Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is similar to others so hopefully a new thread is ok.
I'm looking at buying an 05 with the 6.0. It is selling cheap due to it having issues. It smokes on startup but quits when it is warm. The guy tells me he has deleted the egr. Here is the strange part to me. He says he pinpointed it to one cylinder by unplugging injectors, when he unplugged one injector in particular it quit smoking on startup. He replaced that injector but no help. He then swapped it with another cylinder thinking he got a bad one, but no change. I'm a little confused as to what this may be. He says he thinks it is a bad head gasket. I know this truck has not had the head studs replaced. Any thoughts? Should I walk away? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
If it ain't your problem, walk...

Now if you have a bunch of cash lying around, and he's selling this thing dirt-cheep, you may consider taking the gamble. I would keep looking to find one that hasn't got the issues.

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Concur with everything above. If it's head gasket, it might be heads. Or maybe a bad valve? The only thing you know for sure is that changing out injectors hasn't stopped the issue. I would perhaps low-ball the guy and see if he bites knowing there might be something severely wrong. How are the fluid levels? Is it burning coolant or oil. This would be the question I'd be asking the guy. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have more info. It is a salvage title due to theft in its history (which I knew up front). He is a dealer and bought it to flip and make a quick buck thinking the egr delete or injector should fix the smoke issue since it did not he just wants to get out of it (so I'm told). He hasn't driven it much since it smokes and he does not want to damage it further so I don't know about fluid consumption but I do know oil,trans, and diff fluids have been replaced.

I think I can pick this one up for $6000 as he's asking $6500. I've had a few salvage vehicles (my dad used to own a body shop) so I know the insurance won't full cover this and the value is lowered considerably.

I'm still not sure if a simple head gasket is the fix since there can be valve concerns as others pointed out on here. Any other catastrophic issues come to mind other than valves?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts