Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Skip below to ISSUE or SUMMARY if I am rambling too much. My truck has been sitting for about 1 year now without being started. Stopped driving it because my oil cooler went out and the shop I was going to take it to couldn't get me in right away plus I was considering the bulletproof oil cooler but didn't really feel like spending the money so I ended up buying another vehicle and decided I'd just let the truck sit for a bit. Has been sitting in the hot Texas sun during last summer and this summer and through the winter.

Anyways, my first thought was I need to drain out all the old diesel completely so I am dropping my fuel tank and while I am at it, will do the harpoon mod.

ISSUE:

I opened the degas bottle and noticed that there wasn't any coolant left, and the inside of the coolant bottle was all brown with brown-looking flakes from the coolant that must have evaporated/dried up.

Definitely not from just being old because this isn't the original degas bottle, had a new one installed after it was bulletproofed several years back. I understand that when you run the truck the coolant can definitely change levels because it's flowing through the system but it rises back up to normal levels. As I said I am assuming it evaporated and dried up so do you guys think all of the coolant is gone or just some of it and I need to refill it? (guess I could've checked by draining it from the bottom but haven't yet). I am not wanting to start it until I know + do the fuel drain.

So currently my plans are to drain all of the coolant and flush the whole coolant system. What do you guys recommend I do? and how on earth do I clean out those flakes out of the degas bottle? And what worries me, maybe there are some flakes elsewhere else but perhaps flushing the system will get rid of that too?

In SUMMARY: what can I do to fix the degas bottle/coolant situation. AND is there anything else you guys would recommend that I do before starting this truck up again so I can go get the oil cooler replaced. If it's something basic like the two things I mentioned I can do it myself but anything more I may not be up for it/have the tools to do so.

Your time and help on this matter are much appreciated!

·
Compression Ignition Addict
9,424 Posts
If the coolant was at the 50/50 concentration, then I doubt it evaporated. I would bet on a leak somewhere.
What year is the truck?

Do you still have am active EGR system (cooler)?
If so, I would recommend pulling the EGR valve to see what is in the intake.

What coolant were you running?

How bad was the oil cooler failure? Oil floating on top the coolant in the degas bottle, or a thick emulsified oily sludge?

Before you dump the coolant system, I would fill it with water and see exactly how low it was. You very well might find a leak when filling it. If oil is allowed to remain in the system a long time, it will degrade all the coolant hoses.

I would hold off on flushing it until you fully determine what is going on.

·
Premium Member
7,662 Posts
Loosen, but to not remove the oil drain plug -- when you get to the "lats thread" on the plug it will start to leak whatever is in the pan -- should be pure oil with no water that comes out

Likely a hose clamp that is not sealing well, or where one of the spring clamps have been replaced -- the spring clamps, tho some curse them, will keep a constant pressure on the hose connection -- but must be aligned straight with the hose, to seal well.

Reactions: 2MANYPROJ3CTS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey Bismic, appreciate your reply. Please see my answers below.

If the coolant was at the 50/50 concentration, then I doubt it evaporated. I would bet on a leak somewhere.
What year is the truck? 2006

Do you still have am active EGR system (cooler)? No sir, already egr deleted
If so, I would recommend pulling the EGR valve to see what is in the intake.

What coolant were you running? honestly no idea as it was filled up by the last shop I took it to by some random coolant they had

How bad was the oil cooler failure? Oil floating on top the coolant in the degas bottle, or a thick emulsified oily sludge?
to be honest I can't say I noticed either one of these. I am saying the oil cooler failed because I was monitoring the oil temp and the coolant temp. The EOT would get so far separated from the normal temp and far away from the ECT temps. The separation use to be 15 or less and then it got all the way to about 30-50 degrees apart, with the EOT well above 240. So I forced myself to drive a bit slower to keep it lower.

Before you dump the coolant system, I would fill it with water and see exactly how low it was. You very well might find a leak when filling it. If oil is allowed to remain in the system a long time, it will degrade all the coolant hoses.
good idea I will try this.
I would hold off on flushing it until you fully determine what is going on.

other than these ideas, do you think I am good to start the truck once I do as mentioned?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loosen, but to not remove the oil drain plug -- when you get to the "lats thread" on the plug it will start to leak whatever is in the pan -- should be pure oil with no water that comes out

Likely a hose clamp that is not sealing well, or where one of the spring clamps have been replaced -- the spring clamps, tho some curse them, will keep a constant pressure on the hose connection -- but must be aligned straight with the hose, to seal well.
thanks for your reply, and what is this in reference to?

·
Premium Member
2005 F250 FX4 Lariat CCSB - ARP studs, EGR deleted, IPR coolant filter
578 Posts
thanks for your reply, and what is this in reference to?
I suspect to make sure that water hasn't made it I to the oil.

If it has, the first thing to drip out will be water.

That is something you want to know before you try running the engine.

·
Registered
06 6.0 KDD Stage 2 Long Block and Heads, HD trans, BW 366, Ported Intake, Banks Hi-Ram Intercooler
354 Posts
Lower rad hose leak? The crappy oem clamps and an old rotted hose can do this I think. It's the low point in the system. Your motor should still have coolant in it. Barring any issues with mix of oil and water at time of failure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
did you pull the oil drain yet? very curious. My money is on your oil cooler leaking coolant into the oil. In total sceintific theroy with the truck not being run for so long the crankcase should have been just atmospheric pressure since its not 100% sealed as your coolant system should be. Hot Texas sun could cause enough pressure in the coolant system to push coolant into the oil via the failed cooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts