Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a mostly stock 07 6.0 with 125k thats always run like a champ and today I was driving to a friends house and as I was accelerating a loud grinding/spinning type of noise came from under the hood so I pulled over and looked and didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary, I was running the sct x4 canned street tune but i was being pretty light on the pedal because normally I only run the trans only tune. So after that happened I immediately returned the truck to stock, thinking maybe the canned tune just sucked or something, I kept driving and for about 20 min it was fine. My first thought was the turbo so I kept an eye on the stock boost gauge and everything seemed to be fine and then as I was getting on the highway while accelerating moderately it happened again and this time I looked at my boost gauge and it was showing 0. This immediately backed up my theory that the turbo was the problem so I pulled over and removed the boot going to the turbo intake and noticed that the input shaft seemed to have too much play in it and I think the turbine fins looked a little chewed up on the tips, I need to go back out and look again because i had the family with me and it really messed up our day... But this made me think that the noise was the shaft getting out of place and so the fins were maybe rubbing the housing? So i drove it real easy back home with no issues, it was showing boost on the gauge but i made sure to keep it below 10psi so as not to mess anything up anymore. I have a scangauge II and also the sct x4 and neither one read a code and I had no CEL, which seemed weird to me considering i had 0 boost at one time and didn't even get a turbo underboost code?? So does it sound like I need a new turbo, or could I possibly rebuild it and how could I tell if a rebuild would fix the issue vs. a replacement? Any help is really appreciated, thanks guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even though that's a good looking turbo for $700 I was really hoping that I could repair mine for less if possible. Does it seem like mine is shot in your opinion? I'm not an expert but I know my way around an engine well enough to do moderate repairs, just don't really know much about turbos.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Just depends on what parts are needed in urs. I think you can get a brand new turbo from rudys for around 800 ship. I think 700 is high for a 2005 to 2007 turbo but myb u can work a deal out. Or got to a kc 1.5 everyone on here is realy happy with there turbo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn I wish I could afford the KC 1.5 that would be awesome! But the wifes already mad at me for spending the money on my new x4, egr delete, and oil cooler haha and now its sounding like at least another 500+

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was planning on doing the egr delete and oil cooler this weekend but I guess Ill just end up pulling the turbo instead and see from there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like the WW2 but don't really need it and don't really want to spend the money on it if my compressor is still good and I don't think that kit has everything needed in it because I called the ford and international houses and they don't offer a rebuild kit just a new turbo only garrett sells the kits for a rebuild I guess. I still need to take the turbo off, its basically been raining/iceing for the last week here and no garage unfortunately... But I went out yesterday and took of the intake boot to get another look and the compressor fins were definitely rubbing against the housing but luckily I think I might have caught it in time hopefully. I took some pics and sent them to a buddy of mine who rebuilds turbos and he said that as long as the fins aren't chipped I should still be able to just rebuild it instead of a full replacement and the housing looked good still too just a few scratches from when it rubbed but it didnt actually look marred up or anything. I ordered a garrett rebuild and the new oil feed/drain lines so hopefully thats enough to take care of it but we'll see this weekend haha. Ill post up the pics I took.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here you can see that when I press on it it will touch the housing and its kind of ground the tips just a bit. There wasn't any in-out movement though and no chips out of the compressor wheel that I could see.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Look at wpe diesel. They have rebuild kits available for cheap. Talk to one of there guys and they will tell you what you need and hook you up. They will answer any questions you have and help anyway they can. I just ordered my 2nd rebuild kit from them today.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
how much up and down play.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I saw wpe diesels 1.5 rebuilds and i really wanted one but the wifey wouldnt let me spend the money yet :blahblah1: haha maybe down the road ill just try and save for a brand new KC 1.5. I actually ended up buying a garrett rebuild kit and the upgraded feed/drain lines because I noticed that I had some oil residue around the feed line so that might be what casued it to fail :dunno:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
midnite rider, I couldt really measure how much but I was able to push it up against the housing without too much force. Did you see the pics on my previous post?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
yes i did,you apparently you have to much up and down movement, so a rebuild is in order if the thing hasn't self destructed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea Im glad it didnt self destruct, the noise it made already scared the hell out of my wife when it happened! When I limped it home I kept it under 10psi and it still would spool and create boost so im hoping that the rebuild will take care of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts