Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after deciding if i was gonna just light the pos on fire or not i decided to come here and ask for help.

I have a 2003 F-350 6-speed XLT

NEW 90 HP Injectors
New Oil Cooler
New Starter
New Batteries
Cold Air Intake
Full 4" Exhaust
SCT Programmer
Short Shifter
Updated STC Fitting?
New HPOP
Flashed Ficm
New Clutch Flywheel
Blah Blah Blah and so on

As you can see i have already blown enough money on my pickup, My Issue is i just got my truck back together from Installing HeadGaskets just to start this off.

Idk if this is right but after i got done cab all back on everything i could think of back together without a single extra bolt left. I go to start the ole 6.0 for the first time in 3 weeks unexpectedly it fires up within 2 mins, as i stated idk if this is right but seemed kinda sudden odd to me. SO i take it around the block come back to check for anything out of the ordinary and everything seems fine(Leaks/Whatever). Shut the truck off and cranks a lil longer than i remembered but all is well i suppose. I leave the shop and head for work about 20 miles away and everything is running smooth no dumby lights no issues whatsoever. I arrive at my destination and shut the truck off come back out 10 mins later to pull it in the shed to clean/wash it, fires right up and dies... mmmk crank on it again with 1/4 throttle in starts up dies... let it sit ten minutes fires right up, let it run shut of repeatedly for and hour about 10 times no issues. I drive home about another 20 miles and as soon as i push in the clutch to pull in my drive it dies. lol mmmmk. wont start. wait 10 mins starts. shut it off within 2 mins wont start. ERrr any ides guys? Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
o btw the truck ran perfectly fine before i redone the headgaskets which make me believe i have done something incorrectly, Double checked all connections and the grounds. I think there are two under the passenger-side and one on the passenger-side firewall.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Check your ficm, icp, ipr connectors. Do you have a monitor?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Did you take out and put back the injectors when You sent your heads in to be checked?
You may be getting exhaust gas building up in the fuel system. You may want to do the bubbles and balloon test on the fuel filter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will do all the above today, once again i appreciate the help. Last night i made a 40 mile round trip with no issues till the very end... truck started loosing power and blowing black smoke like a frieghttrain lol. is this a symptom of any of the above? thx

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
will do all the above today, once again i appreciate the help. Last night i made a 40 mile round trip with no issues till the very end... truck started loosing power and blowing black smoke like a frieghttrain lol. is this a symptom of any of the above? thx
Black smoke could be ficm, injector, stuck egr, cac boots loose/torn, exhaust leak on the turbo.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
o and i just noticed that when i have no power i have no boost like max of 10lbs
Stuck egr, cac boots, exhaust leak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the quick reply, i forgot to mention that i have the egr delete also. what is this cac boots wtf is that? lol

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
thanks for the quick reply, i forgot to mention that i have the egr delete also. what is this cac boots wtf is that? lol
Charged air cooler, the radiator like thing that your turbo and intake are hooked up to. The rubber boots get old and torn. Also look for an exhaust leak, soot around the engine compartment for exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well you were somewhat correct lol, exhaust side on the turbo was leaking and the inter-cooler pipe blew off/ fell off, things are junk I cleaned them up a little better and sprayed the inside of them with starting fluid really helped them stick a lot better didn't seem to slip as i tightened them this time around. As far as the exhaust leak goes I had taken the turbo off to figure out where it was leaking and the only thing i noticed was the exhaust side was not sitting flush on the turbo seemed just a smudge off though it was still camped. I changed my oil and put the Motorcraft oil filter back on and Motorcraft oil in instead of Rotella and the Wix filter. The no start issue has not occurred today outta 10 or so start ups I assume it is just very random. Anyway this may of been some sort of fuel air lock issue or something of the sort? I did notice a small leak at the back of the valve cover gasket would that be a big enough leak for a no-start issue? Would the exhaust side leaking cause that or just a no boost issue. I looked at the stc fitting I believe thats what its called? comes out the side of the HPOP and needs a "Special" tool to remove it, is there anyway i can pull that connector off and test it and the one beside it while i have the turbo removed? Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Well you were somewhat correct lol, exhaust side on the turbo was leaking and the inter-cooler pipe blew off/ fell off, things are junk I cleaned them up a little better and sprayed the inside of them with starting fluid really helped them stick a lot better didn't seem to slip as i tightened them this time around. As far as the exhaust leak goes I had taken the turbo off to figure out where it was leaking and the only thing i noticed was the exhaust side was not sitting flush on the turbo seemed just a smudge off though it was still camped. I changed my oil and put the Motorcraft oil filter back on and Motorcraft oil in instead of Rotella and the Wix filter. The no start issue has not occurred today outta 10 or so start ups I assume it is just very random. Anyway this may of been some sort of fuel air lock issue or something of the sort? I did notice a small leak at the back of the valve cover gasket would that be a big enough leak for a no-start issue? Would the exhaust side leaking cause that or just a no boost issue. I looked at the stc fitting I believe thats what its called? comes out the side of the HPOP and needs a "Special" tool to remove it, is there anyway i can pull that connector off and test it and the one beside it while i have the turbo removed? Thanks again guys.
Huh, I was right all the way, hehe he. You do not have a stc fitting. You are talking about the icp, it can cause no start and stalling. you really need to read the stickies and tech files. Do not use anything but motorcraft filters and caps. Rotella oil is fine, I use t6. Get a monitor on that thing.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
anyway to test it with a volt meter?
I monitor mine with monitor. Edge insight. Not sure about the volt meter, it would be a pita.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gotcha i have a sct tuner but i couldn't figure that out lulz. But I did find a thread on how to test it with a volt meter idk how accurate that is but it seemed ok. So somehow my exhuast side of my turbo was not hooked up correct and now I have my boost back :) no issues all morning with the no-start issue though :( soooo we will see what happens i guess

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
second day with no issues starting? would the motorcraft filter really fix this? lol o and the only other issue i am having is when i rev it up then comes to a idle, it seems like..... it wants to die but never does, just kinda of a 2 lopes and then idles fine any ideas on that?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
second day with no issues starting? would the motorcraft filter really fix this? lol o and the only other issue i am having is when i rev it up then comes to a idle, it seems like..... it wants to die but never does, just kinda of a 2 lopes and then idles fine any ideas on that?
Read this while we're at it....http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/showthread.php?t=259257

As for the filters, read this.....http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/ford-6-0-liter-turbo-diesel-truck-filters.aspx

The lope......check fuel pressure, do you have the blue spring update?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no i dont have the blue spring update, though when i bought the truck about a year ago i was told that with the bigger injectors i would need a bigger fuel system/dill the tip of a fuel line out? lulz mmm idk about that but thats what i was told. thx for the links i will check into it tomorrow

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I think you are flirting with disaster if you have no idea what your fuel pressure is with those injectors. It is best to check pressure before and after the blue spring update, to ensure successful install.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts