Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6.0 2006 cc, mods are in sig. I recently noticed a loud squeak when I shut my truck off, it almost sounds like the belt... but I am not sure, the belt looks to be in good condition. I treat my truck well, shut it off when EGT's reach 350, 4000 mile oil changes, 7,000 mile fuel filter service..any ideas on what it could be? some people say hyrdolocking makes a squeak when you shut it off....any help would be great!

·
Registered
159 Posts
i think im experiencing the same thing. it sounds exactly like a belt chirp or something. after reading your post i checked out hydrolocking and i dont think its that (lets hope not for both our sakes) so i feel a little better. my truck still runs fine, great actually and it has no engine mods or anything and doesnt dump white smoke like hydrolocking trucks tend to do.

i really wish someone would get on your post here and answer your question because of course it would answer mine as well. hopefully nothing is wrong with either of our trucks!!

so to make sure SOMEONE READ THIS AND HELP US!! :bump:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's a very small thing, but I am just curious, I know there are slot of other important threads, I respect that

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Cummins are notorious for doing this on shut down. Not sure but it Def sounds like a belt or tension problem.

1,023 Posts
LOL no its not hydrolock. Hydrolock usually makes one hell of a bang when it does.

Hydrolock chugs as its dying fuel knock and when it does lock it either makes one hell of a bang or just the engine slows down til it stops.

And yes cummins are notorious for it. Try spraying a small very small ammount of wd 40 on the ribs and on the back side of the belt. it should quiet it down if it is a belt upon shut off thats usually what ive done on cummins to cure it temporarily. belts do glaze...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yeah wd40 will prob fix it temporarly. If you notice it stopping buy a new belt. Wonder if a belt dressing g would work?

·
Registered
159 Posts
thanks to both of yall for the help. i know i came off way to concerned than i really am just making sure haha. i'll try the wd40 and see if it helps at all. if not i guess i can always quit being lazy and check my belts

thanks again

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL no its not hydrolock. Hydrolock usually makes one hell of a bang when it does.

Hydrolock chugs as its dying fuel knock and when it does lock it either makes one hell of a bang or just the engine slows down til it stops.

And yes cummins are notorious for it. Try spraying a small very small ammount of wd 40 on the ribs and on the back side of the belt. it should quiet it down if it is a belt upon shut off thats usually what ive done on cummins to cure it temporarily. belts do glaze...
I just got my truck back from powerstroke magic in houston after a blow off valve install, Im going to do some fine tuning and also inspect the belt tomorrow, any good rules of thumb to check for good operation of the belt tensioner?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The best thing I have found that does't wear off is ARMORALL . Works great on gas motors with a squeaky belt .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 186,000 miles, should I change the tensioner and belt to be on the safe side?

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Belt noise

I own an auto repair shop...heard more belts squeak than you can imagine... I always have a can of pledge furniture polish handy.... Aerosol can of lemon pledge is gods gift to belts... Regularly shuts em up for good unless belt way to old and dry or has tensioner problem... Everyone should try it! Really works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts