Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 6.0 egr delete head studs live wire ts tuner

I've been running into high pressure oil system issues every other week for quite some time now.

(Hot or cold) - Starts out with a hard start that gets worse until it's a no start usually results in me replacing the icp. In the past I'd unplug the icp so that I'm able to drive home. Now it's a no start when the icp is unplugged.

I've replaced the oil cooler in the past due to high oil Temps (screen was covered with fibrous material like paper filter) oil Temp is perfect now, hpop has about 10k miles on it, new icp also icp pigtail ,ipr has roughly 5k on it (I just double checked the screen), new injector harness, ran through the engine harnes found no likely threats, just replaced the ficm with a used but, know to work one.

With all that said, the batteries with a full charge (12-13v) will die while cranking. I'll get a steady 48v ficm and an icp psi of no more than 350.
The only way it'll start with perfect icp pressure is with a jump start. Battery voltage sticking around 12

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Sounds to me like the HPOP went out (if you changed our FICM and ICP and only getting 350 on the ICP). The paper fibers in your oil could be from your filter. Are you using motor craft filters?

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
If it only builds to 350 when cranking on its own power but will build to 500+ when you jump it, sounds like weak batts to me. What cranking RPM do you see with your batts vs the jump start?

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
If it only builds to 350 when cranking on its own power but will build to 500+ when you jump it, sounds like weak batts to me. What cranking RPM do you see with your batts vs the jump start?

Yep I didn't think about that. How old are your batteries?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Make sure your bats are good first. It should be able to crank a long time before the bats start to get weak. Are you getting any codes?

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
It does my heart good to see all of us 04 guys sticking together in the same thread! It's probably the only place I can say 2004 was the best year for the 6.0 and not get laughed at!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
It does my heart good to see all of us 04 guys sticking together in the same thread! It's probably the only place I can say 2004 was the best year for the 6.0 and not get laughed at!

Amen to that! Wait 2004 wasn't the best year for the 6.0? That's news to me!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm running no higher than 261 rpm on a jump. It won't even start now. I run all ford recommend product for all services on this truck. I've got plenty of oil as well. Would the ipr go bad and cause a false reading like that?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to go grab some new batteries seeing how these ones look a little older and I'll let you guys know the outcome. If that doesn't change a thing, this coming Saturday I'll do further inspection of the hpop and ipr with the turbo out thanks everyone

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
Sounds like you know the drill. Check for base oil pressure on the dash, then check ICP and IPR. Best check ICPv too so you can be confident in your sensor. If IPR is commanded to 85% then look for leaks/hpop issues. Is your truck an early 04? Their hpop's don't have the best reputation. Good Luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yep after new bats, check your icp and ipr reading while cranking. Also, unplug your icp sensor and see if it starts. The icp key on engine off should read around .24 volts. Before you tear into anything, do a pressure test if your ipr and icp indicate a leak.

I love my 2004. I prefer the body style and interior much better. But that's just me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well batteries didnt work 100%. Started up just fine once I dropped the new batteries in it sat for about 24 hours after work started right up. Drove home roughly 20 minutes and felt what seems like the trans slipping (usually happens when I return to stock tunes) got home and now it won't start. This is what I'm reading while cranking. I do have oil pressure from according to the dash gauge so the low oil pressure pump works

Attachments

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
153 psi isn't gonna get it done. IPR at 84% means the hpop isn't making oil pressure or there's a leak somewhere. Sounds like an air test is in order.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been having a noticeable oil leak from the back of the motor but I couldn't see anything from the top of the motor (hpop) so I assumed it was the rear main seal. It's looks like nothing harmful. Would this be something to look in to

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
I wouldn't think it'd be your issue unless it's just gushing out but it sounds like it's not. Try starting again after the oil has cooled to match the outdoor temp. If it fires up then I'd definitely look for an internal leak.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll fire it up in a few. What are some of the more common internal leaks? I'm might not have mentioned, I do have slightly larger injectors so they have been touched at one point. Also it's the later 04 where the icp is located on the valve cover

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let the motor cool down as much as I could for now, oil Temp is 144° no start but it built 275 psi which is better than an hour ago. My guess is tomorrow morning it'll crank right up I'll take a look depending on the weather .

·
Premium Member
4,444 Posts
Once running, get the eot to at least 190. Do at least a 5 second wot pass. Does ipr hit 85% during wot?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pressure test is the only way to pinpoint and fix all HPO leaks. Looks like you're at that point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This morning Started right up like expected. Luckily I had a compression tester with the correct adapter for a leak test, so I ran 90psi through it (I didn't supply any voltage to the ipr) listening through a funnel I heard a little bit of an air leak on both valve covers.very quiet leak, I had to put my ear up to the funnel and block out outside noise to hear anything

1 - 20 of 43 Posts