Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen instructions for a 6.0 cooler on superdutys but never any obs trucks. will it still work? Is it a direct bolt on replacement or do you have to mod stuff? Will the 32 row fit on it because i can get one for $150.

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
Grab it quick that's a great price on a 6.0 cooler shouldn't be too hard to mount and adapt for an OBS

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason is because I am having a ford tranny guy rebuild mine and I didn't know if it was a direct bolt on. how hard is it? What will I need?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not a direct bolt on as the factory trans cooler goes through the radiator, they are usually mounted in front of the radiator or i think some have put them in the bumper

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So does the trans cooler just plug into the old lines?

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
All thats really needed and will cool fantastic is a Trucool and swaping to SD 3/8" lines.
Mount the cooler on the back of the bumper.

SD trans lines

Line F81Z-7A031CE

Line F81Z-7A030CA

By Pass Tube 2C3Z-7H322-BA

LPD47391 Tru-Cool

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will I have to open up the trans to do it?

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
The SD coolers are huge and cool well but the tru-cool units are a much cleaner install and cool very well

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Forget the TruCool, it's smaller than a 6.0. Get the 6.0.

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
Guess it depends on what it's going to be used for and how much the truck weighs.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
A 6.0 cooler is good for 40,000lb gvw rating... tru-cool maxx = 40,000lb gvw....

Specs are specs.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
FWIW i have had both in 2 different trucks and haven't noticed any differences in cooling...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So let me get this straight, I can get a tru cool for less money then a used 6.0 cooler, with the same performance. Also, the tru cool is better since there is more room for an intercooler?

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Correct..this is because of where it mounts on a OBS, SD use the 31 row cooler..that goes in place of the stocker thats behind the A/C coil.

Don't forget to upgrade to SD lines and bypass.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, so I looked at them and there is an option for a sd install kit. I assume I would not need this since the mounting points can be used from my stock trans cooler?

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Okay, so I looked at them and there is an option for a sd install kit. I assume I would not need this since the mounting points can be used from my stock trans cooler?
Your stock cooler on an OBS truck is a few loops in the RAD. FWIW i will be going with the truecool on the dually build.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts