Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made a post about about this before, but never had the video until now. When cold starting regardless if it’s hot or cold outside my 2005 6.0 stumbles when starting as well as takes a little longer to crank. Batteries were just replaced, ficm says 49-48.5. Truck runs great and starts time when warmed up. Bran new oil and low pressure oil pump. If anybody has an idea I would appreciate the help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't think you have a problem unless cranking is typically longer than in the video. Are you able to pull any trouble codes?
No codes or anything! I have a slightly longer crank time before, but it always changes.. it’s just weird that sometimes it almost struggles and stumbles to start like it did in the video

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Why was the LPOP changed?

My buddy was having similar starts to yours...kind of a rolling start instead of firing hard like it should. He had a couple bad injectors that wad making his do that. Maybe get a cold start contribution test done with Ford IDS software would be my suggestion.

-jokester

Reactions: 6LiterTeter

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why was the LPOP changed?

My buddy was having similar starts to yours...kind of a rolling start instead of firing hard like it should. He had a couple bad injectors that wad making his do that. Maybe get a cold start contribution test done with Ford IDS software would be my suggestion.

-jokester
I was thinking injectors as well

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
886 Posts
Try some Archoil or Rev-X. Fuel additives are almost a must in a 6.0 these days. Those injectors need fuel lubricity and conditioned fuel to perform correctly.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
11,067 Posts
I haven't tried the Archoil fuel additive, but I have tried their stiction oil additive. I think it is helpful in some cases of stiction. Quite a few people seem to like Rev-X also, but I haven't tried it.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
that is a normal crank time with the 6.0 starter
and most on here recommend fuel additive at every fill up if you have never done that before
opti lube, archoil, hot shots, and the list goes on

·
Diesel Mechanic Poser
'05 X
146 Posts
Try some Archoil or Rev-X. Fuel additives are almost a must in a 6.0 these days. Those injectors need fuel lubricity and conditioned fuel to perform correctly.
I haven't tried the Archoil fuel additive, but I have tried their stiction oil additive. I think it is helpful in some cases of stiction. Quite a few people seem to like Rev-X also, but I haven't tried it.
Kyle, an additive might be worth considering. I have run a gallon of the Archoil 9100 through my engine over the last series of oil changes. I still would get a little roughness or stiction when it was cold weather. It always seemed to clear up before I made it out of the neighborhood. Without, the fluid temps would have to come up to smooth out the engine, and that takes a while. It definitely cleared up my stiction in the summer when it reared its ugly head - which is how I got started with this in the first place. Im now experimenting with Rev-X. I only have 1 data point during warm weather - I dont have enough information to make a direct comparison. And winter is coming. I also run the OptiLube Summer Plus fuel additive (year round). I still have stock injectors, 2005 Xcar with 103k.
Oh, and the Hot Shot Secret stiction fuel treatment did not help me after 3 tanks (it may have helped other people, though). Part of the fun is trying to find what YOUR truck likes - they each have their own personality. You'll get it figured out soon.

·
Registered
110 Posts
When I start my truck on consecutive days, it fires up in about one second. It does sometimes run rough for a few seconds if I haven't driven it for a week. I may need new batteries but not sure. I use Hotshot stiction eliminator on every oil change. Rotella 15-40 T-6 @ 5K miles. I recently change injector #1 after a contribution trouble code and #5 glow plug trouble code found with my FORScan Lite app using a Bluetooth USB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts