Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2004 Ford F350 Dually with the 6.0 poweretroke and It seems to either have broken a lifter or an exhaust valve. I currently do not have to money to fix it but I am saving up to get it repaired.

I have heard that if it is a lifter that I should replace them all and if Im replacing lifters, then I might as well stud it and if I am studding it then I should change the intercooler etc etc...

I just want to know about how much money I should save up to take it into the shop and fix Everything that should be fixed or bulletproofed before I take it in.

I understand that it is a 6.0 and they are generally not the greatest but I have some sentiment in this truck and I want to get it fixed rather than selling or trading it off so please keep any 6.0 remarks to yourself 馃ぃ and no I am not gonna Cummins swap it.

I am an OTR truck driver so this issue isnt really pressing since it sits for 2 weeks at a time.

please give as much feedback as you can on how much (generally) I would need in the bank to take it to a shop and get everything redone

Thank you
Charles

Registered
Most people around here are fond of the 6.0s since the issues are fairly easily resolved. Don't mistake easy for cheap though lol.

With little to no info on your rig I would say 10k gets you an extremely solid motor and you shouldn't have to worry about it again for a long time.

Reactions: MtnTallPaul

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you know it's a lifter? Do you have a way to monitor PIDs?
Depending on what repairs it needs the bill could be between $1500 and $15000.
The only way I figure its a lifter or a valve is because I broke ot down to the rocker arms and the bridge fell off of the valves, when I reseated it I had ALOT of slack in the rocker arm, O thought it was a bad rocker and so I replaced the rocker and put a 6.4 Pushrod and amd still had ALOT of slack between the rocker and the bridge, so when I put it back together, the bridge fell off and now the valves wont open leaving me with a dead cylinder

Registered
What I'd be ready for a new camshaft as well. Assuming the lifter is crap, you need to explore why. If the bearing didn't grenade into needle bearings, then your camshaft could be crap. But you'll never know until you tear it apart. And if I were you, I'd buy the parts and do it yourself. Maybe spend 2500 dollars on everything and you will have a really solid truck. If you take it to a shop, the labor will cost an arm and a leg.

Premium Member
If the lifter is gone, the entire oiling system has to be cleaned, and that will mean a complete teardown, with the exception the pistons could be left in the bores so the cylinders do not have to be honed and new rings installed.

It will need a new cam and all the lifters. And since the heads will be off, any issues with the heads should be addressed. The work and cost list get pretty steep. Quickly.

The cheap route is an unknown salvage engine. The expensive route is a long block from someone like Ashville.

Tie Tree Military camouflage Military person Cap

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.