Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've had this issue since I bought the truck and I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. The truck (2007 F250 6.0 Powerstroke) has only ever built around 8-10 PSI of boost (maximum), which is obviously low as every other 6.0 I have driven is capable of surpassing 25 PSI like it's nothing. I've been fighting this boost issue for a couple years now, and I'm looking to see if anyone has had something similar. I'm aware that there's many things that can cause low boost / boost leaks, but none have been able to solve my boost problem. Here's a list of things that I know are not the problem-

Turbo: This particular problem has persisted across 3 turbos.
Charge pipes, boots, or clamps: The charge pipes were replaced with aluminum pipes from KC Turbos, and the boots were replaced with Riff Raff Diesel's kit.
Intercooler: One of the 3 turbos mentioned above experienced bearing failure and wiped out the intercooler, so the factory intercooler was replaced with a new CSF aluminum intercooler.
Up-pipes: The up-pipes started a small leak, so they were replaced altogether.
MAP Sensor: The MAP Sensor was replaced, the boost issue persisted.
EBP: All readings pertaining to the EBP are good.
Boost Gauge: I was wondering if the boost gauge itself was malfunctioning, so I installed a monitor (SCT Livewire TS+) and the readings on the monitor matched the 8-10 PSI on the instrument cluster.
Tuning: When I bought the truck it had a pilot injection tune loaded onto it but the tuner wasn't with the truck, so the truck was sent to Ford to get a full re-flash back to stock / factory settings.
PCM: I've heard of bad PCM's causing weird issues, but between the time of buying the truck and sending it to Ford for the re-flash a separate PCM was installed (I hated the pilot injection and I've only head bad things about them). The problem persisted across both PCM's

At this point I'm at a loss. I've tried what seems like everything to fix this boost issue but none have solved it. The truck is on a factory tune (I'm 100% sure of that), and it seems like I have replaced everything that could possibly cause a boost issue. I've seen countless forums with the same problem, but almost all of them seem to be solved by fixing / replacing the turbo, MAP sensor, or EBP. All of these have been replaced on my truck, so has anyone had the same issue or have any ideas as to what else could cause such such poor performance? Thanks in advance to any that can help.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
What is your fuel pressure? ICP/IPR/FICM readings all good?

Compare EBO, MAP, BARO sensors KOEO...they should be within ~0.5psi of each other. It would be nice to get some screen shots of those sensors plus the important PID's while your driving.

Also, you said your MAP & EBP sensors were replaced, but did you make sure the MAP hose had no cracks? Also, did you clean the nipple out on the intake manifold where the MAP sensor hose goes? Same with EBP...was the EBP sensor tube pulled and cleaned and was the piece on the manifold poked with some wire to me sure of no blockages?

-jokester

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok so I've had this issue since I bought the truck and I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. The truck (2007 F250 6.0 Powerstroke) has only ever built around 8-10 PSI of boost (maximum), which is obviously low as every other 6.0 I have driven is capable of surpassing 25 PSI like it's nothing. I've been fighting this boost issue for a couple years now, and I'm looking to see if anyone has had something similar. I'm aware that there's many things that can cause low boost / boost leaks, but none have been able to solve my boost problem. Here's a list of things that I know are not the problem-

Turbo: This particular problem has persisted across 3 turbos.
Charge pipes, boots, or clamps: The charge pipes were replaced with aluminum pipes from KC Turbos, and the boots were replaced with Riff Raff Diesel's kit.
Intercooler: One of the 3 turbos mentioned above experienced bearing failure and wiped out the intercooler, so the factory intercooler was replaced with a new CSF aluminum intercooler.
Up-pipes: The up-pipes started a small leak, so they were replaced altogether.
MAP Sensor: The MAP Sensor was replaced, the boost issue persisted.
EBP: All readings pertaining to the EBP are good.
Boost Gauge: I was wondering if the boost gauge itself was malfunctioning, so I installed a monitor (SCT Livewire TS+) and the readings on the monitor matched the 8-10 PSI on the instrument cluster.
Tuning: When I bought the truck it had a pilot injection tune loaded onto it but the tuner wasn't with the truck, so the truck was sent to Ford to get a full re-flash back to stock / factory settings.
PCM: I've heard of bad PCM's causing weird issues, but between the time of buying the truck and sending it to Ford for the re-flash a separate PCM was installed (I hated the pilot injection and I've only head bad things about them). The problem persisted across both PCM's

At this point I'm at a loss. I've tried what seems like everything to fix this boost issue but none have solved it. The truck is on a factory tune (I'm 100% sure of that), and it seems like I have replaced everything that could possibly cause a boost issue. I've seen countless forums with the same problem, but almost all of them seem to be solved by fixing / replacing the turbo, MAP sensor, or EBP. All of these have been replaced on my truck, so has anyone had the same issue or have any ideas as to what else could cause such such poor performance? Thanks in advance to any that can help.
Where did you get the EBP readings? I'd take it out and clean it and/or replace it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is your fuel pressure? ICP/IPR/FICM readings all good?

Compare EBO, MAP, BARO sensors KOEO...they should be within ~0.5psi of each other. It would be nice to get some screen shots of those sensors plus the important PID's while your driving.

Also, you said your MAP & EBP sensors were replaced, but did you make sure the MAP hose had no cracks? Also, did you clean the nipple out on the intake manifold where the MAP sensor hose goes? Same with EBP...was the EBP sensor tube pulled and cleaned and was the piece on the manifold poked with some wire to me sure of no blockages?

-jokester
Ok sorry for getting back so late, I've been out of town. It's late and I only have my phone, so I couldn't get any good pictures of the EBP, but I do have some pictures of the MAP and some readings off the monitor shortly after start. I'll be getting it out tomorrow and then I'll have some pictures of the monitor readings driving down the road and get some better MAP and EBP pictures, but here's what I have

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper
Communication Device Font Gadget Mobile device Technology
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design

I know they're not great, but I also didn't want to be the guy who never responds to his own forum post

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you get the EBP readings? I'd take it out and clean it and/or replace it.
EBP Readings were last obtained using a Snap On scanner (Solus Ultra), I pulled it up on the monitor today, but it looks like it's in kPA, making it hard to compare to boost. I'll switch it over to PSI and record the monitor readings tomorrow

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vgt wiring? If you unplug it does the exhaust tone change?
I know it's not the VGT solenoid itself because it was replaced with the turbo, but I honestly never even thought to track the wiring and look for corrosion. I'll definitely look into that.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
8,774 Posts
MAP (boost) and EBP look OK at idle. Usually it is bets to post those at "Key On Engine Off". Also, the BARO sensor plays a part in the operation.

You may have to remove the MAP hose to really evaluate it, and for sure you have to remove it from the intake manifold nipple in order to clean out that nipple (use a small diameter wire).

Frankly, it sounds like a leak and the best way to find it might be a smoke test.

·
Registered
100 Posts
EBP Readings were last obtained using a Snap On scanner (Solus Ultra), I pulled it up on the monitor today, but it looks like it's in kPA, making it hard to compare to boost. I'll switch it over to PSI and record the monitor readings tomorrow
Thats 19 psi. I think the spec is 17 psi. I am nitpicking though so.... But I also didn't see anything about your intake piping. Is it stock or do you have metal? An just check all the boots. Try to pull the pipes off and if they can move out of the boot at all, tighten it down. So yeah, I agree with bismic, probably a leak somewhere. Just a matter of finding it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats 19 psi. I think the spec is 17 psi. I am nitpicking though so.... But I also didn't see anything about your intake piping. Is it stock or do you have metal? An just check all the boots. Try to pull the pipes off and if they can move out of the boot at all, tighten it down. So yeah, I agree with bismic, probably a leak somewhere. Just a matter of finding it.
The intake is the factory intake, and just last week are when I replaced all the charge pipes, boots, and clamps. The boots and clamps are all secured. I would typically blame an up-pipe crack for most boost leaks, but those are also relatively new, so I guess it's time to inspect the exhaust manifold and throw on some gaskets. The reason I was thinking it was a sensor though was because the truck has had a couple boost leaks in the past that were promptly fixed, and they all solved the annoying sounds they caused, but not the low boost problem. This didn't occur to me until recently, but it is possibly a leak in the intake manifold area? I haven't heard of it, but I'm sure a leak around the intake manifold itself would cause a loss of boost.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's some readings rolling at 55mph in overdrive at different oil temps.
Car Sky Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer
Vehicle Hood Plant Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
FYI - SCT devices don't read EBP correctly...EVER! So, you'll have to get something else to read EBP.

Something's not adding up, so i'll ask again...

What is your fuel pressure & can you show us ICPv along with ICP, IPR%, and boost readings while you're cruising?

-jokester

1 - 12 of 12 Posts