Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a 2006 e350 with 145,000 miles. A mechanic pre-purchase inspection said healthy engine. Invoice shows work done in 2013 to the tune of $5000US but did not list the items replaced. Heads studs where replaced (visible), and apparently a new oil cooler, EGR delete, dummy plugs, and fuel tubes? It was done by a H&H Diesel Performance whose phone seems to be out of service, so no way to talk to mechanic.

I just drove Flagstaaf to Dallas and the engine sounded and ran great. I was able to drive long stretches to test oil cooling at speed over a half hour test period for each speed and recorded the following:

Mph EOT ECT
75 201 191
70 197 188
65 195 188
60 195 186
60 208 198 On a 1/2 hour uphill grade

FICM 48.5-49

From what I have researched, this looks within specks, but just talked to an certified bulletproof diesel shop and they say EOT-ECT should be within 7-8 degrees of each other. Also said if fan clutch is running all the time that is a problem, but did not notice if fan clutch was running a lot.

Any comments here on if I should put in a new oil cooler? Seems good to me as is.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
You're fine, but you may have a new oil cooler in your future. I'd wait until it got to 15 degree delta, and then I'd start with a backflush and then if that doesn't work, OEM oil cooler, BPD or IPR relocate kit, or BPD remote air cooled oil cooler.

The excessive delta happened to me, and I had the BPD oil cooler installed.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Numbers look OK to me, except for the low coolant temps -- unless you are using the heater on high, which can cause low temps

The Thermostat is supposed to be 195* which sets the minimum temp for the engine -- the vistronic fan system controls the max temp
normal engine operating temp is about 200* and is controlled by the PCM using various sensors
coolant, engine oil, trans oil, air temp, engine load, RPM, AC

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
This may be splitting hairs but from what I've read the OEM thermostat is 89C which translates to 192.2F. That said and if my sensors are correct, my normal ECT operating range is 188 to 192F.

k

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
So by that your t-stat is bad -- as I mentioned the t-stat sets the minimum temp

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
So by that your t-stat is bad -- as I mentioned the t-stat sets the minimum temp
For me, I'm thinking it's my sensor. That or the OEM Ford T-STats are just wrong. This is the 3rd OEM T-stat I've had in my truck that sets the min temp at 188. I'll be installing another new one in my Excursion soon. We'll see what we get there for comparison.

k

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,106 Posts
A 10 degree temperature differential is not bad - you just need to make sure that it is fairly accurate. Obviously it would be better if it were lower, but it doesn't have to be. BPD is being very conservative. That said, I like to see low oil temps and would hate to see temps ever get above 220 degrees.

You can compare the cold temperatures as one test (compare EOT, ECT, TFT, IAT1, IAT2 on a completely cold engine).

Also, you can switch the oil and coolant sensors and see if the differential changes.

Just like you (and most healthy systems), the ECT-EOT differential doesn't change much at any speed. From my experience, it won't change much even when towing moderate loads.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
The calibration temp is stamped on the thermostat wax element -- you can also check opening temp by heating in water on your stove with a thermometer
With todays high quality standards(not) -- I would boil the new one and the old one to compare
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wax_thermostatic_element

1 - 8 of 8 Posts