Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 f350 6.0 fx4 still wont start.Never had any problem till i backed up the other morning and it just cut off with no hesitation or nothing.I have no codes on the odb2.When i hit it with a quick shot of ether or gas on a rag it fires then dies.When it rns for a secon its not full power and the throttle doesnt seem to do anything a i pump the pedel.It puffs a blues color smoke and has never smoked at all.Any ideas.Ive done been threw all the wires,new batteries,etc.Its wierd how this great running truck would just die and not fire the fuel but only on ether and gas and when it does run if i turn the key to the off position it seems like its gonna try to run so i turn the key back to the on postion and it continuse to try to run till the vapors are gone.I dont hear any sound like a injector when i turn the key to the on position.any ideas???

·
Registered
968 Posts
Use the no start check list in my sig. Will it start if you disconnect the ICP sensor? HOw did you scan for codes? Do you have any way to get ICP and IPR data?

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
On an 04 truck it should be located on the passenger side valve cover. It's a 3 wire sensor that pokes out thru the valve cover.

That shouldn't keep your injectors from working though. When you first turn the key on, do you hear a chattering/buzzing sound? You should. If you arn't then sounds like the FICM is not powering up. Might be weak and crappy sounding, but you should hear some sort of noise when you first turn the key on.

If you are hearing this then you have something else going on, most likely a high pressure oil leak. You will really need at least a code reader, or better yet a scanner that will show you data, to diagnose this further.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah im not getting a buzz or a chatter from the injectors when i turn the key to the on position.Any thoughts on what would keep them from buzzing???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 05 and it just shut down on us while on a trip this summer and also would not start turned out it blew the o rings on the internal high pressure oil injector line had to have it fixed at Ford dealer upgraded kit $58 but over &700 in labor.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I would start with checking all fuses and relays. I've never really had to much issue with this but sounds like the PCM or the FICM is not powering up. The PCM powers up first, which then grounds out the FICM relay. Check the FICM relay out. It's located in the power distribution box under the hood, near the master cylinder. It's one of the gray relays in there. Should have 4 terminals, 2 smaller ones and 2 large ones. I have seen them burn up before, but it's rather rare.

The issue dblr is talking about is most likely either the STC fitting or the standpipes. Your truck uses a different HPOP which doesn't have the STC fitting that blows, but does have standpipes that could be an issue.

Either way, if you are not hearing the injector buzz you need to figure that out first and why it's not powering up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info!I already changed the ficm relay so i know its ok.So i guess i''ll try test the ficm.Most cases ive heard is that it would still run with a bad ficm..Whatever makes those injectors buzz is my problem.Im gonna work on it tomorrow any things i should look for other than testing the ficm???

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Normally they will run, but I've had some not run and it's from the FICM. Normally though you will still hear the injector buzz when you key on, it's just really weak and sporadic. And they will chug and white smoke like they're trying to start. I'm thinking you have something going on that's not even trying to fire up the FICM. Do the voltage checks though and see what you come up with. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Redf-350, could be either. I'd start with unplugging the ICP sensor and seeing if it will start then. Is it the 03 or 04 engine? 03 engine the ICP sensor is under the turbo, 04 is on the passenger side vavle cover. Have you checked the ICP sensor connection?

Honestly you should probably start your own thread on this issue though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the driver side door it says 9/03..any info on where that sensor is????I replaced the ficm relay under the hood.what are the other relays and fuses nder the hood nder the master cylinder??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is the box located on the passenger side valve cover.I has 2 connectors i believe that they are 3 wire connectors...I didnt see a sensor on the passenger valve cover,just that box..

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Sounds like you have an 03 model year engine then. The box/module on that vavle cover is the glow plug control module. The ICP sensor on an 04 on up engine will have the sensor right next to this box. It actually sits up thru the valve cover. If you don't see it there then you have the crappy design where the ICP sensor is under the turbo, mounted in the HPOP cover.

Strokemy6.0, don't worry about the ICP sensor for now. Even if it was goofed up the injectors would still chatter on key on. You need to figure that part out.

Check all the fuses in the PDC(power distribution center) under the hood, and the ones inside the cab. Check you owners manual and look for all fuses and relays that have anything to do with the PCM and FICM. If you don't have an owners manual, check all fuses. I like to turn the key on, then take a test light and go thru all the fuses, checking both sides of the fuses for voltage. If you find one that only has voltage on one side, the fuse is blown. Not all the fuses you check are going to be powered up with the key on, but the main ones for the PCM/FICM should be. Check that out and see what you come up with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts