Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, i do not want to offend any 7.3 owners I will be one soon. I have been test driving 7.3s for a while and was wondering is their that much of a horsepower difference cause it sure felt very slow to me. My 6.0 has been tuned by innovative since I bought it though, so maybe thats it? I had to really get into the pedal for it to downshift. I am looking at a 7.3 with 98K miles, it is a 2000. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
A tuned 6.0 will make between 400-440 hp at the rear wheels

A tuned 7.3 will make roughly 300-320 hp at the rear wheels

A stock 6.0 makes close to the amount of rwhp as a tuned 7.3

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Well i have a 7.3 and I can say that the 6.0 is gonna be faster anyday unless you drop a tun of money into it. They both have thier ups and downs. Some say the 7.3s are more realiable. I'd say if its a good deal I'd jump on it man.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yeah, I have had people that used to have the 7.3 and now have the 6L say they would trade for my 73 anyday.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
With the same mods the 6.0's pretty much always have more HP, partly due to the fact that it will rev 1000rpm's higher. (HP is just a mathematical equation and the same torque made at a higher rpm will always be higher hp) That being said, stock 7.3 does feel like a dog to me. I am always amazed that when I put mine back on the stock tune, that I used to think it had a decent amount of power before I got the chip. Either way, I love my 7.3 and wouldn't trade it for a 6.0 if you paid me. (Well, MAYBE if you paid me enough. Lol)
-Aaron

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Yeah, I have had people that used to have the 7.3 and now have the 6L say they would trade for my 73 anyday.
I have had both and honestly prefer my 6.0. It pulls better than my 7.3 ever did.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
The diesel scene wasn't huge w/ the 7.3's.. they were reliable, got good mileage, and pulled ANYTHING.

They are both great motors, but the 7.3 is tougher and a beast when modded.

·
a known holder of grudges
2,055 Posts
Mine on stock tuning with bolt-on mods still seems like a bit of a slow dog, but when I put the programmer on it, it really is a monster of a truck

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
You ever race a 6.0 w/ your tuned 7.3?

·
2,055 Posts
no, I'm limping around on an old and tired E4OD. I'm running stock tuning until I can get it built right. I would say I could take a tuned 6.0, but one with injectors and such, I doubt it. I've driven a 6.0 too, so I have something to go on.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Good deal. I cant wait to get my straight pipe and TW chip on this thing man

·
2,055 Posts
Good deal. I cant wait to get my straight pipe and TW chip on this thing man
I actually am going to try and find the guy who will put custom tunes in my Edge Evo to match my injectors, and have the trans tuning removed it in the process so when I get the trans built, the tuning won't jack the line pressure so high a bark the tires in every gear.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Does it bark during gear changes now??

·
2,055 Posts
Does it bark during gear changes now??
No, it will though after I put the goodies in the trans, and run an edge program too cuz the edge jacks the line pressure in the E4OD, and so will the trans rebuild so one has to give and it's going to be the trans tuning in the edge or custom tunes whichever I go with.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Oh I see what you are saying. Ya that would be an iffy situation lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
I raced a 6.0 that had an intake and exhaust like mine and I smoked him off the line and he caught up at 50 and we stayed close until about 70 than he pulled away. Than his FICM went out and the truck started miss firing haha. But the 6.0s are pretty mean when they are running right and tuned.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
All you had was an intake and exhaust on your '95 and you hung in with him?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yea, but like I said something was wrong with his FICM and he said his truck was missing pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I am almost positive that I could take a 6.0 that didn't have tunes. Maybe if I remember I will get F250Ghost to load a stock tune up at the track and see, even with his tunes he was less than a second faster in the 1/8th and I didn't build boost before the green.
-Aaron

·
Registered
322 Posts
The 6.0s are strong running motors but my buddy that has one has had to sink alot of money in it to make it run right. New FICM, than right after that his head gaskets went out so he did head studs and gaskets. Than his egr got all goofy so he just did a egr delete

1 - 20 of 27 Posts