Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ran my tow tune the other day with the boat and the next day I left it on for daily driving. I really like the throttle response driving around town. Anyone see any issues running this tune for daily driving. My 2006 is studded and fully bullet proofed.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I have been running the MPD tow tune in my truck for the last few months. I have plenty of power and my transmission seems to operate the smoothest on this tune. I personally do not see any issue running a tow tune as a daily driver. It has probably increased the life expectancy of my tires as well.
BTL

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
No issues running a tow tune as a DD at all. I have done it in the past, and I know others here do it as well.

-jokester

Reactions: Irloy

·
california deplorable
10,629 Posts
i run looney or street from vivian at quicktricks as my daily and sometimes go to my tow tune for winter and have for years...no issues at all unless you consider it running better an issue :D

·
I win....
1,327 Posts
Ive been running Nate @WPE's Agressive Tow tune for about 2yrs now as a daily tune.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Do you guys that run tow tune have the what ya call jack break on?

The truck I just picked up has a custom tow tune but the exhaust turbo what ever style jack brake is on and really sucks with it bogging down with the slightest throttle realese. Plus seems I have to push the throttle in to go more than I think it should be. Feels like half throttle needed just for normal take off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m not a mechanic but you may want to check for leaks around the intercooler pipe boots. They are known to fail over time on the 6.0’s and can cause significant loss of power.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have run a tow tune and ficm tuning everyday for 5 years. I am not studded and tow regularly. I have more aggressive tunes but since I tow a 5th wheel once a month or so I just keep the tow tune loaded.

·
Administrator
29,345 Posts
Jake Brake
A compression release engine brake, frequently called a Jake brake or Jacobs brake, is an engine braking mechanism installed on some diesel engines. When activated, it opens exhaust valves in the cylinders, releasing the compressed air trapped in the cylinders, and slowing the vehicle.

Although Jake brake properly refers to the Jacobs brand of engine brakes, the term has become a genericized trademark and is often used to refer to engine brakes or compression release engine brakes in general, especially on large vehicles or heavy equipment.

They are often not allowed in to be used in towns as they create loud, clattering noises.
our tunes are not true Jake brakes but some mimic the behavior pretty well

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts

The truck I just picked up has a custom tow tune but the exhaust turbo what ever style jack brake is on and really sucks with it bogging down with the slightest throttle realese. Plus seems I have to push the throttle in to go more than I think it should be. Feels like half throttle needed just for normal take off.
I had the turbo brake on all the time after I found out about it, with Tow/Haul enable I often didn't need to hit the brakes till 25-30 MPH.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Jake Brake
A compression release engine brake, frequently called a Jake brake or Jacobs brake, is an engine braking mechanism installed on some diesel engines. When activated, it opens exhaust valves in the cylinders, releasing the compressed air trapped in the cylinders, and slowing the vehicle.

Although Jake brake properly refers to the Jacobs brand of engine brakes, the term has become a genericized trademark and is often used to refer to engine brakes or compression release engine brakes in general, especially on large vehicles or heavy equipment.

They are often not allowed in to be used in towns as they create loud, clattering noises.
our tunes are not true Jake brakes but some mimic the behavior pretty well
I'll admit I'm a bit paranoid, mainly hurting anything on this engine, this "turbo brake" was a pretty powerful feeling and so I turned it off. It just felt like it was pretty aggressive to me but the 6.0 is new to me.

A lot difference from this and my 6.7

So, I guess it really don't hurt the engine to have it on or maybe I mean hurt the turbo to have it on?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts