Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I'd like to say thank you for anyone's experience up front because at this point I'm just about out of my league it would seem.

I have a 2006 F250 6.0 Atlas 40 ficm with new powermax turbo maybe 30 miles on it, (Bullydog GT Platinum Removed and back to stock)

I recently had a boost issue that I contributed to a sticking turbo unison ring. I was having all kinds of black smoke and no power on the bottom rpm range. WOT and the boost would very slowly come up and then bam 30psi and almost smoke the tires. Let off the pedal and there you are again, no power and black smoke. The truck cranks great and idles along with zero issues. Bullydog was showing 0 boost idling and then around 2500rpm it'd start slowly climbing till it hits about 8psi then it goes on to full boost but it shuts down to 0 again soon as you let out of it. I pulled the GT3782VA stock turbo apart and it was worn pretty bad so I opted to replace it with the powermax turbo.

I have a generic scanner that has a few live modes that I was able to read and everything such as map and egr seemed ok from what I've learned from all you guy's experience. I have torquepro OBDII connector coming in tomorrow and that should help with watching some other values.

I have blindly replaced the following sensors: Map and hose plus cleaning the hose connection nipple, EGR plus cleaning the housing, EBP plus cleaning the pipe and manifold connection and VGT as well as. I have also went over my hot and cold side tubes and boots plus pressure test and everything was good. I have removed the turbo and taken the piston cover off and used a magnet to actuate the vanes and they move free as can be maybe couple inch lbs to open and close super smooth too. I also tried removing the breather filter thinking the slightly larger turbo may need more air but that wasn't the case either

I was told by a guy at work that the PCM is the issue because it's not doing the math correctly to boost right so it needs reflashed. I'll update once I have the scanner live values so maybe someone has seen this issue before because I need my truck for work so this is a tough one at this time.

Thanks again for anyone's help and anybody close to Columbus Ms wanna make some extra cash in hand off me I'm all in if you can point me in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
12,954 Posts
So to be clear, you replaced the turbo but are still having the same problem? Still 0 boost to 2500 and then off to the races after that? Still having the same effect when going WOT?

The PCMs on these things are pretty tough units and failures are rare, but I suppose it could be possible. The scanner live values will help best though to determine that.

I'd start with trending the values and look at the relationships between

EBPpsi, EBPV, VGT%, APP%, and MAP as you test.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So to be clear, you replaced the turbo but are still having the same problem? Still 0 boost to 2500 and then off to the races after that? Still having the same effect when going WOT?

The PCMs on these things are pretty tough units and failures are rare, but I suppose it could be possible. The scanner live values will help best though to determine that.

I'd start with trending the values and look at the relationships between

EBPpsi, EBPV, VGT%, APP%, and MAP as you test.

Yes sir that's what's throwing me for such a loop on it. I'll update with all the values of the live scan soon as I can get them and see if that'll shed some light on things. Thanks for the help and I'll make sure the issue when found is noted well.

·
Super Moderator
12,954 Posts
Not to have you keep chasing parts, but did you check condition of the EBP pigtail as well?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to have you keep chasing parts, but did you check condition of the EBP pigtail as well?
Yes I found the three wires right before the plug were down to the bare wire. I separated them and taped them up individually then taped that section as well. I can order a new pigtail now if need be just to be on the safe side. I did find a fuse under the hood that was blown (Ford book said Shunt) not exactly sure what it powers up though.

Please don't think your beating me up...... I'll take the whole turbo out if someone truly thinks there's a issue with it although I'm about 99.9% sure it's working like it should. I'm use to frustration dealing with issues on large scale machines but this I guess is close to home for my side business being down at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
12,954 Posts
No not beating you up, just not a fan of throwing parts at a problem..... but going through the usual suspects.

Again, live readings are going to be best to help narrow down the issue for sure but here's why I ask.

At this point it seems you still have a vane positioning issue in the turbo. Vane position is commanded by the PCM trying to hit a desired EBP at X rpm and Y throttle position, boost is just the side effect.....so gotta make sure that EBP circuit is healthy and getting clean voltage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No not beating you up, just not a fan of throwing parts at a problem..... but going through the usual suspects.

Again, live readings are going to be best to help narrow down the issue for sure but here's why I ask.

At this point it seems you still have a vane positioning issue in the turbo. Vane position is commanded by the PCM trying to hit a desired EBP at X rpm and Y throttle position, boost is just the side effect.....so gotta make sure that EBP circuit is healthy and getting clean voltage.

Yea I agree with throwing parts at it although I did due to my frustration. I'll have all the live data points hopefully soon enough and can go from there.

I'll go through the wiring on the EBP circuit thoroughly when I get a chance since I work all weekend. They would be my only suspect in this since I found the damage on them.

Thanks again for dealing with me and this issue

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
When you get your monitor setup, you want to monitor voltages rather than pressures ... the voltage is the true reading from the sensors - pressure can be an inferred number if the PCM doesn't see what it wants

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you get your monitor setup, you want to monitor voltages rather than pressures ... the voltage is the true reading from the sensors - pressure can be an inferred number if the PCM doesn't see what it wants
Hydro I’ll try to get the voltage too if torque pro will get it. Thank you

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Morning everyone, so I got my torquepro tester OBDII connector in yesterday evening and after I got home about 9 last night, I was able to start working with it some. The scanner asked me to pick between 3 ECU's it had listed so I chose the bottom one but not sure what the difference is with these just yet.

I was able to connect and get a few gauges working but not the ones I needed just yet. Excuse my lack of knowledge with the unit. I have a long way to go it seems to get to the VGT, ICP and IPR gauges working.

Thanks again for all the help as usual

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Three??, my '06 only shows just one
be sure to get the Ford specific pids in Torque options

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Three??, my '06 only shows just one
be sure to get the Ford specific pids in Torque options
This morning I downloaded the enhanced PID's for the truck before I left for work so maybe that'll change the way it's communicating. If the ECU choice comes back up, I'll snap of pic of it for everyone to see. Tomorrow evening after I get off at 3 I'll be working on the truck through the end of Tuesday night testing and logging everything in an attempt to get this issue resolved before I have to break down and take it to the dealer (sad choice :cry:) here in town because I need it before I leave for Michigan on the 31st.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok guys, I was able to get some of the Ford pids working and this is what I came up with: Please see the picture I attached of the truck idling. Engine coolant temp I got working a short time after the pic and its about 4-5 degrees from the oil temp. The VGT on all the videos I've watched seems to run 78-80 idling where mine is pegged out at 85. Guess this is why I don't have any low end boost but what's causing it is the issue.
Boost at 2500 rpm was 2.5 psi if that makes a difference.

The Map sensor is all over the place from say 6 - 18 at times which seems odd to me but I have never watched one work either. I welcome all comments and if anyone knows how to get the torquepro math for any other different settings I need please share. I have several but a few seem to be missing.

Thanks again for all you guys help

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
VGT at idle may hit 85 or slowly swing -- it is a strat to help keep the unison ring from sticking
usually the percent will fall quickly to about 40ish as soon as I step on the brake or move the shifter lever

The MAP wandering around would be of interest to me
does it follow the VGT or is it wandering independently? -- MAP in the intake manifold pressure
also EBP should be monitored

When selecting pids to monitor, usually the ones with [FORD] as a prefix are the ones that work
any pids that I add, I prefix with my initials, so they are easier to find in the list -- [SRD]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hydro thanks for the input. The VGT doesn't move hardly at all shifting into gear or stepping on the gas/fuel peddle. The map however jumps up and down when stepping on the gas but isn't constant at all. I have a video of it but I haven't figured out how to get it here for you guys to see just yet. The map in the video bounces around from lowest 4psi to 18psi highest. and it doesn't follow the vgt. Trying to understand why the map is all over the place though since the sensor and hose are new and the fitting is cleaned out well. I'll be doing some more checking when I get off work at 3p today and I'm off tomorrow so I'll have the whole day to try and figure it out.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Send the vid to youtube and post the link here

Possible you have a problem in the map sensor wiring
if you have a air regulator with a gauge, you can pressurize the map hose and watch that on your monitor, should read the same

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I'll do that when I get home where I can get into youtube. I also do have a way to pressurize the map sensor through the hose and see if I have any leaks and such.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so yesterday I went over the map sensor an wiring with a fine tooth comb. I didn’t find anything wrong with anything. However my map is constant now on my gauge. Maybe cleaning the plug contacts an sensor pins did the trick.
I noticed while doing a power brake in the driveway which just blows black smoke out the tailpipe some smoke coming from around the turbo area. I’ll be pulling the turbo again shortly to check Y pipe an connections. Doubt the little bit of smoke I saw is causing my huge lack of power on the bottom end but I need my truck so off the wrenches.

Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome. Heck, I’ll kiss a frog at this point because I’m going mad over this thing.
Thanks again for the help.

·
Super Moderator
12,954 Posts
You'd be surprised what an exhaust leak will do, even a small one. Shouldn't be any exhaust coming from the engine bay....see if you can narrow down where it's coming from and get it fixed.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts