Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello there I've been searching for swap details to swap a 6.0 out of an 06 with 7.3 from an 02,but all I keep seein is people sayin just rebuild the 6 leaker. Basically I've got an 02 the the body has quite literally rotted off to the point of disrepair, truck has over 350k and keeps on goin strong, I have my eye on an 06 6.o with 300k and a blown motor, but body and chassis is in great shape, minus some minor stuff, anyone that has done or seen the swap, does the motor and trans drop in without having to weld in motor mount perches, or patch in firewall pieces,etc. etc. or is it just a matter of swappin everything over, thanks for any input

·
Registered
112 Posts
The bodies should be similar, nothing much changed between the 99-07 model years. I would be concerned that the motor mounts would not match up. But also consider the engine harnesses and power blocks running everything into the main fuse panels are completely different, depending on what trim level the 06 is you might have a wiring nightmare since the newer model truck could have a lot more goodies.

Also depending on your DMV they might frown upon putting on older engine in a newer truck that just based on the model year is held to higher emission standards. In NC diesels arent smogged yet, but I fear the day it comes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both trucks are bone stock w/ crank windows, and there are no good pieces left on the O2, plus the trucks are red and silver so I'd have to respray the truck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing I'm worried about is the motormounts, I'm planning on switching all the harnesses/ module from the 02, and updating to the new crap as I go along, ex. Trans coolers, look into the intercooler swap, etc. etc.

·
Premium Member
11,815 Posts
I'm sure it's doable, but with all the work (and i'm sure some money) involved in swapping, I'd consider rebuilding the 6.0. You could probably sell the 7.3 for parts to cover the costs. If you just don't want a 6.0, I'd try to find a pre '04 truck. :twocents:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the complete donor truck that I can put into a truck I can get for little munny, the 02 is ready for the scrap yard, the 06 has a blown motor, so spend thousands fixing either truck or combine into 1, I'd only be buying whatever seals I disturb or want to change while the motors out like oil pan, rear main. Ebb delete. Etc. plus if I can't get a sticker I can get a repair plate

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
One thing you have to take into account is emissions. With having the 7.3 in an 06 you would have to be emissions compliant with the 6.0. It's never going to happen. So the truck will never be able to be in a state with testing. But. If you swap cabs your still legally a 02. Then your good with emissions. After that pull the front and rear axles and swap them over and you will pretty much have an 06 with a 7.3. More work, yes. But after its done you will be able to pass emissions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1st of all if I switch the cab and body to an 06 than I have to switch the vin tags, which is a federal problem, 2nd I can get a repair plate= no inspection= no problems, I know it's not practical but I'm just making a decent pickup out of 2 junk ones, that are getting scrapped if it doesn't work, all I'm wonering is if the motor fits in the cradle and clears the firewall I can use the bay in the shop so long is it will bolt in without taking too much time modifying to fit/ if any, then on an switch everything else on the ground or outside

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I'm just curious, if you lick the cabling and motor mount problem, will the PCM need a special tune to run the 6.0 motor, and the same thing with the FICM?

Although to me a 7.3 IDM and a 6.0 FICM is the same thing, it probably needs a different algorithm to fire the injectors based off CKP and CMP.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm keeping all the electrical with the 7.3 idm and PCM so it will be completely 02 powertrain with 06 chassis, no body computer on eithe one

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Every state is different. Where I am, you could swap it out and nobody would know or care... yet. Best of both worlds... '06 coil suspension/chsssis and 7.3 power. Swapping the entire wiring harness will be easiest.

Let us know how it goes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,815 Posts
I have the complete donor truck that I can put into a truck I can get for little munny, the 02 is ready for the scrap yard, the 06 has a blown motor, so spend thousands fixing either truck or combine into 1, I'd only be buying whatever seals I disturb or want to change while the motors out like oil pan, rear main. Ebb delete. Etc. plus if I can't get a sticker I can get a repair plate
I totally understand what your trying to do and I understand why. Good luck with it. What I was getting at was the 7.3 has a lot of miles on it. I know they have a reputation for longevity and you'll probably get a lot more out of it, but I'd also hate to see you do all that work and have the engine fail only a few thousand miles later. Doing the work yourself saved you money but it also takes your time and my time is worth a little money. Just offering an opinion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, but the only thing that concerns me is getting the motor and trans in place, after that I can switch everything over a few hours at a time after work, I'm not attached to either truck anyways, I just need a pickup for work and pickin crap up, I already have the "fun" diesel, just need a truck that I don't care when it gets messed up

·
Registered
214 Posts
rebuilt engines are not all that expensive from what I read, or pickup a wrecked truck and pull the engine. The 7.3 is a good engine but a 6.0 is better if taken care of. My BIL swears by his and parked his old 7.3. Said all the 7.3 offered was a little better mileage! You could possibly part out the 7.3 and get a good engine if ya wanted. Really your choice but like others have siad you will suffer if you have not checked DMV about install of older engine in newer veh.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
you get 03 6.0 motor mounts and I can't see them being much different than a 7.3, aside from where they bolt to the block that is.

I wouldn't put that much effort into a 350k mile 7.3.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts