Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some oil cooler questions. I have a 2005 F-350 crew cab with an SCT programmer, Edge insight screen,EGR Delete, fuel spring update, 4" inch turbo back exhaust. I recently drove my truck to colorado from Iowa pulling a 24' enclosed trailer and my oil temperature was averaging 220-233..i'd hit the higher temp on the real steep grades..my coolant temp was anywhere from 180 to 201, but as soon as i'd unhook the trailer the temp would drop to 178 for coolant and around 200 for oil..which is what it normally runs at..what is too hot for the oil temp? How hard is the oil cooler to change or is there any other options to get that oil temp down?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the trailer weighed about 2400 empty..and when im running my truck with no trailer unloaded my EGT's run anywhere from 500-700 depending on how fast im going..and my oil temp never usually gets over 200 and my coolant usually stays below 180

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm doing my oil cooler right now. My oil temps on mine I've seen as high as 240 degrees towing a car and dolly. Without a load on my engine my oil cooler will run about 210 degrees. I got this Superchips 1855 tuner about 2 months ago, and it give me an option to monitor various different things on my vehicle. This is how I found out my oil cooler was plugged. I've never seen my engine run more than 183 degrees on my scan guage. Sounds like your going to need a cooler in the future. The only major PIA thing when doing the oil cooler is removing the turbo. Make sure you do an EGR Delete if you haven't done one yet.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Yep your oil cooler is toast. My truck runs ect188 and oil temp never goes over 190. Unless towing. That's how it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1 - 6 of 6 Posts