Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
That was published before Ford initiated the "service" 20mm heads.

With my "service" 20mm, I have to use the 18mm clamps. If they had been sold in the Facebook/eBay market, using the post '05 parts would not work. I am just making people aware. And it's a machining change; the frigging parts numbers on the head casting are the same.

Font Document Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Software

Reactions: Hydro and bismic

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
The only times we ever see issues with copper washers or injector seals typically is when the injectors weren’t torqued properly or when the wrong hold downs are used, It may have been asked here in the comments but what are you torquing the injectors to? And if it’s 18mm (05) it should be a t40 injector clamp. If by chance the heads have been changed at some time in the past it may have had 20mm heads on it, with t45 hold downs which don’t work with 18mm heads (ours or factory).

I got your email, and look forward to your reply, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Or the thermal expansion of the aluminum is unloading the pressure on the injectors. There's a lot of distance (aluminum) between the bottom of the injector cup and the injector hold-down clamp. Aluminum head design at the OE level is never a direct swap for iron, and there had been some head fastener failures when it was done. Think GM decades ago. I've said before (FTE) I would never use aftermarket aluminum heads on this engine.

I hope it's not that and something simple.

Pick any aluminum alloy.

View attachment 780849
This isn’t GM decades ago, we have all of gm’ as (and others failed experiments to learn from), not to mention way better analysis and engineering capacity…the foundry we work with collaborates and designs OE castings and we have a firm understanding of expansion rates. Plus we have hundreds of other heads out there running great, the only time we see issues with injector clamp sealing is when they’re torqued wrong or when the wrong clamp is used. While it is technically possible there’s some small defect somewhere that could cause this, it’s not really plausible that it would make it through the QC at the foundry, and our own internal QC, and we’re working with the customer to help identify the problem, but it’s not simply because these are made from aluminum, if that were the case there would be a 100% failure rate, which hasn’t been the case.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Jack, which heads and gaskets would you use? I want to order heads soon, but I'm not sure which ones to order yet. Supposedly the ICON heads from KDD are designed differently and put more pressure on the block.
How are the o-ringed heads machined/lapped during a headgasket job? Are the O-rings available as a spare part?
We recommend using the Mahle or Ford gaskets, Felpro is good too, the o-rings are a high carbon stainless steel wire that’s very hard and doesn’t ever need to be replaced. If in the event the head has to come back off, you can typically scotch brite the deck surface and reinstall, no machining is typically required unless something else bad happened (severely overheated, bad injector/melted piston, etc. I can’t speak for all o-rings, I’ve seen some that were very soft material that I wouldn’t run, but ours is a very hard stainless wire.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
This isn’t a sales pitch, just to clarify a few questions or concerns raised in this post…so we partnered with a world class foundry who are experts in the design, tooling/mould, pouring, etc. There’s a lot that goes into properly executing the casting to make it become the right shape, no air pockets, etc…just because a head (or block or whatever) is a good design doesn’t mean it’s a ‘castable’ design. Then, there’s the actual final design itself, and everything that goes into making a final product that lasts or performs well…the specific grade of metal used, the heat treat, the shape and location of the water jackets, especially in relation to the valves/seats, the rigidity of the casting overall, not to mention size and shape of the ports and how that effects actual engine performance, power, etc. I’m not here to sell anything, we have lots of details on our website, and has been chronicled in engine builder magazine and the diesel podcast if you’re interested in a deep dive…but specifically I wanted to address concerns of aluminum vs iron, and/or water jackets and expansion. In a nutshell our old aluminum heads started off as a partnership with a company who’s name rhymes with “Blomaxx”, that relationship went very south…ultimately we couldn’t trust our partner and went to the foundry directly…but had multiple reasons we wanted a clean slate, to start fresh with our own design, aka the ICON series. One big reasons was that we didn’t want to keep sending US dollars to China, the ICONS are 100% USA made, which is part of the reason they have a shorter lead time than our iron heads.

Someone commented that aluminum as a ‘direct replacement’ would be a disaster because of expansion rates or whatever, which I would challenge by saying that the ICON series heads not only aren’t a ‘direct replacement’, and that design is critical when considering material changes. If we just made the iron heads out of aluminum (similar to the ‘blomaxx’ heads, with very few design changes), there could be some concerns…however these heads have a lot of design considerations from the ground up to take into account the aluminum construction. For example, dual layer water jackets (nearly 4x the surface area) compared to factory 6.0 heads, this not only helps keep water flow to all cylinders more even (eliminating the need for ‘coolant recirculating kits’) but also allows for greater cooling capacity regarding heat rejection from deck, seats and guides, etc. also, the water jacket has 360 degrees of water around all valve seats, which other aluminum heads do not, which is really critical to keeping valves/seats/guides happy over the long haul. In addition to all that you can see in the attached picture the gussets and trusses we added around the head bolt holes to spread the clamping load of the head bolts/studs over a greater area. There’s also tons of extra braces and ribbing on the valve spring side as well, visible from the outside.

While design is critical, ultimately that’s just CAD modeling and numbers on paper, computer simulations, etc…what really matters is real world results. We’ve been testing these in various different ways for about a year, in addition to the year of design and engineering work in close collaboration with the foundry and Mast Motorsports (known for their top shelf LS heads…and less known for a lot of the design and engineering work they do for OEM’s such as Navistar and the US military).

Other than a couple pre-production prototypes where we made a couple more changes, I can proudly report we’ve had no issues in our months of beta testing, lab testing, and field testing…and since we’ve been fulfilling orders for months now, no issues. That’s not to say it’s impossible the OP got a defect, but it is very unlikely to have made it past the foundry’s QC, and our own…either way, we’re working with the customer to help him find the issue causing his problems. Let me know if you guys have questions, I’m happy to try to provide any technical answers or anything, but for any sales questions I’d direct you to KC turbos as I believe they are a supporting vendor here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
This isn’t a sales pitch, just to clarify a few questions or concerns raised in this post…so we partnered with a world class foundry who are experts in the design, tooling/mould, pouring, etc. There’s a lot that goes into properly executing the casting to make it become the right shape, no air pockets, etc…just because a head (or block or whatever) is a good design doesn’t mean it’s a ‘castable’ design. Then, there’s the actual final design itself, and everything that goes into making a final product that lasts or performs well…the specific grade of metal used, the heat treat, the shape and location of the water jackets, especially in relation to the valves/seats, the rigidity of the casting overall, not to mention size and shape of the ports and how that effects actual engine performance, power, etc. I’m not here to sell anything, we have lots of details on our website, and has been chronicled in engine builder magazine and the diesel podcast if you’re interested in a deep dive…but specifically I wanted to address concerns of aluminum vs iron, and/or water jackets and expansion. In a nutshell our old aluminum heads started off as a partnership with a company who’s name rhymes with “Blomaxx”, that relationship went very south…ultimately we couldn’t trust our partner and went to the foundry directly…but had multiple reasons we wanted a clean slate, to start fresh with our own design, aka the ICON series. One big reasons was that we didn’t want to keep sending US dollars to China, the ICONS are 100% USA made, which is part of the reason they have a shorter lead time than our iron heads.

Someone commented that aluminum as a ‘direct replacement’ would be a disaster because of expansion rates or whatever, which I would challenge by saying that the ICON series heads not only aren’t a ‘direct replacement’, and that design is critical when considering material changes. If we just made the iron heads out of aluminum (similar to the ‘blomaxx’ heads, with very few design changes), there could be some concerns…however these heads have a lot of design considerations from the ground up to take into account the aluminum construction. For example, dual layer water jackets (nearly 4x the surface area) compared to factory 6.0 heads, this not only helps keep water flow to all cylinders more even (eliminating the need for ‘coolant recirculating kits’) but also allows for greater cooling capacity regarding heat rejection from deck, seats and guides, etc. also, the water jacket has 360 degrees of water around all valve seats, which other aluminum heads do not, which is really critical to keeping valves/seats/guides happy over the long haul. In addition to all that you can see in the attached picture the gussets and trusses we added around the head bolt holes to spread the clamping load of the head bolts/studs over a greater area. There’s also tons of extra braces and ribbing on the valve spring side as well, visible from the outside.

While design is critical, ultimately that’s just CAD modeling and numbers on paper, computer simulations, etc…what really matters is real world results. We’ve been testing these in various different ways for about a year, in addition to the year of design and engineering work in close collaboration with the foundry and Mast Motorsports (known for their top shelf LS heads…and less known for a lot of the design and engineering work they do for OEM’s such as Navistar and the US military).

Other than a couple pre-production prototypes where we made a couple more changes, I can proudly report we’ve had no issues in our months of beta testing, lab testing, and field testing…and since we’ve been fulfilling orders for months now, no issues. That’s not to say it’s impossible the OP got a defect, but it is very unlikely to have made it past the foundry’s QC, and our own…either way, we’re working with the customer to help him find the issue causing his problems. Let me know if you guys have questions, I’m happy to try to provide any technical answers or anything, but for any sales questions I’d direct you to KC turbos as I believe they are a supporting vendor here.
Thanks for another great explanation of things Jared. Appreciate all you do for the community and am confident this will get resolved. I just hope the root cause is posted back up here for us to see and learn from.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hydro and ZMANN

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wewll I have two heads sitting in boxed in the house do to no time to do the build.
The delay getting the heads did not help and now I am into the colf months so any
outdoor or open door work is not happening. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Administrator
33,334 Posts
This isn’t a sales pitch, just to clarify a few questions or concerns raised in this post…
I endorse this statement
I asked Jared to help us understand his product better and asked if he would jump in here
He is crazy busy, but He took the time to interact with us and I for one, really appreciate his explanations

·
Administrator
24,027 Posts
I endorse this statement
I asked Jared to help us understand his product better and asked if he would jump in here
He is crazy busy, but He took the time to interact with us and I for one, really appreciate his explanations
I too hold this line.

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
When I get home to fix it, I'm going to check the distance on all the cups and give them all a good couple wacks with a hammer. That is, unless KDD tells me to do otherwise. My only other question is if the hold downs are correct. I guess if the heads were some how 20mm then my 18mm rocker boxes wouldnt have bolted up.
Don’t “wack them with a hammer” please.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am just waiting for some warmer weather so I can. Between the heavy rain in November and snow on the ground for
Christmas and then right after we got the deep freeze for a while. Now that it thawed out work is ramping back up I
am just going to have to bite the bullet and move some things around so I have room to work.

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
Jared, I do hope the heads are perfect. The 6.0 community deserves to have a better product, and you've incorporated the improvements of the 20mm and 6.4L heads, along with others, it seems. It wasn't until recently, when I paid attention to the 6.4L changes, that the reinforcement of the heads was a logical step in the maturing of the engine platform. I'm surprised more of the Powerstroke community had not recognized that years ago.

I'm also glad to hear the ways you mentioned you have not directly replaced the iron head, incorporating changes for the aluminum, which had been my concern. I've seen that occurring too often in the aftermarket and my earlier career in a different industry, although still automotive, aluminum-carbon fiber adoption in suspension, drivetrain, and engine components.

In my career in the automotive industry, maturing of parts is a regular occurrence throughout the production of the products, sometimes as intense as what is done during the three to five years of product development before launch.

The OE side of the business has the enormous capability of knowledge and testing resources. And yet we all know the adage of "don't buy the first year of production" when it comes to vehicles, which, unfortunately, has some truth to it. Yet the public is not aware of the continuous product improvement (we'd call maturing) undertaken up to about six months before the end of production, which may extend to five or six years before the clamor of something new.

The first year of product launch is intense because you can never contemplate all the variables despite the century of prior testing procedural development or the collaborative efforts within SAE. The first decade of my testing experience was exuberant in the belief we had solid products, the last decade tempered by previous experience of two prior decades. And we had a very good track record compared to our competition.

It doesn't matter if we are talking about products of 50 years ago or recently. The most straightforward comparison is the first generation of the 6.7L with its valve issues, despite not being GM decades ago. It's not like Ford never worked with valves before, didn't have the knowledge or vast testing ability. At a critical point to show the world, we can do better.

I'm not enamored with being a test subject at this stage of the game. Working on machinery and vehicles for more than 50 years, my enthusiasm for adopting the next new thing as it was at first is tempered by my own experiences at this point in life. Hence my comment of waiting before adoption if I have a 6.0L in need at that time. Maybe when I was in my thirties. I do hope the hesitation is unwarranted.

I've learned you don't know what you don't know, using a Yogiish phrase.

·
Administrator
33,334 Posts
KDD is definitely not a case of Johnny come lately

over the years Jared ( Gearhead2012) has shared a lot of info and write ups about the 6.0 heads and machining on the forums
he has my confidence in this department and this is the reason I am going to use the KDD head options ( just deciding if AL or iron )

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
I didn't say he was. Neither are any of the OE vehicle manufacturers that have issues with every product launch.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts