Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bored and I used to love all the build threads when forums were in their heyday. So I figured I'd do one for my truck.

I am a travel nurse. My wife, 3 yr old daughter and I have been traveling around the country with a 33.5' 5th wheel. When we decided to do this I started looking for a truck and the 6.0 just seamed like a solid platform for a good price so I found a clean 2007 CCSB that was stock with an 8" PC lift. I planned on doing all the update stuff before we took off. My brother owns a fab shop with a lift so I do all the work myself with his help.

First thing was to pull the lift. I found a guy selling all the stock stuff for $100. Pulled the lift and dropped it to stock with a leveling kit I got off amazon. I didn't have any u-bolts that would work with the f250 blocks so I had to use the 1" blocks that came with the leveling kit. It was squatted and I wasn't a fan, but my trailer still sat up in the front so I never but the bigger blocks in. 3 yrs later and I just don't care anymore. After on top, how I bought it on the bottom.

I did the typical stuff first and the new oil cooler clogged back up in about 3 days. For the next couple months I would backlash the cooer weekly with diminishing results. At this point I was researching my options and didn't like any of them. I decided to build my own kit as I wanted to keep the stock oil filter and I wanted an external liquid-to-liquid cooler with a pre-filter. I decided on a BPD manifold on the engine with the IPR filter (with an extra mesh filter) and 6.7 cooler. We built our own lines and build a bracket to mount the cooler behind the bumper on the passenger side behind the bumper. I had to stop on the side of the road at least 15 times in the first 6 months because the filter would clog solid. Its been about 2 1/2 yrs and I clean it every so often and its not bad.

After that the truck ran great for a couple months other than the vanes were sticking on the turbo. I was always in a hurry every time the turbo was out so never cleaned in. Well, they let loose climbing a hill at about 80mph towing car on a trailer. Threw an over boost code and went into limp mode. After that coolant would come out of the cap if it boosted over 22psi, as long as I stayed under everything was fine. So I started looking into the best fix. Ended up going with KDD heads (back when you had to wait forever for them), ARP studs, Warren 190/30's, ODawgs S2R, new up-pipes, Discrete regulated return, S&B intake, and a few other things. Lifted the cab and did all the stuff at once. I just couldn't decide on a turbo so I went with a KC DIY 63.5/64 w/ 10 blade to hold me over while I decided.

I had a solenoid go out on the #7 injector after a couple months but everything has been great since then. The trucks towed our 13,000lb'ish 5th wheel all over the country. We've been TX, OR, UT, CO, AZ and now FL. I am loving the low elevation!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did have the trans go out on me when I was in Denver so I got a Warren Comp + that I got threw Andy Garrett. That dude always comes threw for me no matter where I am. Rented an engine hoist and trans jack and changed it by myself next to the RV. That was quite the job but the trans has been amazing. Also did the Mishimoto cooler.

Jeeps a diesel too! 3.0L Mercedes. Thing kicks ***.

Just had to move the power steering cooler up a bit.

Just ordered a KC Stage 2 so I should get a good bump in power, lower egts, and more fun! Should have it one this weekend.
Running GH, TSD and Warren tunes.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Cool build man. I had the KC Stage 2 on my 6.0 but I had far less performance mods done than you and I loved it. With your bigger injectors and the Odawg intake that thing is going to be a beast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool build man. I had the KC Stage 2 on my 6.0 but I had far less performance mods done than you and I loved it. With your bigger injectors and the Odawg intake that thing is going to be a beast.
Ya, it should be fun. I feel like the intercooler is a ticking time bomb at this point?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I did have to replace mine after the Stage 2 install now that you mention it. I was chasing a different problem that turned out to be tuning related and stumbled on a blown on out intercooler in the process. I highly recommend the tuner that works with KC turbos if you are considering tunes still. I couldn't believe how well my rig ran with those tunes compared to the other tuners I had tried.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who’s that? TSD? I have their SPD currently and it’s great. It shifted better with my stock trans but it’s still good.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yeah. I had that and then they made me a tow tune that was phenomenal. The tow tune was the best all around tune I ran since whenever I was pulling something I was pushing 30k with truck and trailer. It had great street manners and plenty of power. Then I would load up the SPD whenever I had to drive the truck a ways and I never knew it could run like that lol. They hands down were the best tuner for the 6.0 I found.

Reactions: stubs179

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really liked the SPD tune until i got the Warren Comp+ trans. Now it shifts a little funky. I really like the way my GH tune shifts with the new trans. The Warren tow tune is my favorite. It has the T/H OD lockout which is great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got the new KC Stage 2 turbo in and what a difference. I changed the power delivery and even the sound of the engine. My wife says its more "rumbly" now. haha. It spools just as fast as the old turbo but starts coming on a lot more faster. I am happy with it. EGTs seam good? Thats 99° outside

Reactions: Vice_II
1 - 9 of 9 Posts