1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guy's,
been looking at an 04 with an 03 sticker on valve cover,
at what i believe to be a good price.
having heard of 6.0 issues i have been looking at all the info i can.
thank you all very much for the info.
i think i understand and i am ok with the things that need to be done
to bullet proof ie: egr, oil cooler, coolant, ect.
but what concerns me is seeing that 200k miles are what is
expected out of this motor without some internal engine rebuild.
is this what is expected?
are the 400k - 500k miles before overhaul day's gone?
i haven't had a diesel since 07 when i had a 96 7.3 and 03 5.9
that i had for trouble free years.
i expected 400,00 out of each of those.
things changed for me in 07 as it did for many and i went back to gas.
things are better and i now drive 200+ miles a day for work and was thinking of going back to diesel for engine longevity,
because i know i'm on borrowed time with my 206k mile f150.
the 04 i'm looking at has 150k and i don't want to spend the money on a truck that has little more life before rebuild than the one i have.
sorry for the long post but with money tight i just need to make a good decision. thanks to all again.
rick

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Pull the Oasis report and the Carfax, know what you're getting into.

If you are serious about the 6.0L, go ahead and get a ScangaugeII or Edge Insight CS/CTS and hook up and get a solid set of temps before you buy. If you can't do that, have a Ford Dealership do a full mechancial inspection and determine the temps for you.

If the temps are too high, the Oasis isn't clean, or the inspection comes back with something, walk. There are a number of folks selling 6.0L's and its a buyers market if you know where to look.

As for longevity, I'm expecting an overhaul at 300k, maybe a little earlier. There are a few 6.0L's out there approching the 500K mark, and still going.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks colo.
no one else has an opinion on what the average life
span is on this motor?
i understand there are variables, but to only
be averaging 250k seam like a short life for a diesel to me.
if so, the 6.0's may be to rich for me.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
buy a 6 speed 7.3 and be done with it. with good maintenance you will see 400-500k without to many problems.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just bought mine about a month ago and one sticking point with me was that it had to be a 06 or 07. 03-05 just seemed to have the majority of the issues. Some of those issues (certainly not all) got addressed by 06-07.

Good luck with your purchase!!:icon_ford:

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
thanks colo.
no one else has an opinion on what the average life
span is on this motor?
i understand there are variables, but to only
be averaging 250k seam like a short life for a diesel to me.
if so, the 6.0's may be to rich for me.
Its a simple matter of the emissions control equipment, and the HP to displacement. The 7.3L was blessed with no emissions gear, and a high displacement to HP ratio from the factory.

The days of the factory diesel lasting 500K are long gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks again to everyone.
had the truck scaned today, it showed
slight airflow loss through egr(big surprise)
and something with program error.
he said it could have been from last dealer update
it has had 2 different program updates and he said i should go to a dealer and get the latest update. he said it changes a few things including the way the injectors work
and helps with cold start. he feels truck is solid
and with egr block off,new oil cooler and headstuds
it should see 300k-350k. says he's seen many with that.
i think i'll be a new 6.0 owner.
thanks,
rick

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,891 Posts
Traded in my 2003 F250 (6.0) at 293K miles, still ran great. I just wanted a newer interior with Leather.
My 2005 F350 just hit 204k, but about 14k miles ago I sent it to powerstroke magic and had new heads etc. oil cooler egr delete etc. etc.

Take your time and look at whatever trucks your intersted in and do your homework. 6.0 is a good truck if they haven't been abused. I've had good luck with mine excluding the small fortune I put into my 05, but I did that so the truck would be good to last. Def. pull oasis, check the delta on the coolant and oil temp. Also, check the degas bottle and if you smell diesel in it be skeered!!! :hehe: Read up on this site, allot of good info and knowledge. Absorb as much as you can and apply that when you go to look. :crazy: Happy hunting :thumb:

And I get around 14-19 mpg with my F-350 SRW. 14 town, 19 hwy
Truck is great, and with all the money I've spent on the truck I'm still in a nice diesel truck for half of what a new one would cost :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
If you are looking for a diesel to routinely run for 400,000 -1,000,000 miles (or more), idle all day long and ignore owner abuse and neglect -a 6.0 Powerstroke is really not the motor for you . Look no further than a 5.9 12v Cummins. Unfortunately, the Dodge bodies and chassis are total crap. I have owned many 6.0 PSD's and l love every one but even with my meticulous maintenance schedule I keep, I do not expect ANY of them to last over 400,000 miles due to the design even if with all of the preventative maintenance mods (heads decked, studs, EGR delete etc) I am a Ford guy through and through and will always run PSD powered trucks but I buy them knowing full well their limitations.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
If you are looking for a diesel to routinely run for 400,000 -1,000,000 miles (or more), idle all day long and ignore owner abuse and neglect -a 6.0 Powerstroke is really not the motor for you . Look no further than a 5.9 12v Cummins. Unfortunately, the Dodge bodies and chassis are total crap. I have owned many 6.0 PSD's and l love every one but even with my meticulous maintenance schedule I keep, I do not expect ANY of them to last over 400,000 miles due to the design even if with all of the preventative maintenance mods (heads decked, studs, EGR delete etc) I am a Ford guy through and through and will always run PSD powered trucks but I buy them knowing full well their limitations.
I agree I'm probably not going to hit the 400k mark with my 6.0. But I'm gonna try. A forged rod 7.3 will go 400k no problem. I mean look at all of them on here. And theres plenty of million mile 7.3's . He needs a 7.3. Then you still get a ford and a good motor. Or make a fummins

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
570 Posts
Egrs are the problem with modern diesels, introducing soot into the intake causes more wear, turbo problems etc. 6.0s have the doublewhammy of a problematic EGR system. Ford mod motors 4.6 5.4s v-10s will last as long as any modern diesel, and a good low mileage used gas motor costs much less than a head gasket job on a 6.0. So if longevity is the only reason to change,DO NOT DO IT. My v-10 Excursion is completly trouble free oil changes cost less than half of those on my 6.0, and I go to 10000 miles with mobil 1 and a filter change at 5000 miles, Iwill not do that on a 6.0. Don't get me wrong, I sold an f150 supercrew with 11k miles to get my latest 6.0 because I love 6.0 superduties, but you cannot justify it unless you tow alot, even then a v-10 may make more sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guy's
all helpful info.
the info about the new designs and egr's makes since to me
that the motors can't do the miles they used to before rebuild.
i still want one, but may wait till i have an all cash deal so i
can keep my f150 and not trade it in, because i will be buying used
and may have a few issues to work out that will lead to down time i can't afford.
rick

·
Registered
75 Posts
thanks guy's
all helpful info.
the info about the new designs and egr's makes since to me
that the motors can't do the miles they used to before rebuild.
i still want one, but may wait till i have an all cash deal so i
can keep my f150 and not trade it in, because i will be buying used
and may have a few issues to work out that will lead to down time i can't afford.
rick
Rick, that's what I did. I had a good F150 that I had bought new and couldn't see getting rid of a truck that had been well maintained. So, I now have a F150 CC, 4x4 with the 5.4 motor and a F250 CC, FX4 with the 6.0 PSD.

:woot:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts