Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1999 F-250 Supercab White 7.3
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newly bought 99 has 101K miles. I want to change the AT fluid etc. But I see on this forum that a 6.0 cooler change recommended or equivalent. I read using a junk yard used unit is a bad idea. I see CNC and others sell the Mishimoto unit, which looks very nice, for around $350. Man I'm a little stretched on funds after getting truck etc and was wondering if their are any other cooler alternatives that I am missing? Where does one get a 6.0 Ford AT cooler? I see Rockauto has some coolers for maybe $200, who knows quality?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
buy the Ford brand. cant go wrong and the best made.

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
I installed the Dorman brand 6.0l cooler purchased from xdp diesel. They are a forum vendor and a reputable site. I have been running it since 2016 problem free. 120+ degree summers and -25 in the winter no issues. Call them for their pricebeat and shop around to find the lowest one and let them beat it. stay away from Mishi if you can.

i tried a junkyard unit and it leaked the same day. Ford had been out for a while so took a chance and it happened to work nicely.

·
Administrator
30,450 Posts
Junkyard unit could be 0-100% clogged and you wouldn't know it
not worth the risk I am not a Mishi or Dorman fan but both those seem to have ok feedback and the mishi is already setup for the 7.3 hose size

personally I went OEm when i needed one and it was a tough $ pill to swallow

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
personally I went OEm when i needed one and it was a tough $ pill to swallow
caster oil is way tougher to swallow. I know and that was 50 years ago

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
137 Posts
Never install a used cooler with unknown history. It may have come off a transmission that had a failure and is full of metal. Or coolant contamination.

I purchased a Dorman from Rockauto about 6 years and 60,000 miles ago. IIRC, it was about $177. The plumbing fittings i came up with to adapt the 1/2" cooler to the 3/8" truck lines were another $25 at the place I purchase my marine engine supplies. My trans temps dropped 35% from where they were before the cooler. Both the cooler itself and the installation are still totally dry. No seeps. One of the better mods I've done to the truck.

IMO, the "best" mod I've done to the truck is the electric tailgate lock.

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
Never install a used cooler with unknown history. It may have come off a transmission that had a failure and is full of metal. Or coolant contamination.

I purchased a Dorman from Rockauto about 6 years and 60,000 miles ago. IIRC, it was about $177. The plumbing fittings i came up with to adapt the 1/2" cooler to the 3/8" truck lines were another $25 at the place I purchase my marine engine supplies. My trans temps dropped 35% from where they were before the cooler. Both the cooler itself and the installation are still totally dry. No seeps. One of the better mods I've done to the truck.

You need to just write a book already with your electrical mods and sell it lol... I still want to find a way to get down to your neck of the woods and have your help in installing an anti theft system like yours. I saved the message from your original account just in case I make it that way.

Reactions: DaveP's Ghost

·
Registered
137 Posts
I still want to find a way to get down to your neck of the woods and have your help in installing an anti theft system like yours.
The offer still stands, but you may not want to stay around and watch. I get in deep, what I do is not for the feint of heart if electrical work is mysterious to you.

I'll come back and clean this thread-jack out after Justin sees it.<< DONE!

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
The offer still stands, but you may not want to stay around and watch. I get in deep, what I do is not for the feint of heart if electrical work is mysterious to you. Here's some pics of mine from earlier this year. I cleaned things up and made a few changes to the system I origionally installed in 2008:

I'll come back and clean this thread-jack out after Justin sees it.

no problem. I know when experts do what they need I stand back and electrical is one of many i'll sit back on haha. I honestly feel this next coming summer I may be able to make a trip. Be fun to travel again and I've met a few from the forum and one is a guy I still keep in touch with back from 2016. Thanks for the pics and the remaining offer. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I installed the Dorman brand 6.0l cooler purchased from xdp diesel. They are a forum vendor and a reputable site. I have been running it since 2016 problem free. 120+ degree summers and -25 in the winter no issues. Call them for their pricebeat and shop around to find the lowest one and let them beat it. stay away from Mishi if you can.

i tried a junkyard unit and it leaked the same day. Ford had been out for a while so took a chance and it happened to work nicely.
SO.....WHY STAY AWAY FROM THE MISHIMOTO COOLER?....(STARTING TO GATHER MY "OVER THE WINTER" PARTS FOR SPRING INSTALL).....

CAN YOU PLEASE SEND ME THE INFORMATION OR A LINK ON HOW TO INSTALL AN ELETRIC TAILGATE LOCK ON MY TRUCK.....

THANKS.....

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
SO.....WHY STAY AWAY FROM THE MISHIMOTO COOLER?....(STARTING TO GATHER MY "OVER THE WINTER" PARTS FOR SPRING INSTALL).....

CAN YOU PLEASE SEND ME THE INFORMATION OR A LINK ON HOW TO INSTALL AN ELETRIC TAILGATE LOCK ON MY TRUCK.....

THANKS.....
It's the same as installing a door lock. Two relays, an actuator and a switch.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here's a link to the part.

If your truck has power locks, or remote keyless entry, the easiest way to wire it is to tap the power lock wires in the sill-plate harness. When you unlock the passenger or rear doors, the tail gate actuates as well.

I used two relays for the tailgate, and made the tailgate independent of the door locks so that I could use the "trunk release" button on my aftermarket system for the tailgate only. But the tailgate is also on the door switches, and the RKE's second unlock.

·
Registered
928 Posts
^^^THANK YOU.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
On kind of the same line here has anyone done a filter swap. Using a say 06 F350 factory filter in an earlier model even back to like the OBS trucks? Seems like this could be done with bracket and line mods correct? Was just in the candy store today (salvage yard) to get another seat and did not think of looking for that part as I was busy looking at all the other parts I could use in my next life.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Has anyone done a filter swap. Using a say 06 F350 factory filter in an earlier model ......... Seems like this could be done with bracket and line mods correct?
The 4R100 has the external cooler line bypass. It is located between the cooler inlet and outlet on the passenger side of the trans case. This bypass is normally closed, but will open at a certain pressure if there is excessive back-pressure in the cooler circuit. Your inline filter will increase back-pressure in the cooler circuit, and the bypass may open sooner, and be open more frequently than it would be without the filter. When the bypass is open, the coolers are short-circuited, hot fluid does not go to the cooler, it goes directly back to the transmission.

The internal filter is large and robust. Change it an interval you're comfortable with (I tow 5,500 lbs 80% of the time, my interval is 30-35,000 miles), and you'll be fine. Plus you have to remove the pan to change the internal filter. Tihs gives you an opportunity to look in the pan for any debris that shouldn't be there, giving you advance warning of impending failure. This is the most important part of a trans service >> Look in the pan, and see what's in it. Hopefully nothing other than a grey dust you can write in with your finger (converter clutch), which is normal.

Parts left out cost nothing, cause no service issues, and won't cause a problem where none existed before it was installed.

·
Administrator
30,450 Posts
Agreed that remote 6.0 filter is not ideal even for the 6.0 IMO and it has a bypass function also

·
Registered
171 Posts
Now I did not know about the bypass. But the filter part I think is a good idea as most filters in trans are to catch big parts. But if it gets into a cooler line now that is off the converter so is hot from that or am I not correct here?

·
Administrator
30,450 Posts
the internal filter on a 6.0 is a screen the later 6.4 uses a normal filter media

Dave P knows the 7.3 stuff, and he says the filter is good on yours ,, I trust him

·
Registered
137 Posts
I did not know about the bypass.
It indeed has a bypass, and installing a restriction in the cooler lines will cause the bypass to open sooner, and more frequently.
One more thing about the "cooler circuit". The return port on the case goes directly to the center support where it is distributed as LUBE throughout the rotating parts, particularly the planetary gears. This is why there is a bypass, so if there is restriction in the cooler circuit, the lube circuit still recieves adequate flow. Hot oil is better than no oil.

But the filter part I think is a good idea as most filters in trans are to catch big parts.
You are correct in that SOME transmissions only have "screens" rather than filters. These screens are to keep big pieces out of the pump. (Same idea as the screen on the engine oil pump pick up.) Early ford transmissions such as the C4, C5, C6 all used screens, not filters. The 4R100 does have an actual filter, and it has a lot of area and capacity. Additional filtration in the cooler line will only add restrictions that will open the bypass and cause the transmission to run hotter than it will with the bypass closed.

But if it gets into a cooler line now that is off the converter so is hot from that or am I not correct here?
Not sure what you are asking. I am not intimately familiar with the 4R100, so I don't know exactly where the cooler flow originates from, but with the converter unlocked, converter-out probably goes directly to the cooler, and an unlocked converter can produce a lot of heat, depending on load. With the converter locked, which it is most of the time above 2nd gear, the locked converter isn't adding much heat to the fluid regardless of how it flows to the coolers. In 4th gear with the converter locked, the most heat is generated by the rear planetary gear set.

Sorry, you're not going to convince me that adding a filter to the cooler lines in a 4R100 that still has the factory bypass is a good idea. It's not. And it isn't necessary. The one in the pan is adequate.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As I said I did not know the things you are bringing up and this is why I am asking. It is much better to ask first than do and stumble through and do more damage than if you were to ask questions first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts