Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us 6.0 owners have some kind of beater on standby if the truck decides to go south?...I just always wondered that.

Im looking for a beater box style F150 to just have on standby just in case things happen.

Anybody else have something similar on standby?

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Never considered having a second car on stand-by, longest my 6.0L has been in the shop was 8 days for the head gaskets. If I knew then, what I know now it wouldn't have been in there for those either.

Save the cash for the beater, and invest in a monitor and keeping up the maintenance. These trucks are great, but you have to know what to look for to prevent major issues.

·
Banned
3,782 Posts
It must be sad having to have a backup for your truck cause you know it's unreliable.

You poor 6.0 owners. :poke

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
No back-up here either, unless you count the wifes mini van. I'd rather walk than drive that damn thing. Funny thing is, is she doesn't care that much for it either. She's always stealing my truck if she knows she'll be back before I get up, or knows I'm not going anywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Drive a beater accord to work everyday. My truck only gets drivin to tow the trailer to dunes or watertoys to lake, or hunting or riding ect. My truck is my favorite. Want her to last me, only got 26k on her, and 7 payments left!!!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
No back up here. I love driving the truck as my daily driver. If it lets me down i'll call in sick for work. No biggie except for the massive repair bill that will probably follow.:hehe:

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
I had a 2002 F150 I had for 8 years, sold it in november 2010. Honestly I dont have anything but since my dad retired I just go over and pick up his car he never really uses it anymore and its newer so he wants it driven. Kind of embarassing that I borrow my parents car when I never have before in my 13 years of driving

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am not trying to toot my own horn or anything but I have always had multiple vehicles between the wife and I. Anywhere from 3-4 vehichles, plus motorcycles.

Never been a believer in the beater system.

We use our truck mostly for towing and unfortunately it sits more than average. (hence some of my turbo problems possibly)

When it gets driven even if I do take it to work it gets driven more than a mile down the road.

So to answer your question yes we have other cars to drive and the truck is not the only way to get around.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
no backup here and my 6.0 has 172K on it and its all stock except straight piped and saprtan tune. (for now)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Not a believer in a backup or daily driver. Waste of money and quality of life, I like to drive what makes me happy.

I do have an M35A2 deuce and a half that ends up being backup duty on the rare occasion when the 6.0 is down. And a road race only not street legal mustang.....

·
Registered
295 Posts
I always have a couple vehicles bangin around. I turn a lot of cars just to make small profits here and there, thats how I paid for part of my schooling. I used to have a S-10 I used to get around town in when I didn't feel like waiting for my truck to warm up. I can tell ya you really feel like your man card is being yanked out from under ya when you go from a diesel down to a s-10.

·
Registered
968 Posts
OK, I gotta say it. I thought about a smart car, as It will fit in the bed :woot:

The ole Super Duty is down now so I can weld the EGR cooler closed and replace the STC fitting. I'm just taking time off work. I did buy my wife a 2012 Focus and that's not a bad car. The only problems are it's too long to fit the bed and It's not much fun on long trips. I hear rumours that Mazda is launching a diesel car to compete with the TDI's

·
Registered
53 Posts
I only drive my 6.0 once a week. I use it only when I need it. If I havn't used it I will drive it to work once a week just to keep it running. I am a tightwad. I wouldn't give a quarter to watch a piss-ant eat a roll of hay. My truck cost 30+ cents a mile to operate. My car is 14 cents a mile. I drive 62 miles round trip to work 6-7 days a week. I paid $12,000 for the car. If I drive the car 2.8 years I can pay for the car just from the savings on operating cost. The car is a aveo and ugly as all getout. I don't look sexy driving it, of course I wouldn't look sexy driving a porsche towing a lamborghini either so I really don't care. I would much rather drive the truck, but I just can't justify the extra operating cost.

·
Registered
181 Posts
All i got is my motorcycle and truck, and I take the truck over the motorcycle any day because i just LOVE driving the beast. Don't think I could buy a back up even if I wanted to.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My backup car:

This picture was taken on the day I taught my youngest brother how to drive a manual!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got some summer cars I toy around with, I do love my 6.0 but like stated when my up piped went out I had to use my mothers Jeep Liberty. So looking for a beater farm truck to put a plow on it and pull the "just in case" thing.

Im 28 and feels weird to call my mother to borrow the truck lol.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
No beaters but I have a Mustang GT and a Mustang Cobra also. A man has to have toys.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts