Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I was doing 40mph and when I went to go around the car in front of me, I pressed the accelerator and I was still doing 40mph. Felt like I was getting no response as I kept pressing the pedal and I actually began slowing down with the foot on the gas. Then she came to, sputtered a bit and I pulled over. I put her in park and pressed the accelerator several times. I smelled something like a burn smell but couldn't see smoke as it was still dark. I let her idle for 5 minutes and then drove 8 miles to the office with no problems.

Two months ago, I had an issue that made me feel like my foot slipped off the gas (felt an immediate jolt stop and then kicked back in). I had it serviced and they said they found the sensor (not sure which one) was melted. She was fine until today.

Any takers on this problem? Much thanks!!!!!:confused:

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)? Maybe? That is the first sensor that comes to mind that could malfunction and "burn". Maybe a short somewhere the is toasting it, giving faulty response then eventual failure.

Have you had any aftermarket wiring or mods done in/under the drivers side dash?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Mine does that when it's time for new fuel filters. I call the lack of power my filter minder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response Eric. I thought the letter "E" was in the three-letters before the word "sensor"? Does that ring a bell? No, I have not had any aftermarket anything done. I bought the truck with 40,000 miles and she has wiring for 5th Wheel and Goosneck hookups.

I am leaning towards this being an "electrical" issue more than a mechanical/parts issue.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Justin,
Thanks for the response! I just had my fuel filters replaced two months ago, so that may not be it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If it's not the TPS sensor it may be the EGR valve. Mine blew smoke and fell on it's face while accelerating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The EGR Valve is what I have been reading on past postings as contributing to my same issue and I am beginning to agree with this. Thanks Audrey!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Just have about two cans of carb cleaner, a tooth brush, and a tig welder ready. (TIG welder Optional)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never leave home without my toothbrush. I think I will tackle the EGR Valve and see if that fixes my problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I never leave home without my toothbrush. I think I will tackle the EGR Valve and see if that fixes my problem. Thanks!
If your truck is an 03-04, you could tig weld the EGR valve and un-plug it from the harness without throwing a code. That's an easy way to remedy the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts