Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering others mpg’s? My edge monitor says my average is 10-12. Truck is deleted but not sure on tune. I’ve heard people talk about looney tune getting 18-22 but with 37’s and 22-14 wheels I doubt it. My truck mpg’s is at 10.6. 😢 Any advice would help

·
Registered
800 Posts
Lots of people i like to claim crazy MPG numbers. They fit the lifted truck stereo type :)

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Just wondering others mpg’s? My edge monitor says my average is 10-12. Truck is deleted but not sure on tune. I’ve heard people talk about looney tune getting 18-22 but with 37’s and 22-14 wheels I doubt it. My truck mpg’s is at 10.6. 😢 Any advice would help
Edge mpg doesn't work on numerous trucks. PLus with larger tires you need to calculate the difference and multiply your odom to get the corrected distance. with 37s you are driving farther than your odom is recording.

my current situation: truck came with 265/75r16s and I am using 285/75r16s. I now have to multiple my odometer by 1.038 You can google tire size comparison to find the size difference and multiply it. so when I drive 280 miles I actually drove 290.64 miles. Not a big difference for me but for 37s.... my tire is 3.8% bigger than stock.

quick possible example for you.

lets say you have 275/70r18 stock and a 37.13.5r18 new that's 11.4% bigger so you multiple that to your odometer and find how far you really drove. my guess is 14-15ish. its what I got on my 04 and 06 f350s with 35-40in tires etc. I saw zero difference going to a 35 I was young and mad lol.

·
Administrator
21,908 Posts
22x14 and you are worried about MPGs?

I'd say go for the smiles per gallon and drive on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought the truck with all the upgrades. 22-14 would not have been my choice but looks awesome. I drive a lot of highway miles and was just wondering if I could make some improvements. Archoil fuel additive work?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I get, crap I done forgot what I get?

well I know I get better at 60mph vs going 70mpg in my 6.0

I just did a trip in my 6.7 Monday to Nashville Tennessee to see Iron Maiden, got 18.2 there and back was 18.5. must been the wind in my back lol

Side note for Down Town Bridge arena Nashville Tennessee, not set up for SuperDutys'

·
Registered
526 Posts
Bought the truck with all the upgrades. 22-14 would not have been my choice but looks awesome. I drive a lot of highway miles and was just wondering if I could make some improvements. Archoil fuel additive work?
Bub I had a Ford Ranger 3.0 that got 14mpg, :grin:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Edge mpg doesn't work on numerous trucks. PLus with larger tires you need to calculate the difference and multiply your odom to get the corrected distance. with 37s you are driving farther than your odom is recording.

my current situation: truck came with 265/75r16s and I am using 285/75r16s. I now have to multiple my odometer by 1.038 You can google tire size comparison to find the size difference and multiply it. so when I drive 280 miles I actually drove 290.64 miles. Not a big difference for me but for 37s.... my tire is 3.8% bigger than stock.

quick possible example for you.

lets say you have 275/70r18 stock and a 37.13.5r18 new that's 11.4% bigger so you multiple that to your odometer and find how far you really drove. my guess is 14-15ish. its what I got on my 04 and 06 f350s with 35-40in tires etc. I saw zero difference going to a 35 I was young and mad lol.
Wouldn't the odometer be correct if the speedo is correct via changing the values on the ECU for the larger tires?

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Wouldn't the odometer be correct if the speedo is correct via changing the values on the ECU for the larger tires?
The SCT/ BUllydog, superchips, hypertech, banks, diablo,edge insight and power programmers do not change the speedo/odometer on the 6.0LS. They even have an adjusted speedo pid you can view because of it. You would need to visit ford or someone with IDS/AutoEngoinuety to have your ecm reflashed on a stock ecm then reprogram it with the tuner for power. For some reason 99% of tuners/programmers/chips don't change the speedo/odom on powerstrokes. Something I went crazy with until I found forscan.

if you read here forscan can change the abs module setting to accommodate larger tires. However It worked for me half way... It did correct the speedo/odom but it changed the shifting in a bad way. It made my OD come on way earilier than normal and towing was a nightmare so I live with calculating my odom but I stopped years ago.

heck even superchips and hypertech sell a speedo reprogramming kit for the superduties but they are not power programmers etc.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
10-15 I get if I don't mash the throttle while tuned, granted I am geared to 4.56's and at that tire size (37's on 20's) I am a tad lower than stock.

Towing with a tow tune, I'd be lcuky to get 8-10 when towing a large trailer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok cool, price you pay when you have 37’s and 22’s I guess. Luckily diesel is almost same price as gas in Texas now. Anyone run Archoil products?

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
I will throw in my two bits.

First thing first if you have a engine with issues especially head gaskets leaking mileage suffers. That becomes worse exponentially with other issues on top of another.

I got 11 mpg from Los Angeles to Elk Grove with puffin heads and no tune.

Had engine gone throw added intercooler exhaust turbo fuel pump ECM FICM tuners and other mods to improve the engine performance. Miles per gallon went to 17-18mpg Highway. I do have a gearing advantage with 38” tires the engine lumbers along on the highway at 70mph. Forget rpm @ 70 mph but it’s a lot slower.

If my engine was stock tires would have dropped fuel mileage but I probably added about 150HP and efficiency is way up.
All around mpg is around 14mpg. I’d bet 7-10 puttin around town depending on speed traffic.

Most I ever saw was 21 mpg but I did it going up to mountains and best part of it was back down with gravity Free Bee. EGR delete won’t do anything for mileage.

A SCT Tuner w/ PHP custom tunes helped a lot. I have the Hypertech gizmo and speedo is spot on. I’ve calculated by hand a few times and at worst 1-2 mpg different then the Stork that adds it all up for panel display.

Bottom line if mpg is high on your list: get a Prius.

Reactions: Qholic

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Administrator
21,908 Posts
You do realize you are going to continue catching a hard time.

A fuel additive for MPGs when you are pushing custom wheels and oversized mud tires down the highway, sure, yea do that.

Make sure you swap out the air in your tires for nitrogen too, that will help.

·
Administrator
21,908 Posts
I was just seeing what others are getting out there
Yes, you asked a question that has been debated in many threads, and some have posted actual results and improvements.

That said, maybe this is your first time on a forum so I will say that if you cant take a joke the internet may not be for you.

Also, as part of our rules, dont bypass the profanity filters just to antagonize.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I get, crap I done forgot what I get?

well I know I get better at 60mph vs going 70mpg in my 6.0

I just did a trip in my 6.7 Monday to Nashville Tennessee to see Iron Maiden, got 18.2 there and back was 18.5. must been the wind in my back lol

Side note for Down Town Bridge arena Nashville Tennessee, not set up for SuperDutys'
Iron Maiden? In Nashville?? That's pretty remarkable...

Reactions: mhatlen

·
Registered
7 Posts
My best on 35's is 18, usually around 13-15 in city during summer and 9-11 during winter (warming up). And also depends on how you push the throttle. I run a edge tune in mine last 6 years. Otherwise truck is mostly stock with 4 inch exhaust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have tunes from Quick Tunes, home of the loony tune, with 4" lift and 35/12.5/18's and I average 15 mpg. I'm no granny but I'm no teen either. I get on it here and there, do 70-80 on highway and a fair amt of city. Don't listen to the guys saying they get 17+ in a 6.0. They also have ocean front property in Nevada they'll sell you cheap

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
To kinda answer the additive question, use it for lubricity, water demulsification and cetane boost. I use Stanadyne, HSS Everday Diesel or OptiLube for the above reasons. These trucks are known for a lot of things, good MPG's ain't one of them. That said, I put a 4oz sample bottle of the HSS Everyday on the way home from UCC this spring and I got slightly better MPG than usual, was it the additive or straight shot on the interstate? I dunno

Reactions: mhatlen
1 - 20 of 25 Posts