Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K here's the issue, my truck ran just fine all day Friday. I go to start it yesterday and it won't. Rolled over and showed signs of wanting to but it just wouldn't. Pulled it in the shop and pulled the valve covers off to check the HP oil line o-rings and those check out fine. So this morning just for the heck of it, pulled the lid off the fuel filter housing to see if i had fuel and the was plenty of it and it had pressure on it from me trying to start it. Just wondering what's going on here. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts
Without a scanner its hard to say

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Without a scanner its hard to say
Without a good scanner that can datastream and run koeo and koer tests its hard to say!:icon_ford:

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
same thing is happing to me right now ran fine went out the next day to start it and turns over but no fire i took the fuel line off the passenger side head its pumpin fuel and when i try and crank it the oil pressure goes normal so i dont know what else to do the dealership want $160 to hook it up and tell me whats wrong is there a scan tool i can buy that aint to expensive that will work on this thing? im scared the FICM went bad but i dont know how to find out without payin 160

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
same thing is happing to me right now ran fine went out the next day to start it and turns over but no fire i took the fuel line off the passenger side head its pumpin fuel and when i try and crank it the oil pressure goes normal so i dont know what else to do the dealership want $160 to hook it up and tell me whats wrong is there a scan tool i can buy that aint to expensive that will work on this thing? im scared the FICM went bad but i dont know how to find out without payin 160
There just isn't a way to determine conclusively what is causing your engine not to start, without either biting the bullet to pay the diagnostic fee at either a dealership or a GOOD independent shop (familiar with 6.0L diesels). Failing this, you are only going to guess at what the cause is (an expensive one at that). FYI, if in fact it IS the FICM that has failed, you WILL need to have it programmed with Ford's IDS scan tool, once a new one is installed. But again, if all the basics have been checked and fail to reveal any obvious issues, scanning it for codes and/or monitoring live data is the next step. For what it's worth, the price of such a scan tool that can read live data and perform most of the functions of Ford's IDS scan tool will probably cost far more than the diagnostic fee.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
There just isn't a way to determine conclusively what is causing your engine not to start, without either biting the bullet to pay the diagnostic fee at either a dealership or a GOOD independent shop (familiar with 6.0L diesels). Failing this, you are only going to guess at what the cause is (an expensive one at that). FYI, if in fact it IS the FICM that has failed, you WILL need to have it programmed with Ford's IDS scan tool, once a new one is installed. But again, if all the basics have been checked and fail to reveal any obvious issues, scanning it for codes and/or monitoring live data is the next step. For what it's worth, the price of such a scan tool that can read live data and perform most of the functions of Ford's IDS scan tool will probably cost far more than the diagnostic fee.
Well put. :thumb:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well got my truck to the dealer yesterday and it ended up being the FICM. Pulled the codes and every injector code possible and glow plug codes. Just got my truck back today and it runs great and my tunes still work!!!!:icon_ford::woot:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts