Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have 2004 ford 6.0 with 130k.It has run great since ive had it and now I have a problem..No Start....Couple days ago I woke up started my truck,(first time that day)I backed up and pulled foward leaving the house and it just died.Run excellent when parked the night b4 and always.It has never skipped or misfired while running and never smokes.It has diesel in the tank.I have no codes...I checked the fuel filters and they are fine.When I pulled the filter under the hood it was filling up so the pump is working.I have checked the wires and connectors all over and they are fine.It is full of oil and coolant is full aswell.When turning the engine over the oil gauge shows pressure like normal.No rpm while turning the key.Im not sure if the tach is suppose to show rpm while turning over.At this point im clueless.Im not a diesel mechanic but ive turned wrenchs under many of hoods so I dont mine working and learning something new.I just dont understand how it has ran perfect and then I back up pull foward and the engine died like someone cut a light switch on then right off.I know your not supposed to use ether or gas but I did,trying a quick trouble shoot and it will fire then cut right off.Like I said I scanned the odb2 and got no codes or dash lights.I also put 2 new 850 cca batteries in it.Anyone with any info would be great.I have read hours of forums and everyone talks on the ficm and the hpop but im not so sure it could be those because it has always run great.No skipping or smoking.Why would it fire on the ether run a second then cut off,but not start on the diesel.I drained some of the fuel and the diesel is yellow.Is that normal.It may still have some dieselklean mixed in but i wouldnt think that would chank the color..It may be just bad diesel from the pump and wont fire it.It seems like it could be simple.but who knows with the 6.0...If someone puts me on my problem and it fixes it I will send $.Thanks Kyle

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Could be HPOP. They often go without warning especially with 130k. Thats my guess. I'll be awaiting payment :hehe: Hope this helps. Keep me posted.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Try the 6.0 "no-start checklist" and you will find the problem.
CLICK HERE to go to the checklist.
If/when you find your issue, and if this forum has helped, I would suggest a donation to the link in my signature line.

It could be a High Pressure Oil Pump... might be just the ICP sensor.
Try unplugging the sensor and see if it will start.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I know everyone says not to use starting fluid.... but if your careful about it and have someone cycle the key and crank it while you use a very short burst of starting fluid, it may start. If it does it will run untill you turn the key off. This will confirm HPOP. This only works on the 03's and early 04's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info fellas!...I did have someone turn the key while I gave it a quick shot of ether and a rag with alittle gas.It did fire and run for a second then would cut off.Gas on a rag did alittle better,but when it was running it sounded like it didnt have the normal diesel sound.a bit of a darker sound but it sound normal for a split second or two b4 cutting off.I did notice the exhaust fumes wasnt the same.Even before I used ether.It doesnt smell like water fumes from a blown head gasket.It was a more like fuel fumes but not right.If this info helps narrow the sollution please let me know.I'll be up all night researching planin gon my next step bfore i take it to the shop....Thanks

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
When you cycle the key prior to cranking, do you hear the normal injector buzz?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im about to go listen to them right now.I should be able to hear them when i turn the key or do i need a programmer/scanner?On my 04 6.0 when turning the key should the rpms arm lift up.It never moves while trying to start.Only when it starts on ether or gas..It wont run on its own since it cut off.ome people say the rpm arm should lift when cranking if not the cam or crank sensor is bad..any thoughts????

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just when out and tryed to listen.all I can hear is the fuel pump.There is no sign of any buzz under the hood.also i hear a quick blow sound after i turn the key to the on position.should my diesel color be yellow???

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Diesel fuel is different colors in different places. Its more blue around here, go down south and its kinda yellow. This might be becouse they use more bio... don't know. Does it smell like diesel fuel? You should hear the injectors buzz when the wait to start light is on. If not, it could be FICM. You really need to get it looked at by someone with diagnostic equipment. You could get yourself a scangaugeII and it will tell you what kind of FICM voltage your seeing. Also, it makes a good gauge to keep an eye on other things.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info capcalvin.Im down here in north carolina so the color could be different.You know since ive had this truck ive never thought about looking at the color of diesel.It does look like a gas color.Idk just a thought becaue ive heard the fuel should be a greenish or blue.And if it fires on the ether maybe I just got bad diesel in result of a quick fix.I went to autozone and rented a odbII scanner and it showed no codes.But as far as the buzz sound it has no buzz under the hood at any time.seem like it did right before it cut off and wont start back..I greatly appreciate all the info that im receiving!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks 350,Ive been reading about the ficm and the volts it requires to be working properly.Would the ficm keep from the injectors from buzzing when i turn the key to the on position,even without a scanner?From what im gathering now is that when i first turn the key to the on position everytime I should hear a buzzing sound under the hood coming from the injectors..???If so and they are not buzzing,the ficm is bad..?Any thoughts on the rpm gauge not lifting while starting.It is a 2004 f350 fx4 srw.Only mod is a silverline exhaust.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Yes, you should hear the injectors cycling at key-on. The typical FICM failure can be detected by the voltage test. That isn't to say that all FICM failures can be detected in that fashion, but most can be.
I don't ever recall seeing the RPM's registering on the tach when I had a no-start. Whether or not they are supposed to, I don't know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info!Im gonna try to test the Ficm when this rain lets up...So at this point since my 6.0 has run great till i started to leave for work and it died after i backed and pulled foward,im assuming i have a bad ficm..There is no code on a odbII scanner,no troubles b4 this.Now when i turn the key all i hear is the fuel pump.No sound from the injectors that i can hear.When i turn the key to just turns over and never starts.There is a foul odor that i can smell after trying to start.Deffently not the smell of a blown head gasket.No coolant or oil leaks visible.If the injectors never makes a sound would that be from the bad ficm or should I look other places.Since firing on the ether and cutting right off..its fuel related.Any thoughts.....Thanks for all the help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts