Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I've been driving my 2006 6.0 for about 3 years now and it's seen its fair share of problems, but this one is new to me.

I'm currently living in Midland, TX and making a lot of road trips. on my way back from the ranch my check engine light came on, so i drove to an O'reilly and borrowed a code checker. There were 16 injector codes reading low/high voltage on all 8 cylinders. I would've flipped out but the truck was running great and I decided to keep on going. The truck ran perfectly all the way back home. I called up the dealer to have a diagnostic run to check for FICM problems. Thankfully, the dealer was booked solid for 2 weeks and they directed me somewhere else. The gentleman at Danny's Auto was a huge help. He said that replacement alternators can often throw bad voltage to the FICM causing it to throw those 16 codes. The codes can also be thrown by bad batteries or corroded cables. I had recently replaced the alternator, so I cleaned up the cables on the batteries and poof, the light went off :woot:. I figured my problems were over, but the light came on again on another road trip and threw the same 16 codes, but ran like a top:dunno:. The truck has also been a little slow to start, maybe 6 seconds or so of cranking in the mornings, but it runs perfectly all day.

I believe the 3 potential culprits are the batteries, the refurbed alternator, or the FICM. The batteries are 1 year old motorcraft, so I would hope they are good. I think the alternator may be causing the issues and I pray it isn't the FICM.

Has anybody dealt with this situation before? Any help would be appreciated.

My apologies for the novel,

-WTB

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Hard to help you, if you dont have a monitor, it allows you to check ficm while running down the road. Google ficm check procedure to get started, you can check it with a volt meter. But yes, batteries and alternator can cause headaches with these trucks.

Sent from my SCH-I500

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a short update on the problem.

I looked up the FICM check procedure, but I have not been able to start it yet. The truck started great this morning, but as soon as I put it in gear it began to run rough and miss. I waited for it to warm up and then set off. It ran great after it reached operating temp.

From what I have found, one of the 4 circuits in the FICM may be bad. Could the batteries, alternator, or a problem with the glow plugs cause the same results?

Thanks,

-WTB

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Here is a short update on the problem.

I looked up the FICM check procedure, but I have not been able to start it yet. The truck started great this morning, but as soon as I put it in gear it began to run rough and miss. I waited for it to warm up and then set off. It ran great after it reached operating temp.

From what I have found, one of the 4 circuits in the FICM may be bad. Could the batteries, alternator, or a problem with the glow plugs cause the same results?

Thanks,

-WTB
When your ficm is shot, new batteries/alernator will not fix it. Bad batteries/alternator will destroy ficms. Glow plug problems are only a cool weather issue.

Sent from my SCH-I500

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. Ran rough when cold but fine when warm. My FICM was going. Sent it to Ed at FICMrepair.com and now it runs great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

It started up great this afternoon, but immediately started running real rough until it warmed up, just like this morning. I got out of the truck to listen and saw the exhaust smoking like a train. I borrowed a scanner and wrote down the codes, 8 different ones this time. I'm about to check them out and then do the FICM check. I will let y'all know what I find.

Thanks for the help guys,

-WTB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I completed the FICM check and it is working perfectly.

One of the injectors isn't sounding right. It sounds like a very muffled and strained clicking/buzzing instead of the normal click-click-click you hear on start up. The eight codes it is throwing correspond to an open injector circuit and/or a defective coil.

It looks like I'll be replacing an injector.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I completed the FICM check and it is working perfectly.

One of the injectors isn't sounding right. It sounds like a very muffled and strained clicking/buzzing instead of the normal click-click-click you hear on start up. The eight codes it is throwing correspond to an open injector circuit and/or a defective coil.

It looks like I'll be replacing an injector.
You can ohm test pins 1-2, 3-4. Should ohm out at .4-.6 at ambient IIRC.

Sent from my SCH-I500

1 - 10 of 10 Posts