999 Posts
loved both my 6.0's one was an 04 traded for the crew cab i have now i like the 7.3 but my 6.0 is fun to drive all the time

Matt

·
Registered
457 Posts
There ain't no replacement for displacement!!! To me the 7.3 was designed to work and last, a true work horse. While the 6.0 was designed to more responsive, quick, and super strong in short bursts, more like a race horse. So I guess it comes down to what you use your truck for play, work, or both? Or what it is you look for in a truck? Personally I tend to like the 7.3 better but the 6.0 is a good motor (granted if you don't have any problems). If the 7.3 was modified and placed in an '05-newer truck with the auto 5spd. torque shift it would be the best truck on the market bar none. You can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i live in albuqeruqe and i have my dads old truck a 97 powerstroke. he now has a 04 6.0 and the 6.0 tows his 12,000 pound trailer better that my truck with all of the goodys even intercooler! dont know if sea level makes a differs with the turbo.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts