Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious why the 6.0 won't make the torque other diesels will. Specifically the cummins. I see lots of dyno results on here and it seems like at the 500 hp level most 6.0s are on the 700 ft lb range. That isn't much. I hit almost 1100 ft lbs of torque in my cummins and didn't even get to 500 hp.

Granted the cummins piston and stroke is bigger than the 6.0, is the HEUI the limiting factor why these can't make the torque? Is there a nozzle that will create a longer burn in the 6.0 and maybe make more torque? I could really care less about the hp, but I miss the frame twisting power I used to have. I like that 6.0 will spin a lot faster then my cummins would but it just doesnt have the grunt. I am not trying to start an argument I am just curious what exactly makes torque.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Don't inline engines generally make more torque anyway?

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Yes inline engines make more torque most of the time.

Ford used to have an inline 6 4.9 back in the 80s and 90s and it was a fare superior tow machine then the 5.0 V8

As for torque im getting well over 400 hp and 700 torque with stock injectors.

Maybe not to the rear wheels but with Straight pipe and 100 hp/200 torque tune even at factory numbers thats 430hp and 730 torque and with a straight pipe you get another 25hp and torque i think but not positive. I havnt dynoed my truck but its night and day when i run the stock tune vs the custom.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a hell of a difference in torque between a "v" design and an inline. 300 to 400 ft lbs.

I have a 258 inline in my jeep and it torques like a diesel, I was just hoping there was something more to it lol.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats not bad, with a just a tuner. Better than I thought it would do. I have innovative tunes on my 6.0 and really like them. I am hoping to do studs this winter when work gets slow and maybe upgrade the tranny and see how it feels after that.

I did those numbers with the cummins with just an intake/exhaust and tuner. I never got to dyno it after I really started throwing parts into it. But it was pretty wicked by the time I sold it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Just the way the 6.0 is, i too came from a Cummins with over 1100tq to the rear tires and man did my Ford seem like the most anemic thing ive ever been in. Im still stock too, gotta keep that warranty! But thats worn off so it doesnt bother me so much anymore..

Hell, my car has more torque to the ground than my 6.0 has at the flywheel...lol

Jason

·
Registered
609 Posts
The striaght motors generally always have higher torque than V motors of similar size. The Maverick in my signature originally came with a 200 straight 6- even after 30 years that thing was fairly torquey. The V motors usually make more horsepower though... but these 6.0s can make some crazy power fairly easily too, I'm learning. By the way- I really like the short bed dually. Those trucks look sweet!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The striaght motors generally always have higher torque than V motors of similar size. The Maverick in my signature originally came with a 200 straight 6- even after 30 years that thing was fairly torquey. The V motors usually make more horsepower though... but these 6.0s can make some crazy power fairly easily too, I'm learning. By the way- I really like the short bed dually. Those trucks look sweet!

Thanks, I bought it because it looked different, now I see them everywhere :doh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts