Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first post here.
I have a 2005 F250 with the 6.0 powerstroke.
Truck is loosing coolant at a fast rate with no visible leak even after pressure test. White smoke only on initial acceleration during cold start.
Replaced oil cooler with OEM oil cooler and gaskets less than 1k miles ago. Truck has a EGR delete so not egr cooler going out. Not running weird just loosing coolant with no idea why. Replaced degas cap after noticing white residue. Thinking head gasket? Thank you for any advice!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Do a pressure check to be sure. THere’s YouTUbe videos abut hooligans a gauge and looking for 16 PSI. About $50 to build this gauge from scratch.

·
Registered
2005 F350 Lariat Crew
679 Posts
Hi guys, first post here.
I have a 2005 F250 with the 6.0 powerstroke.
Truck is loosing coolant at a fast rate with no visible leak even after pressure test. White smoke only on initial acceleration during cold start.
Replaced oil cooler with OEM oil cooler and gaskets less than 1k miles ago. Truck has a EGR delete so not egr cooler going out. Not running weird just loosing coolant with no idea why. Replaced degas cap after noticing white residue. Thinking head gasket? Thank you for any advice!
Yeah, looks like head gasket. Or at least a leaking degas bottle. That white residue is a big clue too.

·
Premium Member
2,531 Posts
I'll edit what ChrisSki said for clarity.

"Do a pressure check to be sure. There are YouTube videos about hooking up a gauge and looking for 16 PSI. About $50 to build this gauge from scratch."

There are a good number of videos and threads on a few of the forums. It's a good step in determining the issue as an overfill can also cause the problem. But the loss of coolant is a good way, but it can be a false lead if you just don't catch a leaking seam or connection. A leaking oil cooler or gaskets can also cause a coolant leak, and if the coolant is low enough to not fully wet the heads, the pressure increase can blow the cap.

Reactions: jokester00
1 - 4 of 4 Posts