Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 VS 6.4

2K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  Powerstrokin03 
#1 ·
Greetings y'all. well i am on the fence about trading in my 20mpg 2006 dodge cummins combo. I want to get a ford. I am looking for the comfort and ride and the space for the kids and the wife and me. i had a 2003 6.0 that spent more time in the shop than the drive way seemed like. Thats how i got the dodge. I am tired of it . i have tried to sell it for 2 years and now takers. now with the price down i could probably trade and be ok. so as the title hints which one 6.0 or 6.4. will have to keep this one fro a loooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg time. how is they both doing with a new engine and one with a bad reputation? how does it do in the cold? The Cummins i have has never once missed a beat but i think i have had enuff of riding a wood wagon. need unbiased input for longevity and reliability. TIA.

#2 ·
Out of these choices, I personally would go for the 6.4, but in your situation, I wouldn't limit myself to only two choices! The 6.4 will drop that 20 mpg down to between 12 & 14, and with fuel prices what they are, that'll get old quick! However, the 08's have a modern looking, comfy interior which was way overdue for Ford.

It sounds like you want to keep your ride newer, but I would choose a 7.3 over the 6.0

If you were to keep all of your options open, and your looking for comfort & ride & are not brand loyal, my 2 top choices would be the 04 - 07 Duramax, and the 08 Cummins. Duramax = sweet interior, super comfortable, ride like a caddy, and a good motor. I just dont like the look of the 08's. I dont have any personal experiance with the Cummins, but I hear the new trucks ride really nice, and that motor is just sweet!

#16 ·
agreed i love my 7.3 the 6.0 may have the lariat and stuff but i will have to say, you can awalys swat interiors or custom fab up some stuff

#3 ·

I just had a 2006 6.0 replaced by Ford with the 6.4. The 6.0 was nice but mine also spent a lot of time in the shop. As for the mileage on the 2008. I am still under 500 miles on the new 2008 6.4. On the freeway keeping her at 65 I am getting 18 to 19 MPG. I have the 2008, Lariat, Crew Cab, 4x4, 3.73 rear gear ratio, 18 inch tires. My 6.0 had the same features and about the same mileage. Around town 13 to 15 MPG. The rear gear ratio is a huge factor for mileage. If you go 6.4 stick with the job 3. The job 1's have a couple recalls and have been sitting for a year or longer. Job 2's have one recall. Job 3's no recalls. I love the 6.4, quiet, mileage better than I thought, solid ride.

#4 ·
On the mileage -- Mine with 15,000 bounces around it seems.
Sometimes it will show 19 with the cruise set, other 15. In town
can range from 12 to 14. From what people say about there trucks
it really depends on the truck, some get good others dont. Only
thing the truck has been in for are recalls. As for the ride I think
my King Ranch 4x4 with 20" tires, is rough and jerky on back roads
the interstate driving is not bad.

#6 ·
having just traded an 05 6.0 in for a 6.4 i would consider a few things. it seems like the 6.0 was hit or miss with milage. some claim 20+ mine only saw better than 13 twice. chipped and exhaust. the 6.4 is gonna give you around 12 if you are 50%town 50% highway. for under 1500 you could see the 20 you are getting now with a new tuner. the 6.4 definatly has more power and the inside is nicer. the problem is it all costs. you'll spend double on a 6.4 what you would spend on a compable 6.0. the advantages are there you just have to see if it's worth it.

#7 ·
Since when did this turn in to a Dodge forum. Dude, I have a 2008 F350CC LWB Dually KING RANCH. I did a DPF delete and SPARTAN, and am very impressed with this truck. I have 4.10s and i am avg. 16.5 mixed, 19.7 on the HWY. If you get a truck w/ 3.73s I see it being easily possible to get that 20mpgs again

GO FORD!!

#8 ·
yeah go with the newer 6.4 unless you can find a really good deal on a 07 6.0. and just make sure you get the 3.73 gears and you will be set.

#9 ·
6.4 with DPF delete and tuner will get you the 20 mpg you want. The question is whether or not you want to throw your warranty away...

#10 ·
OK So it may seem like I am Goffin' Here" But it is just not the case.
6.4L with 4:88's= Just right under 14. (13.7-14.3) All hand calc
Ain't great, but boy is she a nice rig
AND I can pull the house off the property if the repo man comes:tard:
~Mike~

#11 ·
#12 ·
Personal experience - my 06 6.0 has been very reliable for 79k miles. OASIS showed one injector replaced + egr clean at 50k miles. I lost a radiator hose at 75k. Otherwise, it's been fuel and go. This is with no performance mods, box stock. I'll probably leave it that way, a lot of 6.0 woes seem to begin with a tuner and excessive EGT. Besides, I can't afford to drive fast any more.

Mileage has been pretty good, considering what it is. Typical is 15 mixed city/hwy, and if I didn't have to pull a long hill near my house, it's more like 16. Around 18-19 at 65, 20-21 at 55. And that's an F350 with crew cab and dually rear. Not bad at all. These numbers were achieved by adjusting driving patterns - slow starts, keep it under 10psi boost, avoid rush hour traffic, coast early rather than brake late, things like that. When I drove it without paying any attention to fuel use (those were the days!), I was getting around 12.5 - 13 mixed city/hwy.

Not saying all 06's are perfect, but from what I've heard around here, my experience has been the rule rather than the exception. If I were in the market, I'd be looking seriously at 06's, as they didn't have the problems of the 03s and 04s, and didn't have the DPF of the 07 and 08. So you get the better mileage of no DPF, and don't lose your warranty.

And if it's for your family, hold out for a King Ranch. The interior puts a Lincoln Navigator to shame.

#13 ·
I agree mileages vary greatly from one truck to another. My stock 250 does very good on fuel. Drove 66 mph yesterday around 750 miles and overall average was 20.7.

#15 ·
I think the biggest factor on fuel milage is your driving habit and your truck.
I see some posting 20+ MPG but most I have seen are 2wd. I have lifted my truck and put 35's on it, I am still getting 10 city and 13-14 HWY. I have noticed a big difference when I watch my turbo guage and keep it under 20.

#17 ·
I own a Dodge with a 6.7, a Dodge with a 5.9 and a Ford with a 6.4. The Ford is the meanest looking truck I have and the interior is very nice. Mileage is not great 12 to 13 empty and 8 to 9 pulling. It has plenty of power but I feel it doesn't handle the weight as nice as the Dodges I own. I think this is due to it riding nicer when unloaded. I also think the brakes are lacking compared to the Dodges. I can't give an opinion on the 6.0 because I don't own one. I would keep the Dodge if you are concerned about mileage and reliability because the 5.9 is proven just like the 7.3 was. If you want a new truck the Ford is a nice vehicle but for me I like the Dodges way better or even an older 7.3. I am selling my Ford with a 6.4 because I think it was built for the occasional hauler, not full time hauling and it just won't hold up like the Dodges (Cummins) will. Put a Cummins in a Ford and I'm sold!This is just my personal opinion though:thumb:

#18 ·
Put a Cummins in a Ford and I'm sold!This is just my personal opinion though:thumb:
You're not the first person to say this either :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.