Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 F250. P2285 code just came up. Truck has recently had new injectors(155/30), standpipes, dummy plugs, oil cooler, icp sensor and pigtail, and ipr and pigtail. The truck runs pretty good other than when coasting when the truck was in overdrive, the engine will miss until the speed comes down to 50 mph. It will also sit at about 900 RPM's until you are almost at a stop and then it will drop to an idle, it never did that before any of the work. The truck also never had this code after all the work was done until today, but still had these symptoms. P2285 is for ICP Circuit Low Voltage. I checked the voltage with key on engine off, as well as engine on and the voltage was good. Any insight for what the code could be for or how to diagnose my symptoms?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
8,775 Posts
Yeah, I probably asked in the past also ..... but hard to keep up with older threads on 4+ forums.

I've probably also asked about the parts installed ..... all OEM parts?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I probably asked in the past also ..... but hard to keep up with older threads on 4+ forums.

I've probably also asked about the parts installed ..... all OEM parts?
All parts are oem except the injectors are Warren and I believe the ipr pigtail is dorman.

·
8,775 Posts
The only suggestion I would have would be to run an uncompensated contribution test with IDS.

I don't know how to react to your electrical code for the ICP sensor. With it running as well as you describe, checking the wires for continuity would be useless IMO. You would have to run a load (high beam headlight for example) on each wire to test it for proper amperage capability.

I guess you could watch the v-reference voltage while it "misses" on coast down....just to see if it becomes somewhat unstable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only suggestion I would have would be to run an uncompensated contribution test with IDS.

I don't know how to react to your electrical code for the ICP sensor. With it running as well as you describe, checking the wires for continuity would be useless IMO. You would have to run a load (high beam headlight for example) on each wire to test it for proper amperage capability.

I guess you could watch the v-reference voltage while it "misses" on coast down....just to see if it becomes somewhat unstable.
Is it really possible to have brand new injectors be bad? Also, is there any sort of tool with IDS that I can use other than bringing it to a mechanic?

·
8,775 Posts
They are re-manufactured injectors, so "yes", one could be acting up.

Some shops do better than others at it. Remind us where you got them.

·
8,775 Posts
Some people have gray market copies of IDS that they have gotten to work, but I think that availability may have "dried up". So yes, taking it to a shop that has the needed hardware and IDS software is the only way I know of.

I would watch the v-reference voltage for awhile first. Also, wait for others to respond. Hopefully someone out there can provide you with more than I can!

Just a comment on WDI - they have a LOT of happy customers. They seem to have GREAT customer service. I just want to point out that they have had some issues as well.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did you reprogram the truck for the larger injectors? You can't add larger injectors without custom tuning.
Edit. Sorry. I remember reading about the bad injector, like me. Look, I know you have been experiencing this from the beginning, your icp should read 1050-1150 at idle as shown on the scanner. If it is not then it is not tuned for the 155/30s. That is how the tuners fool the pcm. You have to check icpv to actually know what icp pressure is. Call the man that knows how to tune the Warren injectors, get some new tunes and problem solved.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you reprogram the truck for the larger injectors? You can't add larger injectors without custom tuning.
Edit. Sorry. I remember reading about the bad injector, like me. Look, I know you have been experiencing this from the beginning, your icp should read 1050-1150 at idle as shown on the scanner. If it is not then it is not tuned for the 155/30s. That is how the tuners fool the pcm. You have to check icpv to actually know what icp pressure is. Call the man that knows how to tune the Warren injectors, get some new tunes and problem solved.
Do you know what that equivalent voltage is? And is that for operating temp?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some people have gray market copies of IDS that they have gotten to work, but I think that availability may have "dried up". So yes, taking it to a shop that has the needed hardware and IDS software is the only way I know of.

I would watch the v-reference voltage for awhile first. Also, wait for others to respond. Hopefully someone out there can provide you with more than I can!

Just a comment on WDI - they have a LOT of happy customers. They seem to have GREAT customer service. I just want to point out that they have had some issues as well.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is meant by v-reference voltage? Is that just the ICP voltage?

·
8,775 Posts
V-reference voltage is the 5 volt (regulated by the PCM) circuit used to feed MANY critical sensors required for engine operation. If you have anything that is negatively affecting this voltage, you can have a variety of problems with engine operation.....including a low voltage in the return signal from the ICP sensor.

·
8,775 Posts
Ford provides this table in the 2006 PC/ED manual.

Ford Values
ICP Voltage'PSI'

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ford provides this table in the 2006 PC/ED manual.

Ford Values
ICP Voltage'PSI'
Thank you, I will post later with my comparison results.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do you know what that equivalent voltage is? And is that for operating temp?
Yes at operating temperature. The voltage will not change much from stock, 1-1.1 so it is actually running 650-750 icp but if you look at icp pressure reading it should say 1050-1150. I'll add a picture of mine at cold start. The programming lies to the pcm. This is tuned for 175/0. Yours should look simular
Alarm clock Measuring instrument Material property Font Gas

1 - 20 of 30 Posts