Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this one has me stumpped. My truck has 90,000 miles on it and it has a 4in lift with 35s on it. At about 55,000 miles it got new head gaskets with studs (arp). I just had the updated oil cooler, turbo oil drain pipe, new radiator cap and deleted the egr(diesel tech kit). I run innovative tunes on my sct, got 4in exhaust(turbo back), and AFE intake. I towed my trailer 240 miles one way and returned to find my degas bottle white from dried coolant. I had to add about 2 qtrs of coolant to get me back to min level. Ive driven my truck now from a couple days and noticed some white dried drops on the degas bottle again. Anybody got any ideas as to whats causing this. B/4 my studs i was running bullydog switch to sct w/ innovative boost was 34 now 29 respectively with more power currently. I m having no issues by gauges or dtcs just residue on bottle and low coolant level.:confused:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
dude thats odd, your truck has been running pretty good lately right? bottle might be cracked?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rjw-Yeah its been running great just had the egr delete and dont notice any driveability issues just the dried coolant? I was wondering what mod was next after the delete but now i dont know i thought id be golden but i m wondering now??lol

Goose- yeah the heads where flat. My dealer did the work and I know the tech really well. I pretty sure all the work was do right. Never had any probelms with their/ his work>

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
awhile back someone was on here with the same problem. they did studs and all and still it was puking. have you tried searching the forum? ill try to find it and send it to you.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Mine was doing that and it turned out to be both heads warped. And they were checked when I put the studs in.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
A lot of the "inspection" when your heads are off are with a simple straight edge. IMO when you're talking about a few thousandths that kind of check isn't going to cut it. When the heads are off to be studded, the heads need to be milled. It's the only way to be absolutely sure IMHO.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I agree, I'm not sure how ford checked them but they said they were good.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
A lot of the "inspection" when your heads are off are with a simple straight edge. IMO when you're talking about a few thousandths that kind of check isn't going to cut it. When the heads are off to be studded, the heads need to be milled. It's the only way to be absolutely sure IMHO.
I agree everytime i do one, i send the heads to the machine shop. I only have them check it for cracks, and flatness. If its ok i reinstall it. If its warped or cracked replacement is needed.

NEVER MACHINE a 6.0l head.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yeah when i did my heads I pulled them and check with a straight edge and feeler gauge and it was really to hard to tell if they were warped, .005 run out or something like that if i remember correct. I had the heads machined anyway just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I agree, I'm not sure how ford checked them but they said they were good.
Ford recommends checking with a straitedge and feeler gauges. It can be very accurate. It just depends on the techs experience, brains, and his "feel"

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Willie, not trying to start any kind of argument, but I'm curious as to why you say to never machine a 6.0 head? I know a dealer or 2 and one reputable aftermarket shop that mill heads everytime on a stud job. They only take enough off to ensure flatness. They are also checked for cracks first of course. I'm just interested to hear your point of view.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I know I read in all data not that ford says if a head is warped it cant be milled flat again, they say you need to buy new heads. I dont agree with that so i milled my heads. I dont know why they say that but I was not about to buy a new set of heads.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I know I read in all data not that ford says if a head is warped it cant be milled flat again, they say you need to buy new heads. I dont agree with that so i milled my heads. I dont know why they say that but I was not about to buy a new set of heads.
This is what a ford service manager told me also.....I got new heads under warrenty so I didnt mind at all.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Willie, not trying to start any kind of argument, but I'm curious as to why you say to never machine a 6.0 head? I know a dealer or 2 and one reputable aftermarket shop that mill heads everytime on a stud job. They only take enough off to ensure flatness. They are also checked for cracks first of course. I'm just interested to hear your point of view.
I dont have the best answer for you right now, but that is what ford taught me in their training seminars. I will make a few phone calls tomorrow, and hopefully i will have a good answer for you!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
You only have about .008 that you can cut on a set of heads before the valves start pinging the pistons. Anymore than that and you're playing with fire.......literally. I've never seen a set of heads come off that didn't have a little warpage. Any more than .001 or .002 and it's gonna puke. BTDT and got the teeshirt.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
I agree everytime i do one, i send the heads to the machine shop. I only have them check it for cracks, and flatness. If its ok i reinstall it. If its warped or cracked replacement is needed.

NEVER MACHINE a 6.0l head.
You only have about .008 that you can cut on a set of heads before the valves start pinging the pistons. Anymore than that and you're playing with fire.......literally. I've never seen a set of heads come off that didn't have a little warpage. Any more than .001 or .002 and it's gonna puke. BTDT and got the teeshirt.
This is exactly why you dont machine a 6.0 head

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
ok back to the topic......
Nitro did you get by the ford place? didnt know if you found out anything?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts