Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father inlaw has a 2004 6.0l excursion. He said that when he is driving around town it will all of a sudden act like its going to dye. It will start sputtering and lose all power and also as he give it fuel to keep it running it blows out a ton of black smoke. It will drive but has hardy no power. After a few minutes it start to run normal again. It usual does it he start running for the first time of the day and it happens when in a mile from wherever he starts. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciate. Chris

·
Registered
312 Posts
Better check the FICM. Sounds like the culprit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My father inlaw has a 2004 6.0l excursion. He said that when he is driving around town it will all of a sudden act like its going to dye. It will start sputtering and lose all power and also as he give it fuel to keep it running it blows out a ton of black smoke. It will drive but has hardy no power. After a few minutes it start to run normal again. It usual does it he start running for the first time of the day and it happens when in a mile from wherever he starts. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciate. Chris
Tell him to take a look and see if he still has the throttle plate on the intake - we have them on our '04's. If it is still there then it will cause the exact symptoms. I just went through this and the the throttle plate kept sticking making my truck die. otherwise it would run great. My problems are gone.

·
Registered
673 Posts
What about the obvious... EGR valve. Or is it deleted?

·
Registered
230 Posts
What about the obvious... EGR valve. Or is it deleted?
I thought so too, but in my case the EGR was new. This is what was puzzling me at the time. However, his fil's EGR may be thirty though.

OP...what codes do you see.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Pull valve out and check to make sure valve is fully seated and not hung open.

·
Registered
673 Posts
In front of engine on top of intake manifold. It is a round silver piece with 2 8mm bolts that hold it on. Look up the 6.0 bible and it will show the pic.

·
Registered
673 Posts
No problem man not so good at uploading pics or I would find you one. Also make sure if the EGR valve has a piece of carbon stuck in it make sure to smell it because EGR coolers will leak and coolant will mix with carbon and make hard, light-colored "rocks" that hang in the valve. If that's the case you may need a cooler.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya thats what I'm afraid of. Ive had a 7.3 and now a 6.4 and love them both. But never had a 6.0 so dont know much abt them. What should I use to clean valve and also how to you check the throttle plate?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
youtube the egr valve to make life simple.. youtube "cleaning egr on 6.0 powerstroke" also check ficm with a insight or scanner or have the dealer do it if you must. and im curious to see boost pressure when this happens too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts