Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Yes they are plugged in correctly. Let me ask you would it smoke and knock because of under fueling?? If a give it just a small either shot it clears right up and idles fine ?
I am a little confused by this thread -- you have the exhaust manifolds off? and it runs fine with a little shot of ether?
what exactly is the main problem here?
Wont start or wont run?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,000 Posts
Did you do what I suggested in post #20?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a similar problem, turned out my turbo had frozen solid. Pull the intake elbow off and make sure the impeller in the turbo spins freely, if it's stuck solid time for a new turbo, and figuring out why it crapped the bed. In my case the feed line was caked with a bunch of crap restricting oil flow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I’m new to Powerstrokes always had a Cummins I have a 2006 ford 6.0 just had the motor out redid the heads new warren injectors all new gaskets headstuds up pipes and some other things I can’t think of. Now for the bad I cannot get it to run right for the life of me tried all kinds of things it smokes like crazy and knocks on idles barely will stay running won’t clear out no codes or anything all pressures look good voltages etc.??? Anyone have some guesses
Sounds like you have some kind of a timing issue and or injector related.

·
Registered
21 Posts
you said new injectors, are they stock or did you go bigger? If bigger have you done a tune? Have you checked the FICM voltage with a volt meter not just watched it through a scan gauge? When you say smoke coming out of the cylinders with the valve covers off please clarify, are you seeing smoke come around the injectors?? If you have smoke coming out of the injector bores something is very off, there should be nothing blowing back through the injector bore, who did your heads and what did they do to them? If the o-rings on the injectors are not pinched, or torn, and you have smoke coming out of the injector bore someone screwed your heads up, there should be no blow back around the injectors. Last if not smoking around injectors what kind of HPOP reading are you getting for oil pressure to the rails? If you try to press the throttle what reading does it show.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok so I have smoke coming out of the exhaust ports with the manifolds off. I havnt checked voltage with a multimeter I need to recheck all the pressures and what not because I didn’t write them down last time I had the scanner on it. The injectors are stock also

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
So 2,5, and 8 are firing, but not the others

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I can’t start it up it will idle fine for about 30sec then just start chugging down and blowing smoke out the exhaust very badly

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The desired and actual pressures match up ipr is at 30% on idle idk what else to do ficm reads 48 running and with key on

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
I can’t start it up it will idle fine for about 30sec then just start chugging down and blowing smoke out the exhaust very badly
That sounds like air getting into the fuel rails
have you done a bubble test? to see if compression is getting into the fuel?

Have you tried a different FICM? even if the voltage output is correct, the logic side may be bad

Just bouncing some ideas here, something may make the ah-ha light come on:

Since you have the manifolds off, do you think the smoke is bad enough that the intake air is getting too polluted to burn good?
in a confined space, too much smoke-already burned air, would make the engine smoke more = roundy round till it smothered out
the engine will run fine without any manifolds, but the already burned air will cause problems
case in point: when commanding the EGR open, I can all but kill the engine - that is not a lot of exhaust heading back to the intake

Could set the intake back on and rig up a "clean air" source - eg, shop vac hose
to get some fresh air into the engine

Have you checked the compression? 380-420 psi

Side note:
One of the mechanics at my job worked on a D358 for waay too long, trying to get a high speed miss out of it - even had the Techs at the factory on the job
Engine only missed under a load -- so on the dyno it went -- for days and days
Was a fresh "overhaul", but not by our shop, so everything was suspect -- missed, backfired, smoked
They went deep in the rabbit hole on replacing parts and testing, fuel rate, cylinder temps, compression, rebuilt injection pump, camshaft, cam timing

Long story short: turned out to be the injection pump - the rebuild didnt address the problem
but a donor pump ran fine - so installed a new pump and out the door

I seen the engine run without the timing cover or manifolds - would fill the shop with smoke in a minute or two

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I put the manifolds and everything back on for this test and yes I’ve tried 2 ficms could the injector harness be bad with no cell or anything. Compression is there I checked it. I have unplugged all passenger injectors and it does the exact same thing also unplugged the drivers Side and it also does the same thing which is weird

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Yes, quite the interesting problem
have you modified the fuel system other than the injectors?
pressure and flow is good?
you mentioned earlier that the engine would start and run decent for 30 seconds?
has the engine ran long enough to push the air out of the oil rails? -- there is a small vent plug that will help with this
have you done a fuel rail leak down test? -- checks to see if the injectors or o-rings are leaking
have you done a bubble test on the fuel rails? -- checks to see if compression is getting into the fuel rails

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yes I’ve done bubble test it passed and put balloons on fuel lines. I’ve installed the blue spring kit and I’ve got like 70 psi fuel pressure I put a fuel gauge on top of my filter cap it is threaded for a port I have ran it about 20 times I wouldn’t think it would still have air in it

21 - 40 of 42 Posts