Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I had my fuel gel up on me a few months ago when we had a negative teen cold snap, I’ve noticed that when I put a big load on my truck at lower RPMS (slowly rolling into the throttle when towing something up a decent hill but the transmission stays in overdrive)…I will get what feels like a misfire from an injector. Just a little stumble that I can feel, almost like a cylinder isn’t firing (no fuel) for a split second. I’m not getting any codes that would indicated a bad injector. And the truck runs fantastic…except for that issue when there is a big load on it at lower rpms. If it downshifts and the RPMS’ go up, no issues at all…it makes great power, and no misfire feeling.

I did get several “injector contribution” faults when I had my fuel gel up…..could that have damaged an injector(s)? My next step is to take it to a shop and have them run a test on the motor and see which injectors may be weak.

Does that sound like an injector issue? Or something else? Is it a common issue in the 6.0’s to have injector issues after the fuel gels up in them?

·
Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
72 Posts
Sounds like an injector. You could try some revx archoil or hotshot and see if that fixes it. Is your ficm holding steady at 48v?
I have a similar issue but I'm getting a cylinder contribution code.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Yup - does sound like a possible injector. Any time you run those injectors low on fuel, you run the risk of damage.

I'd have a contribution test done with IDS so they can disable FICM compensation, or you may not be able to see it.

-jokester

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there any aftermarket scanners or tool that I can use to run the contribution test myself, or is the only good option to take it to a shop?

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Quite a few of the aftermarket scanners/programs can run a contribution test, however, the only one that disables the FICM compensation so you can see what each individual injector is actually contributing is IDS.

-jokester

Reactions: Hydro

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it sounds like I'm better off to just swing by the local diesel repair shop and have them scan the truck and run the injector contribution test on the motor.

Reactions: jokester00

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
So it sounds like I'm better off to just swing by the local diesel repair shop and have them scan the truck and run the injector contribution test on the motor.
They will usually have you drop it off the night before so they can do it on a cold start, and then continue to monitor as the truck warms up as well

-jokester

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They will usually have you drop it off the night before so they can do it on a cold start, and then continue to monitor as the truck warms up as well

-jokester
The thing is, the truck runs fine until you are running on the high way at 70-ish MPH in high gear, and really put a heavy load on it and lots of boost. No issues at all with startup (hot or cold), or idle, or any other issues. It only acts up until a big load at lower rpms.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
You have an injector that has low output, thing id fords strategy lets the other injectors over fuel to make up the difference

ForScan and some of the other tools can do an individual cylinder cutout test, but you have to interpret the results -- the ids has a fancy graph
you would locate the bad injector by observing rpm, load, and fuel rate, during a cutout test
the difference will be subtle since the ford strat will try to compensate for the disabled injector
there is a bit of laag between the cutout time and when the system tries to compensate
that is when you look for the differences

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I have Forscan on my laptop now...I need to start messing around with it. I'm assuming I can use the same Bluetooth ELM327 OBD adapter that I use for the TorquePRO app on my truck?

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Yeah, long as your laptop has bluetooth

The BAFX and OBDLink adapters I recommend will fully work with the buss system on these trucks, some of the knock off adapters do not read all the information ... just a FYI

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any specific tests that I need to run using Forscan?

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
A thought on your "miss" problem ...there could be a small compression leak in one of the injector copper washers, these show up as a random miss under load like you describe, as the bubble goes thru the injector.

I think look at RPM, Engine Load, Fuel(pulse width) Desired , Fuel Actual,
then run the cylinder cut out test and watch and listen for anomalies in the readings as you swap between the cylinders -- try to pick out the weak injector

would also be worthwhile to do the click test and listen to the injector noise -- possible a weak click

·
Registered
2005 F-350 XL 6.0
72 Posts
Do you not have any contribution codes after it stumbles? I know you said you had some after letting your fuel gel up. I'm still leaning towards a clogged injector.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I hooked up Forscan to the truck. Scanned for codes...nothing. I did the key on, engine off injecotr "buzz" test...but they all sounded fine, and it passed the test. I thought I could do an injector contribution test with Forscan, but the more I read up on it...that's not an option on the 6.0 powerstrokes.

Yes, when I had the fuel gel up I had all kinds of contribution faults on a bunch of injectors, but after I got some more antigel in the tank and the temps warmed up, I reset the codes...and they never came back. The truck runs like a top...starts great, idles great, no issues at all...EXCPEPT when I'm on the highway in high hear, putting a bunch of load/boost to the motor...then I get the random stumble/misfire a couple of times. I can't simulate the problem unless I'm on the road, in high gear, and 2,000-sih rpms, and pushing 25+psi boost.

A contribution test would tell me which inspector(s) that are weak...but since Forscan can't do that, at this point I think I'm stuck taking it to the local diesel shop that has the software to run the test .

Any other options before I take it to the shop? (I hate taking my truck to the shop!!!....it feels like I've been defeated!!!)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you not have any contribution codes after it stumbles? I know you said you had some after letting your fuel gel up. I'm still leaning towards a clogged injector.
Nope....no codes. It only does if every now and then when under a big load, and it doesn't throw any codes at all.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
No codes leads me towards a fueling issue. It's possible that something is in the tank, blocking the pickup tube at full volume, or the ficm or pump are failing.
I didn't read if you have a fuel pressure gauge or not, but apparently you should have one.
I had a bad injector and it passed the buzz test and the other test available in forscan lite, but I did throw a contribution code. It most certainly stuttered bad before hitting full temp. I was seeing fairly poor fuel mileage too, so there's another sign.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts