Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been getting 8-9 mpg since 2013. Some of my heavier "crazy" tunes definitely blacken a lot more than others, and with that my mpg went down to 7mpg (~2016). The new tunes from Eric/Matt/Vivian's are definitely running leaner as the black smoke is "offensive", in more states than just here in Commifornia. One can be anonymously turned into the Commifornia CARB for black smoke emitted from the tailpipe. Also adding a little tuning to the FICM also causing more smoke and worse mileage. I have been playing with all this for 7-8 years here and there. The mpg changes are small, but not significant. Archoil oil and fuel additives, and other additives "kind of" help a little, it appears. But a few take-offs with a heavy foot destroys all those "saved" mpgs.

Bottom line, it can be fully tuned, bulletproofed, etc....and you can get (relatively) great mileage....but if you raise it and put big tires on it (40's with 4.56's) and huge injectors......none of it helps when compared with those huge-*** heavy tires; You will get relatively poor mileage. I only drive 10 miles to work, so it takes 1 gallon each way. 60 gallon tank = fill-up once a month or so.

Hey, I had an M38A1 Willy's back in high school, basically a Jeep CJ5, with a built Ford 351 Windsor I built, 4 barrel 650cfm double pumper carb, cam and everything, Ford 4-speed top-loader manual trans, with an 18" lift (axle under spring swap, etc, etc) and full size Ford 9" (in rear) and Dana 44 (in front) on 36" tires with 5.38's. Tires stuck out 12 inches.....it looked like a spider. It was a *****en Jeep. Chrome Headers direct to pipes. It would idle like a race car and the fumes would burn your eyes. It would smoke the tires in all 4 gears.I got 6mpg when fuel was leaded/unleaded was way less than $1/gallon (1980's).

So, getting 8-9 with a 10,000 diesel monster isn't that bad.

Maiden........Sweet. Haven't seen them since 1984's Long Beach Arena in SoCal, when they recorded it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’ve got 37s on 24x14s on 10” lift and I get 11-12 in the city no matter how I drive from granny style to hell on wheels....

Engine mods studded, deleted, kc stage 2 and Warren 175/30 worth every penny in diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's all about how you drive, but you can never trust the numbers on the dash or any electronic program. You have to calculate by actual miles to gallons filled at the pump. I'm pretty amazed at my truck TBH.. I was getting 17 mph in my E350 van on the highway with a 6.0. I thought that was very good..

I drove my truck to TN & back 1,200 miles averaging around 65-70 and got 17 mph in it too. The dash was saying crazy stuff like 22-23mph but doing real math from fill up to fill up then divided by miles it was 17mpg. I don't bother too much trying to figure out my mileage in town but I'd guess around 15mpg but I don't drive like a moron flooring it to every red light just to sit and wait..

Mine is a 05 4wd crew cab short bed with 20" wheels.. I dunno if it's a factory lift or not but it has what looks like a 2" lift as well. It's deleted, just studded it, new heads and has 4" exhaust out to the back with no cat or muffler also no tunes I don't have a tuner yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 03 rides on stock 16 in rims with 315's, AFE cold air intake, AFE exhaust and Superchips tuner set to Mileage plus. I drive pretty consistent mileage, I average 16.5 to 17 mpg if i dont put my foot in it. Since switching to Triax ESP Fleet Supreme 15w40 3 fill ups has been 18 to best 18.9 mpg.

Towing my 32ft Seacraft I get 12 to 13 mpg

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I can't count the number of times that I've been refueling and someone asks me about my mpg, I'm sure most others on here have had the same conversations. I always tell them I don't have a clue to the mileage, that everything associated with these trucks is expensive and mpg just doesn't seem all that important. I'm sure I must have checked back in the Eighties with the 454 and 460 gassers and the shock probably cured me! In fact as I write this I do remember pulling a horse trailer across the southern New Mexico flat lands and getting under 6 mpg with my Chev 3500 with the 454. Those were the days...pulling hills with the temp needle buried in the red...lol. Those big blocks were honest workhorses, they gave you everything they had and then some.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts