Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had three OEM Garrett turbos fail on me over the years. Needless to say I will never try one again.
My check engine light has been on for a few years now and it's been telling me to replace the turbocharger because of overboost issues.

My question is what is a good recommended performance turbocharger for my F-250 powerstroke?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
First off your current issue at least seems to me like it would be a sensor such as the MAP sensor or EBP over the turbo being bad. But if you're hellbent on a new turbo KC Turbos is a great go to for turbos. What year is your truck?

·
Administrator
25,173 Posts
@[email protected] can sell you a turbo, just call him.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Agreed with checking all your sensors first. At KOEO (key on engine off) check the values for the following:

MAP
EBP
BARO

They should all be within ~0.5psi of each other.

-jokester

·
Premium Member
9,132 Posts
I sure wouldn't be running off to buy a new turbo due to an overboost code.
But, ...But, ...the sound of the parts cannon in the morning fog

·
Registered
444 Posts
Did you try finding a reputable place to have the turbo rebuilt? I've got 210 on mine.. it was rebuilt 3 or 4 years ago at 120k I had the intake off the other day and there is still zero slop in there.

Agree with everyone else though. Check everything else before you throw a new turbo in there again.

KT's as supposedly the bomb but a little $pendy. Of you don't need to make massive power then I'd probably stick with OEM.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
886 Posts
Forehead Glasses Nose Cheek Chin

There’s nothing wrong with Garrett turbos… definitely something wrong with your truck. There might be something wrong with you for letting your wrench light stay on with an associated code that suggest you have an issue.

All the valuable advice above and some words to live by when it comes to an incredibly complex turbo Diesel engine… if a major component fails repeatedly after replacement, it’s literally insane to continue replacing that part. You’re likely over-boosting because of your MAP or EBP. If it’s an 03 with inferred strategy, it’s heavily dependent on mass air flow and not at all on EBP. Diagnostic before replacing anything is the only effective way of maintaining your truck.

You have to take a step back and gain some knowledge on a 6.0 to A: limit your frustration, TWO: not throw parts at it all the time AND C: not go broke.

Also, stop using canned tunes from Bullydog or whatever. Those tunes will kill truck. Should you decide to cook another new turbo, at least do us all a kindness and post the video of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts