Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I’m new to Powerstrokes always had a Cummins I have a 2006 ford 6.0 just had the motor out redid the heads new warren injectors all new gaskets headstuds up pipes and some other things I can’t think of. Now for the bad I cannot get it to run right for the life of me tried all kinds of things it smokes like crazy and knocks on idles barely will stay running won’t clear out no codes or anything all pressures look good voltages etc.??? Anyone have some guesses

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,000 Posts
1. What are you using to read codes
2. Sounds like a bad injector (or two) to me.

Also, make sure the vgt solenoid connector is firmly in place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used one of the ford tools and a snap on one also. I thought bad injector you but warren rebuilt them and I sent them back after this problem and it still did it when I got them back

·
6,000 Posts
Warren has had bad injectors out of the box. Do some searches - or I can post a half dozen links if you need me to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would say check and make sure there is no o ring pieces under injectors it sounds like a injector problem either the injector is bad or its not seated all the way what are the codes your getting

·
6,000 Posts
Did you see my comment about checking the VGT solenoid connector?

Also did you see the question on reading codes?

Sounds like they were rebuilt once and checked once. Could happen, but unlikely I guess. I suppose it could be incorrect installation on all of them also - torque wrench calibrated? New copper gaskets installed and all old ones removed? Hold-down bolt holes cleaned properly?

How are you verifying the raw fuel is from every cylinder?

The most common reasons for raw fuel in the exhaust are dumping excess fuel in a cylinder(s), or insufficient air. You could also have issues with the valve train, compression, or timing I suppose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No codes as of now had a crank sensor but I think it was from the long cranks. I have had the injectors out twice both times new washers and o rings no Change also sent them back to them to check them

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i pulled the manifolds off today and they smoke is coming from every hole while cranking I had the head gone through and they put new valves in and decked and checked them I don’t see the raw fuel just smoking very badly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No codes as of now had a crank sensor but I think it was from the long cranks. I have had the injectors out twice both times new washers and o rings no Change also sent them back to them to check them
When you took the injectors out did you double check to make sure o rings didn't break pieces off i had that problem with a junk injector I put it in and same problem then I took it out and didn't see the side of o ring scrapped off I got the pieces out re installed new ford injector and no problems

·
6,000 Posts
Some scan tools are terrible at reading codes. PLEASE post what you are using.

AGAIN - have you verified turbo operation (ie VGT solenoid connector at a minimum).

Even a bad EGR valve can cause white smoke - do you still have a functional EGR system?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I said I used the ford scan tool and a snap on one yes the vgt solenoid is plugged in. No the egr is deleted. Also I did a balloon test and no air is getting into the fuel system

·
6,000 Posts
Checked fuel quality?
Verified the air filter "filter minder"?

Since you have the Ford scan tool, have you commanded the VGT solenoid and verified its operation?
Done an uncompensated contribution test?
Relative compression test?
Verified proper MAF (Mass Air Flow)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have drained the tank and put new fuel in air filter is brand new I have not checked to make sure the vgt is working properly but it still over fuels with no up pipes on and intercooler pipes off so I can’t see it being choked for air had a compression test done and all were 375 to 425

·
6,000 Posts
You've done a lot of work. I hate to even ask this, but are you sure that all injector plugs on the correct injector?

Assuming they are, and with all that seems to "check out" ok, I have to lean towards the turbo operation. If injectors are working properly, then I don't see how it is going to overfuel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes they are plugged in correctly. Let me ask you would it smoke and knock because of under fueling?? If a give it just a small either shot it clears right up and idles fine ?

·
6,000 Posts
You know, it probably would. The mix has to be correct for the efficient compression ignition.

I hate using ether though. The 6.0L isn't as solid as the Cummins. As an alternative, you can rig up a pressure gauge and check fuel pressure from the test port that is on the side of the secondary fuel filter. You will need an adapter though.

I assume both fuel filters are new and OEM? My apologies if you answered that earlier and I missed it.

·
6,000 Posts
Remove the secondary fuel filter and empty the filter bowl. Have someone turn the key while you watch the bowl fill with fuel. It should fill in seconds. Post up how long to fill. Watch for bubbles in the fuel as you fill it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts