Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, my truck has a intermittent surge in the idle. Idle jumps up 50-100 rpm. Sometimes at a stoplight in gear and truck wants to lunge forward. All systems check out except the FICM. (44-46v) on cold start up. Goes up to 48v occasionally. Brand new (reman) injectors. Brand new icp sensor and pigtail. Truck is running 100% better than a week ago prior to injectors. Idle is extremely smooth and plenty of low end and high end power. Engine is running amazing! Just this stupid idle surge. :dunno: I have the 58v FICM coming from swamps. Should be here monday. Do yall think the FICM might help with this surge? My only other thought at this point is IPR. ICP and IPR duty cycle both check out. I'm hopeing the FICM will solve this and I'll be done spending money for a while. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, engine is still surging intermittently. This morning it did it for the first time in a week. Seems to be getting more frequent. I know everyone says if your HPOP goes, it just goes with no sign. I am stumped. HPOP is my only other thought. I watch the ICP and it flucuates as the idle surges. The other issue that I've had since I've owned this truck, is it starts differently ever time I start it. Sometimes it fires up quick, sometimes it rolls into a run. Hard to explain. Not a long crank but it starts and kind of stumbles up to idle. Now when I load my xtreme race tune it does not do this. It fires up very quickly in a snap. I do notice that the ICP is quite different when I run this tune. Recently I have installed 8 injectors, new harness, FICM, ICP sensor and pigtail and IPR valve. I know the 03 HPOP is known for failure more than others. Does it act differently when its about to fail? I would like to order the billet adrenaline stock output HPOP from dieselsite if this is the issue. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 04 does the same thing and now has intermittent idle drop when clutch engaged and has died a couple of times.... any help out there?

·
Registered
106 Posts
My 03 has the same idle symptoms when warm.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine hasnt done it in over a week. I'm just not going to give it anymore thought until it causes real issues. Other than this, mine is running perfect. I'm certain that its high pressure oil related. My next reliability upgrade will be the adrenaline stock output HPOP. Just don't have $1,000 to spend right now. Maybe this winter sometime.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have an 03 and it does the exact same thing. I was thinking it might be the fuel pump spring but I'm not sure. I am going to throw one at it and see if it helps

·
Registered
60 Posts
my vote is for the ICP! my truck did the same thing. big pain the change. went at it from the bottom and had to remove the heat sheild on the back of the engine. Oil from the turbo drain tube soaked it!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt thats the cause. Though its a good Idea to do anyway. You should check your fuel pressure before and after and see what the difference is. I have the updated (blue) spring installed and my fuel pressure reads 64psi at idle. Never drops below 60psi even at WOT.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, should have quoted bigbadry on that reply. Flipp29, I think you are right in thinking its high pressure oil related. ICP often is the culprit on this one.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But our 03's have the early HPOP design. So thats always a possibility also. Especially after you've replaced everything and it still does it. Knock on wood, going on two weeks here since its last done it and running perfect.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I replaced my icp sensor a couple months ago

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've noticed mine only does it when the ac is on. Any input on why?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've noticed mine only does it when the ac is on. Any input on why?
Could it be the a/c compressor kicking on and off? I used to have a rolling/lopey idle with the a/c on and no low end power. Turned out to be injectors.

·
a known holder of grudges
2,055 Posts
I think this is injector related, possibly a single weak injector, not totally failed, but boarder line faulty. My guess at least.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We hooked my truck up to the scanner at work last night and there is a trouble shooting guide in it. It said that it could need an up dated flash from the dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
my 04 does this when warm I was told to replace the stand pipe and dummy plugs under the valve cover because the o rings on them go bad which will cause a high presure oil leak have them on order now already did the icp sensor

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 03 also and is doing the same thing. I feel like I have to keep both feet on the brake when I am at a light. So far I have replaced FICM, PCM, HPOP, Turbo, engine wiring harness, oil cooler, fan clutch, 3 injectors, alternator, batteries, IPR, ICP and harness, Head gaskets, studs, 8 new pistons, all new bearings, and fuel pedal. So far nothing has changed. Still surges at idle and ocasionally stalls when making slow menuevers in parking lots. I hope we can all come to some sort of conclusion for this problem soon. Almost forgot, I also replaced EGR valve and installed new EGR cooler.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also have an 03. I know ICP's have already been r2'd, when this happened to me it was my ICP. Good luck and I'm really curious what the fix is going to be.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We hooked my truck up to the scanner at work last night and there is a trouble shooting guide in it. It said that it could need an up dated flash from the dealer.
I think there is a service bulletin that mentions a reflash thats supposed to help with this. When mine was in for injectors they reflashed it. My stradegy changed from vxap1 to vxap2. Still running tunes written for vxap1 :dunno: guess it doesnt matter. Anyway, Been idling smooth for almost three weeks now. One possible contributing factor is that I've been running regular rotella t 15w40. Ever since I changed from the valvoline 15w40 its been running better. Maybe my truck hates valvoline? Next oil change, I'm going back to rotella 5w40 syn for the winter and see what happens.

·
Registered
20 Posts
so has anybody fixed the issue? my 04 is lunging at lights as well. i have ruled out high pressure oil system on mine, the thing that keeps coming back on me is ficm or injector harness. anyone have any luck? The other thing being that mine seems worse when its hot out after driving, and seems worse with lower rpms even though it will act up while driving as well

1 - 20 of 41 Posts