Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Administrator
33,334 Posts
I never said "you said"
my post was for thread readers to get the background info
KDD Jared does not post here much anymore because he is busy, and he does not want to walk the fine on non vendor promotion ,, KC Turbo sells KDD and is a vendor so Charlie usually speaks for KDD

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
Fair enough, the problems of non-face-to-face communication.

I wasn't trying to make the case that everyone should avoid the ICON heads. I don't need heads, but I like the things he has done with these. Before his launch, if you look around at other locations, I highlighted the changes to the 20mm and 6.4L heads. I think many have noted those changes, but maybe not as vocal as I've been. Perhaps a little more attention because I've been involved in platform progression or wishful thinking on my part. The industry improves on new designs from what they learned from the older design—a Captain Obvious statement.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I never said "you said"
my post was for thread readers to get the background info
KDD Jared does not post here much anymore because he is busy, and he does not want to walk the fine on non vendor promotion ,, KC Turbo sells KDD and is a vendor so Charlie usually speaks for KDD
So why don't we get Jared signed on up to solve that problem? Seems like the best solution to me. 😁

Reactions: ZMANN and Hydro

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
I think the busy issue has been the main all along.

·
Administrator
33,334 Posts
So why don't we get Jared signed on up t
I don't think KDD would benefit any return over investment , specially when he has KC Turbos as his distributor and voice on here ( if you will)

nor would we benefit if their sales did increase with sponsorship , we already have to wait for heads LOL

·
Registered
271 Posts
he has my confidence in this department and this is the reason I am going to use the KDD head options ( just deciding if AL or iron )
Please share your decision. I am still undecided and would like to order heads the next few days.

·
Administrator
33,334 Posts
stay tuned But I think I will go iron since I only use this to tow and I will do a cab off so lifting heads in place won't be a challenge due to weight like a cab on the job.
then again if Al ships faster and is only 5-600 more right now I might go Al

·
Administrator
33,334 Posts
do you expect shipping to be cheaper for you with Aluminum ?
or not enough to play into it ?

·
Registered
271 Posts
do you expect shipping to be cheaper for you with Aluminum ?
or not enough to play into it ?
The weight is not important. I need a pallet of parts for a rebuild. I don't think anyone in Germany drives the ICONs yet. I need heads for motors for heavy pull work, the motors have to work here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
This isn’t GM decades ago, we have all of gm’ as (and others failed experiments to learn from), not to mention way better analysis and engineering capacity…the foundry we work with collaborates and designs OE castings and we have a firm understanding of expansion rates. Plus we have hundreds of other heads out there running great, the only time we see issues with injector clamp sealing is when they’re torqued wrong or when the wrong clamp is used. While it is technically possible there’s some small defect somewhere that could cause this, it’s not really plausible that it would make it through the QC at the foundry, and our own internal QC, and we’re working with the customer to help identify the problem, but it’s not simply because these are made from aluminum, if that were the case there would be a 100% failure rate, which hasn’t been the case.
For the record, that's exactly why I'm glad I went with kdd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
OK, quick update. I just got home from ND and went straight to the truck to pull codes. Nothing pertinent so I thought about trying to fire it up and move it into the driveway since the recker dropped it all funky. Darn thing fired right up. No miss, nothing. Ive already got a complete Motorcraft injector seal kit here is how sure I was that it was another injector seal. Now, I can't imagine that being the case. Also, I in no way want to cast shade on KDD on this deal. I went with their ICONS without any concern as they're one of the leading aftermarket company's for powerstrokes. I knew that anything that could possibly be off, they would have an answer for. Going to try to drive it to work tomorrow and e what happens. Probably do a bubble test after work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
It got cold here the few days before this incident and the truck sat and cold soaked. Weather cycling between 18 and 30 f. The night it died on the ground it was 14. Just added info for everyone. It's never jelled on me, but it's also always being driven during those cold spells. Southern Oklahoma for reference.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Using ForScan to look for codes?
...and using it to monitor as you drive to work?

Fuel pressure gauge
Oil pressure gauge
and a monitor should be on every 6.0 and 7.3

We would see a lot less of those "it died and I don't know why"

Reactions: Hartwig

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Using ForScan to look for codes?
...and using it to monitor as you drive to work?

Fuel pressure gauge
Oil pressure gauge
and a monitor should be on every 6.0 and 7.3

We would see a lot less of those "it died and I don't know why"
SCT Livewire. I regrettably haven't got it set up for yet to read fuel pressure but it's on the list.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
stay tuned But I think I will go iron since I only use this to tow and I will do a cab off so lifting heads in place won't be a challenge due to weight like a cab on the job.
then again if Al ships faster and is only 5-600 more right now I might go Al
Just an FYI on timing right now, I ordered a set of the icon heads with 100psi valve springs on black Friday. Still waiting for them to ship. Shipping was free. The wait isn't a big deal as I'm not in a huge rush to get to work on the truck. I had a set of the old AL heads from KDD I bought last black Friday along with a ton of other stuff, but a buddy of mine needed them to get a truck back on the road. I wanted these instead so I was happy to postpone my build and wait to get these. It has gave me time to buy more stuff too. It's been soo long in the making that all I'm keeping from my original engine is block and crank now.

On the injector side of things, only time I've had issues is if debris got in the hole and obviously kept things from sealing. Here's to hoping it was a fluke and they all don't fail. If I lost one more I'd pull them all and reseal them.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I've got the seal kit waiting but so far so good. This last break down was misdiagnosed by me. Turns out it had to be jelled fuel or ice in a fuel line.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Without a doubt KDD is the best aftermarket head producer for 6.0 I have two engines in the works one KDD iron coming up soon and next year I will be getting an aluminum icon for my personal 6.0 powered grand national build.
I also have personal experience with southeast cylinder in Florida. John lantry's work has never let me down he only rebuilds international cores i use them for standard power applications and his write ups on his site demonstrate he understands the issues as well. I haven't been able to get a hold of the guy for over a year tho idk if he died tbh..

Ok now that i got that out of the way if you're dumping seals this often I'm 99% sure the threads on your tie downs or the threads in the Icons are screwed and not compressing the copper crush washer. Ant @ super duty service only uses new hold downs on every rebuild or injector change for this reason (he told me personally)
Did you not use a torque wrench? you want them exactly at 28 ft-lbs there's really no room for screwin around on this value

61 - 79 of 79 Posts