Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I realize there will not be anyone here telling me to get the Chebby, But tell me why the 6.0 is better, I like the truck better, it seems to be more of a truck, I need a crew cab long bed, And will tow max 14K but live in colorado and the passes kicked my 97 psd a$$. I am not big on tuning so I am trying to compare in factory trim, just bone stock.. So watcha think??

·
Registered
181 Posts
i have never driven a 6.0, my brother had a 04 duramax and it had some crazy power. he used to tow a 26 foot enclosed 10,000 pound trailer for work and did 75-80 no problem. had no problems with it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Dave Kennedy for Diesel Power Magazine said he would go like this Duramax for daily driving,cummins for a play toy, and a powerstroke for a work truck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dave Kennedy for Diesel Power Magazine said he would go like this Duramax for daily driving,cummins for a play toy, and a powerstroke for a work truck.
i second that . the chevy is a great highway rig

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is crazy, I would have thought that there would be more 6.0 guys here standing by their truck, Is a 6.0 that bad that you recommend I buy a duramax???

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
This is crazy, I would have thought that there would be more 6.0 guys here standing by their truck, Is a 6.0 that bad that you recommend I buy a duramax???
I love my 6.0, but i have never owned a duramax so i dont have anything to compare it to

·
Registered
750 Posts
IMO overall I like the Ford. I think the interior comforts and heavier duty driveline (axles,transfer case, etc.), more than make up for the slight lack it has to the Chebby. But, hey man it's your money, spend it how you want. BTW, pop the hood on a duramax, now how would you like to deal with all of that, on my buddy's chevy, I don't think you could drop a half inch nut anywhere in there and have it hit the ground.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
yeah you cant really work on a duramax. personaly id buy a ford. which i did. but i do like the duramax motor, but everything else to me sucks. i dont like the interior, and they even lost the exteror look IMO. if it were me, id buy the 6.0 given the choices. but i drive a 7.3, and i drive it for a reason!

·
Registered
672 Posts
my brother has an 06 duramax and i have an 04 6.0. the similarities are that both trucks have great power (i have sct, he has ppe) meaning they can burn down the drag strip or pull a load. the difference is preference.... his truck is very quiet inside and out and it is a great highway truck, plus the 6sp allison is awesome. both trucks are great but like said before... if its a highway truck you want go with the duramax and if its a work truck you want go with a 6.0. don't forget the 03+ cummins... its quiet and it has ultimate pulling power

·
Registered
567 Posts
I like chevys pre new body style changes, interior. I like it allot. One thing that blows is the Independent front suspension. If you’re plowing or doing sled pulling/drag racing then you need to dump some serious coin to get billet parts. Outside of that it’s a common rail engine and it can make good power without allot of modifications (like a dodge). It will be about as fuel efficient as a 6.0, but it depends on what engine you get (LBZ, LLY or LB7). There tranny don’t take much HP before they need upgraded and they are expensive to do (you pay a premium for that Allison name). The Lb7 has tranny and injector issues the LLY and LBZ are fine. LBZ is a good hot rodding engine but if you push it to hard you melt pistons. LBZ can turn 500 without anything but some basic upgrades and tuning. EFI Live is a great program, you can control everything about the GM powertrain with it. LB7 seems to have the best fuel economy, and the the LLY and LBZ are mixed.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The bowtie front ends are the same on the 1500 as on th 2500+

thats just what ive heard. Id get the ford, cause would you rather have a HEAVY DUTY or a SUPER DUTY!? If im gonna take a monster DUTY, im gonna skip HEAVY and make it SUPER! hahahaha

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
I drove everything out there and drove them hard for almost a year. The dealers knew me by name due that I visited so often. By the time I chose Ford there were no more 2006 left on the lot. I started looking at used '06s when I stumbeled on this one. It wasn't even listed in inventory. Stole it under cost for no interest even!
Drove better than dodge,,,,OK....almost as good as cheby. Since I altered suspension,,,
WAY BETTER THAT THE REST!! I'm more than happy with my Ford and would do it again if needed!!!

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
That IFS under the GM's is nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be. It's not the same parts as what is under the half tons. The tie rods bend on the gm's if you stress them such as 4 wheel boosted launches/racing as well as sled pulling. Easily cured with tie rod sleeves. I would rather have a solid axle though. The Duramax is overall a better engine. The GM trucks are pretty high quality, IMO, close to Ford but not not better.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The one thing you can do too is if you ever get the chance is crawl under the chevy and then a ford you'll notice how much more heavy duty the ford is built. But all in all there both good trucks I just like the ford better.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
i drive duramaxes everyday. i work at a gmc dealership. i also see them come in and out of the shop. to be honest i think duramax's can be plagues with just as many problems as 6.0 can. the reason i dont like the truck. ive come to find out i dont like the way it handles. very touchy to the steering wheel almost like a sports car. i went over a speed bump one time going pretty fast and it was almost the shocks couldnt rebound fast enough for the bump result being that when the trucks momentum came down from the speed bump the shocks were already compressed and then had to be compressed even more to which they bottomed out. i dont no if thats what happend but it sure felt like that. just so you nothis is on a brand new duramax. one thing i was quite impressed with the power of the motor.1st gear doesnt seem like it pulls to hard and it seems kinda pointless for that truck unless your pulling but second gear you can really feel it pull. another bad thing about the truck is the powerband felt like it started around 2800 rpms. felt doggish untill the turbo lit up and 2500 to 2800 rpms one good thing though is the new style interior is really nice

·
Cynic
11,178 Posts
OK I realize there will not be anyone here telling me to get the Chebby, But tell me why the 6.0 is better, I like the truck better, it seems to be more of a truck, I need a crew cab long bed, And will tow max 14K but live in colorado and the passes kicked my 97 psd a$$. I am not big on tuning so I am trying to compare in factory trim, just bone stock.. So watcha think??

Are you just wanting a new truck? If so, either one is a good choice but I believe the ford is better.

Personally, if your OBS is still nice... I'd update it with newer parts and keep it! :thumb:

I love the OBS trucks.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
To be honest i keep going back to Ford trucks cause they can take a beating and hold up better overall over time. I have managed our fleet since 89 and gm's are always nickle and dime us with problems like dash controls like heater ac not working. The Fords just keep working and even after a couple of hundred thousand miles the cab creature comforts still work like new. The GM also has a wimpy front end if you plan on doin any rough stuff. The favorite vehicle in our fleet is a 1999 F250 5.4L, everyone loves this truck and it still is as solid as the day i bought it after 186,000 miles of many diferent drivers each trying to kill it. Oh, that reminds me one guy did kill the tranny, he drove it 140 miles in 2nd gear, its and auto, at 80mpg or there abouts. When he parked it he did mention that it was smoking and leaking tranny fluid. If your on the road lots you will come to appreciate the feel of the Ford over the competition, they just feel better. There is no doubt that power wise the dmax and cummins are easier to make hp with but that may change now there is a common rail psd.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts