Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy im at a loss. I have an 06 6.0 king ranch with 184xxx miles. It started fine this morning so i could move it but when i went out to start it again before i left for work it wouldn't start. It cranked fine as usual but just wouldnt start. this has happened to me before but it only seems to do it when its raining. I was just wondering if anybody has had something similar happen or had any ideas.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The guys on here will tell you that even a cheap monitoring system is crucial to determine 6.0 problems. knowing some additional info would be a huge help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i have a mini maxx and i have no codes and all vitals are reading good. i went out this morning and it started so idk what causes it. i have good fuel and oil pressure. it did this same stuff about a month ago. i had bought the truck not to long ago but its not the first 6.0 iv had so i know the main things to look for but everything seems to be fine. it has a hard time starting untill its warm but then runs fine which makes me think the ficm might be going. the guy i bought the truck from took it and had the oil and fuel filters changed but they only changed the top filter but not the bottom so after i changed it, it ran alot better. when it finally stops raining im gonna pull the bottom filter again and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Can your mini maxx give you the ficm volts? Does the truck even turn over?
I would start out by checking your batt cable's real good. As in pull them off, wire brush the. and then reinstall with some of that cable seal anti corrosion paint. I don't know if that's gonna fix anything but at least you could rule that section out.
You said it has a hard time starting until its warm. Check your ficm volts. If at anytime they drop below 46 then ya your ficm has seen better days.

Reactions: Darezombie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol thanks kinnioj that's good input. Yah it rolls over fine but just won't fire. It dose it intermitadly (I.e. It started this morning as it normally would.) and no the mini maxx has a narrow monitoring range so it dose the basics such as icp and temps as well as standard battery voltage. I'm looking into getting a scangaugeII for the long haul because I'd hate to have to keep tering into things relatively blindly. I'm gonna test the ficm this weekend if I can because that was the main problem on my last 6.0. Once again thanks guys I apreciate the help. :):thumb:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
don't waste your money on a SGII. get the torque app. its cheap and works great.

that being said, how cold is it? does it smoke at all? what about after it actually does start? if your glow plugs aren't working, you're gonna have a hard time starting for sure. KY isn't always the warmest place on earth this time of year. if its raining, it may just be too cold to start.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Lol thanks kinnioj that's good input. Yah it rolls over fine but just won't fire. It dose it intermitadly (I.e. It started this morning as it normally would.) and no the mini maxx has a narrow monitoring range so it dose the basics such as icp and temps as well as standard battery voltage. I'm looking into getting a scangaugeII for the long haul because I'd hate to have to keep tering into things relatively blindly. I'm gonna test the ficm this weekend if I can because that was the main problem on my last 6.0. Once again thanks guys I apreciate the help. :):thumb:
What part of south central Kentucky are you from?

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
You can also look on you tube for how to test ficm volts video. If you have a simple volt meter it will show you how.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
E99F350Stroker i live in taylor co. and work in marion co. so im only about an hour away from where your at. Anyway i know its not the glow plugs and i know how to check voltage on the ficm. the truck i had prior to this one was an 05 6.0 and iv been down that road lol. i ended up changing the glow plugs, timer, and harnesses before i finally tested the ficm and it was the problem.:hehe: Teachagmech its 50s - 70s right now and back a few weeks we had a good amount of snow and she'd start right up. also no it doesn't smoke at all. i dont know if its related for sure but when its running it takes for ever to get to full temp and it misses until its around 160-175 on the oil side. i plan to take it to someone if i don't figure something out soon. iv learned to be patient with the 6.0 and im learning more and more from this site and all of yall. :liar::icon_ford::thumb:

·
Registered
382 Posts
E99F350Stroker i live in taylor co. and work in marion co. so im only about an hour away from where your at. Anyway i know its not the glow plugs and i know how to check voltage on the ficm. the truck i had prior to this one was an 05 6.0 and iv been down that road lol. i ended up changing the glow plugs, timer, and harnesses before i finally tested the ficm and it was the problem.:hehe: Teachagmech its 50s - 70s right now and back a few weeks we had a good amount of snow and she'd start right up. also no it doesn't smoke at all. i dont know if its related for sure but when its running it takes for ever to get to full temp and it misses until its around 160-175 on the oil side. i plan to take it to someone if i don't figure something out soon. iv learned to be patient with the 6.0 and im learning more and more from this site and all of yall. :liar::icon_ford::thumb:
Sweet its always nice to have another Kentuckian! I have an AE scanner that does pretty much any diagnostic test that you need. You might consider that before taking it somewhere.
Also if you do take it some where I would recommend Cohee Automotive here in Mercer County. The mechanic's name is Chris Cohee and he is an excellent mechanic for 7.3s and 6.0s.

Reactions: Darezombie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked up that AE scanner and ohhh buddy... lol its high but for what it will do its soooooooo worth the money. from what iv gathered is if the ecm sees it youll see it and that would take me a loooooonnnnngggggg way.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I looked up that AE scanner and ohhh buddy... lol its high but for what it will do its soooooooo worth the money. from what iv gathered is if the ecm sees it youll see it and that would take me a loooooonnnnngggggg way.
Yes it's expensive, and I don't know which package you looked at, but the Ford bundle is what I got. The Ford bundle was around 360 from riffraff with free shipping. It works on basically every Ford vehicle with an OBDII port. The OBDII port is what's standard on every vehicle from 1996 (94.5 powerstroke is an exception) to the brand new vehicles. I don't see what I ever did without it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh man i can understand lol. thats the same package i looked at and i price checked alil and it runs the same everywhere iv looked. plus they have free shiping so im gonna order it in a few weeks. they run a clean operation on the diagnostic side for sure. too bad im the only one with a ford arround here. :hehe: anyway when it comes time and its particularly useful ill probably get the gm package. im glad you told me about it thanks. owning a 6.0 its gonna be particularly useful i feel.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Most of my family runs GMC so ill probably at least get the GMC bundle in the near future, possibly Chrysler too. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will do man. still haven't really learned anything about my problem tho lol. oh well all in do time i suppose. im thinking stiction is part of the missing issue but as far as the no start scenario i have no clue.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
You mentioned filters being changed and that you are going to do the other one. Make sure that all the filters are Ford OEM. Some trucks will drive people crazy with aftermarket fuel filters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts