Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
Was in the drive thru today and my truck decided to start acting up. 6.0 idle goes up to 1100-1200 or so and stutters/misses badly. Tach needle bounces a little bit as well. Goes away when stepping on the gas pedal enough to rev engine. Comes back about fifteen seconds later. Runs perfectly fine with ICP sensor unplugged. (I actually put her in park, hopped out unplugged the icp and she ran amazing the whole way home with zero hiccups) Truck will also randomly surge forward when driving at slow speeds. Almost seems as if I floored the pedal for a millisecond and then let off. Just replaced both fuel filters. Blue spring mod, egr delete, new oil cooler, and new icp sensor. New FICM as well, along with a new alternator. Truck has 122k miles on it. I bought with 120k on it. Running Rotella 15w40 T6. 2005 MY.

I don’t have any way to diagnose it aside from a basic scan tool my buddy has. Throws no codes aside from the CEL from the unplugged ICP.
Kind of stuck I don’t think it’s an injector going out as it runs fine with the icp unplugged. Did it with both the old and new icp sensor.

would appreciate any ideas of what to look for before I pay the dealer to diagnose. Maybe it’s something simple I can do myself before I have to send her in.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
So, just to confirm, you replaced the ICP sensor after this problem started and you used an OEM sensor, correct?

-jokester

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
What does your ICPv read KOEO? What about ICPv, ICP, ICP desired, IPR%, FICM sync, CAM/Crank sync when the truck is acting up?

-jokester

Reactions: Hydro

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
If you're gonna have a 6.0, you're gonna need something to pull codes, read PID's, and monitor with.

@Hydro take it away with your spiel... :D

Gonna own a diesel, you need to be able to get codes and monitor the system when there is a problem

These should be mandatory for any 6.0 and 7.3 (info for 7.3 is missing)
Fuel pressure gauge -- (M12x1.5 thread adapter - 6.0) -- ??(7.3)
Base oil pressure gauge -- (test port on front of oil cooler housing 9/16x18 imperial o-ring fitting - 6.0) -- ??(7.3)

I suggest downloading ForScan and using the OBDLink MX+ or the BAFX adapter for troubleshooting
Torque Pro would be good for everyday use with an old phone or tablet -- can be mounted on the dash
Scan Gauge is small and simple -- can be mounted in front of the instrument cluster
there are other monitor solutions, but the price goes higher

ForScan is a simple download for PC, you can get it in just a few minutes -- the "lite" version is available on the app stores for your device.
There is a "demo" in the app options, so you can use the app without being connected, to get familiar with the screens
The BAFX adapter is the least expensive and a reliable adapter -- the MX+ is smaller, faster and more features

The PC version is the most powerful and does the "click test" and other tests
you do not need the license for troubleshooting

-jokester

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I'm not saying you CAN'T get the CTS3 and use it for every day monitoring, but Forscan and an OBDII dongle will cost a HECK of a lot less and Forscan is a better code reader and program than just the insight. Not to mention, a LOT of guys on here and other forums are having issues with their CTS3 on a 6.0.

@ZMANN started a thread about it a few months back. I suggest you check it out before you get one...

-jokester

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
I suppose it depends on your expectations in a "scanner"
The Livewire and CTS3 work pretty good for everyday use -- but are expensive
We tend to trade convenience for usefulness a lot at times

Torque Pro is a good everyday monitor, but has some user "effort" to start it up every day
ForScan is hands down the best diagnostic tool for these trucks (for the cost) -- and about the same for an everyday as Torque
connect with bluetooth to an old phone or tablet and you have a monitor for way less than the aforementioned tools
there are ways to automate the connect steps when you start the truck, so less of an operator hassle
...and I have seen some interesting setups where guys have mounted a tablet in the truck for the monitor screen

For serious diagnostic, I would suggest the PC version of ForScan and the OBDLink MX+ paired with a windows laptop
this setup allows you to run the "buzz" test along with other tests on the truck systems
The expanded graphing screen on a laptop is very handy for finding intermittent readings on a sensor or looking for trends in the readings

Anyways, ...do a search, I am sure you can fine plenty of times I have posted about ForScan on these forums

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
886 Posts
x2 on Forscan… connected the 04 morning just to do a checkup. Saw a p1378. Logic and supply power checked out fine. Load tested batteries and wouldn’t you know it, the voltage was good but CCA was way down. Little things like that make Forscan almost priceless. Had I not had it, I would have spent time removing the FICM and having it rebuilt for no reason. Just an example to ponder.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Need to see the numbers that @jokester00 asked for
I would lay money on a bad IPR valve, with junk in it from the oil cooler job
...but need the numbers first -- don't go throwing parts at the problem

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Need to see the numbers that @jokester00 asked for
I would lay money on a bad IPR valve, with junk in it from the oil cooler job
...but need the numbers first -- don't go throwing parts at the problem
Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t mean to come off as an *** saying this, I could be wrong but I have a hard time thinking it’s the IPR valve. The truck runs absolutely perfect with the ICP unplugged, so I’m thinking it might be related to that somewhere??
Have yet to get the numbers but had it in the shop in the meantime and they said everything looked perfect (bit of a long shot, I know but better than nothing at this point). They were not able to get it to act up. Maybe it’s the ICP harness?

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
886 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t mean to come off as an *** saying this, I could be wrong but I have a hard time thinking it’s the IPR valve. The truck runs absolutely perfect with the ICP unplugged, so I’m thinking it might be related to that somewhere??
Have yet to get the numbers but had it in the shop in the meantime and they said everything looked perfect (bit of a long shot, I know but better than nothing at this point). They were not able to get it to act up. Maybe it’s the ICP harness?
Let the parts-throwing begin… don’t do it man just get the numbers! 😉

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Had two other posters on here lately that have similar symptoms, and it was the IPR valve partially sticking that was causing the problem

When you get ForScan running, use the graph screen and monitor the IPR vs ICP pressure and voltage -- they should track perfectly , with a slight delay

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
Many have been down this same path before you. Erratic operation as you have described is almost always an IPR issue. The problem is further complicated by the IPR being commanded versus its actual position.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had two other posters on here lately that have similar symptoms, and it was the IPR valve partially sticking that was causing the problem

When you get ForScan running, use the graph screen and monitor the IPR vs ICP pressure and voltage -- they should track perfectly , with a slight delay
That makes sense
Many have been down this same path before you. Erratic operation as you have described is almost always an IPR issue. The problem is further complicated by the IPR being commanded versus its actual
that makes sense. My obd reader will be here tomorrow so I should be able to hopefully post some numbers by this weekend. Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Product Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot

I got some numbers here at idle. Have not been able to get the truck to act up recently. I think this all looks pretty good to me. Truck was driven all morning mixed city and highway driving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts