Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a 2006 F-350 that I am trying to figure out what is wrong with it. When I start it, it starts fine the only thing is the warming light always turns of really quick (1-2 seconds) but its probably cause it is 100+ degrees here. The truck idles fine and fuel pressure is at 65 psi. once it is up to operating temp I get on the road and accelerate heavily and the truck starts to miss and the turbo whistle is more of a fluttering sound. It does it more around 50-70 MPH. I watched the boost gauge and it moves a little but nothing drastic. I am getting anywhere from 22-29 psi boost during acceleration. I have changed the fuel filters, engine oil and filter, air filter, EGR valve and added blue spring to the FPR. I dont know what else to check, I dont think its and injector b/c the truck starts fine. I dont think the turbo is coked up cause I am getting great boost. I dont know what else to check, this morning I was reading a post about the turbo solinoid... curious if that could be the problem. Can I use my Edge Insight to diagnose anything? No codes at this time. I am open to suggestions, please help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone have ideas?
Hi, I have a 2006 F-350 that I am trying to figure out what is wrong with it. When I start it, it starts fine the only thing is the warming light always turns of really quick (1-2 seconds) but its probably cause it is 100+ degrees here. The truck idles fine and fuel pressure is at 65 psi. once it is up to operating temp I get on the road and accelerate heavily and the truck starts to miss and the turbo whistle is more of a fluttering sound. It does it more around 50-70 MPH. I watched the boost gauge and it moves a little but nothing drastic. I am getting anywhere from 22-29 psi boost during acceleration. I have changed the fuel filters, engine oil and filter, air filter, EGR valve and added blue spring to the FPR. I dont know what else to check, I dont think its and injector b/c the truck starts fine. I dont think the turbo is coked up cause I am getting great boost. I dont know what else to check, this morning I was reading a post about the turbo solinoid... curious if that could be the problem. Can I use my Edge Insight to diagnose anything? No codes at this time. I am open to suggestions, please help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am fighting a similiar issue except that mine is even idiling rough in addition to driving. Sometimes its smooth and sometimes it's "missing". I have had this problem for a few months now and have changed all you have as well. I will keep searching for an answer. Your post is the closest to my situation I could find. Good luck. If I find an answer I will repost. 2007 6.0 250

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having a similar issue with the truck cutting out while accelarating up a grade while pulling a load. Same as you, truck doesn't have an issue until about 10 mins after I have started driving. The truck is at operating temp. and around highway speeds does it seem like it cuts out, fluttering, then when I let of there is a noise evident in the air intake. Hopefully someone will give us some direction on this problem.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am having the same problem, same boost is being produced, but cruising speeds Im going along and it's a misfire or hesitation(especially in a low grade climb, unloaded), I have an Edge Insight, no codes, everything seems to be running like it has been, I did a full synth oil change (Rotella T6,before this happened), After this persisted I ran a 3X DieselKleen run, helped for a couple miles, but its back, like I said no codes, all motorcraft filters, all new HPO system.......

·
Registered
413 Posts
@ powerstroke tech, when its cold I get almost a "low" level screech when I let off the throttle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the link to the "Explanation of Turbo Bark", that seems to solve that issue. That is the noise I am hearing when I let off of the accelerator. Now the problem still lies in the cutting out while accelerating more at highway speeds.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for the link to the "Explanation of Turbo Bark", that seems to solve that issue. That is the noise I am hearing when I let off of the accelerator. Now the problem still lies in the cutting out while accelerating more at highway speeds.
same here, I'm sure it doesn't help thats its 100* everyday here either, but I don't do heavy hauling, just a smooth highway trip back home everyday, would the open exhaust cause this, because thats when it started :dunno:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Honestly I have the same issue. Mine at an idle after warm and in drive will start to slightly drop cyls 4 and 5. Inj 4 is new, HPOP is new, fresh oil change. For about the first ten minutes when its cold it runs like a raped ape but then once it starts to warm up it starts to cut out/miss under a load. While watching a power balance the truck will have random misfires and does not stick to one injector. Wasnt able to find a HP oil leak and wiggle tested the harness and found nothing. Thinking I might try the REVX?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Any thoughts on this being transmission related???

·
Registered
312 Posts
is your truck holding good fuel pressure under heavy throttle. sounds very simillar to a problem i had a few months ago. hit a hill with a load and truck would start cutting out worse and worse the harder i pushed it, but if i let out on it it would clear back up.

just trying to give yall some ideas. good luck

·
Registered
505 Posts
Not saying it will solve your problem but I was getting similar conditions in my 03' and I tried a product called Hot Shots Secret and it cleaned my truck up alot. It is an oil additive that was originally designed for over the road trucks but is being used in pickups now too. Its expensive but it works. It helps with injector stiction and cleaning the oil side of the injectors. They also sell a fuel additive and I ran both through my truck and continue running them. I had 3-4 injectors wanting to act a fool and now they are all working normal. Hope this helps someone.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
A few different ideas here.

First off, you need to figure out if it's a low power/hesitation issue or a miss going on. The reason I say that is people will use these terms wrong and they mean 2 totally different things.

Usually a miss will be rather evident in that the truck will shake,miss or smoke. It can do this at different times, RPM, and different engine loads. This will usually be rather evident though, like if you pulled the spark plug wire off of a gas car.

With a low power issue the engine will usually run rather smooth with no bucking/missing. This is usually caused by things like a fuel or boost issue.

If it seems to run great cold, then lose power after it gets up to operating temp then I would be looking at an air management issue. Usually an issue like this is tied into the EGR system. The EGR is not really used until the engine gets up to operating temps. I would try unplugging the EGR and running the truck and see if this helps if your having this issue.

Another thing that can cause low power issues is turbo problems. Just because you're seeing good peak boost pressures doesn't mean the turbo is fine. The VGT fins could be stuck in such a way that it will build good peak boost, but it takes awhile to get to that. Or you can have the fins get stuck where it will build good low boost and you'll take off fine, but once you wind it out power falls off.

The last two things I mentioned are what I would call a "low power, hesitation on acceleration issues".

Now if it starts crappy, white smokes, has low power or is missing when cold, and maybe missing when hot, then that's usually tied into more of an injector issue. This can be caused by many things, the most common being fuel pressure, injector/FICM issues, and possible low compression.

Any way, hope some of this helps. It's just that about 4 different people have posted with about as many different possible issues. Hope this helps you out some.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I unplugged the EGR, ran about 100 miles today and it continued, there is no fluctuation in RPM(either with the Insight or the dash guage) ran 2 double doses of diesel Kleen( the past 2 tanks), the only thing readily available, still no codes,

·
Registered
413 Posts
Most likely getting the dealer's diesel diag for $100 and gonna try some REV-X

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I am having the same problem, same boost is being produced, but cruising speeds Im going along and it's a misfire or hesitation(especially in a low grade climb, unloaded), I have an Edge Insight, no codes, everything seems to be running like it has been, I did a full synth oil change (Rotella T6,before this happened), After this persisted I ran a 3X DieselKleen run, helped for a couple miles, but its back, like I said no codes, all motorcraft filters, all new HPO system.......
What boost pressures are you seeing when this happens, does it jump around at all when it's happening? What RPM is this happening at? Does it go away if you floor it? Or do you have to get it at a certain RPM for you to notice it?

·
Registered
413 Posts
When i have it at WOT, it helps a bit but stll "misses", and mostly when its warm, at cooler temps its only minimal

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too had this same missing problem, almost a studder like jerking. After many scans and tests i have found out that my FICM is bad. Not sure if this will help but it took me awhile to figure out so it could be worth looking at. 04 f250 6spd 154k

·
Registered
413 Posts
What boost pressures are you seeing when this happens, does it jump around at all when it's happening? What RPM is this happening at? Does it go away if you floor it? Or do you have to get it at a certain RPM for you to notice it?
Boost is stable, ICP is stable, FICM voltage is 48V stable, Trans Temp 160, EOT/ECT split is 7*(195*-202*),engine load was flucutaung a bit when it slipped,
EGT 800*-1150* or so..... :dunno:

Also, it happens at around 65MPH as soon as it hits overdrive, leaning towards transmission.....

1 - 20 of 66 Posts