Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did all 8 injectors in my 05 6.0 and having long cranks to start. I know it is normal to have air in the oil but is there any way to purge the air? Once it starts it runs great. I’ve driven it 25-30 miles and all is good till the next day.

·
Premium Member
7,068 Posts
So, for the next time you mess with the oil rails -- there is a little plug near the top of the rail -- take those out (one each side) and crank until the oil flows out -- this bleeds most of the air from the rails at the beginning

Possible you may still have some air trapped in the upper part of the rails -- some "spirited" runs or a few WOT runs should force it out -- if your just piddling around, the air will take a while to work out

You could also have an upper oring on the injector body that is not sealing well and draining the oil rail over night -- or one of the nipple seals
were the nipples "tight" in the rails? -- did you try to wiggle them?

Reactions: fartbox333

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, for the next time you mess with the oil rails -- there is a little plug near the top of the rail -- take those out (one each side) and crank until the oil flows out -- this bleeds most of the air from the rails at the beginning

Possible you may still have some air trapped in the upper part of the rails -- some "spirited" runs or a few WOT runs should force it out -- if your just piddling around, the air will take a while to work out

You could also have an upper oring on the injector body that is not sealing well and draining the oil rail over night -- or one of the nipple seals
were the nipples "tight" in the rails? -- did you try to wiggle them?
I had a friend do them that has done many before. Said that one of his trucks took almost 100 miles to work the air out.

·
Registered
2005 F350 Lariat Crew
630 Posts
I just did all 8 injectors in my 05 6.0 and having long cranks to start. I know it is normal to have air in the oil but is there any way to purge the air? Once it starts it runs great. I’ve driven it 25-30 miles and all is good till the next day.
By long cranks, are they slow and weak or fast and it just takes a while? And is there any smoke coming out while cranking, and what color if so?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By long cranks, are they slow and weak or fast and it just takes a while? And is there any smoke coming out while cranking, and what color if so?
Long and strong cranks 🤣 power is good. Got a few weak glow plugs that aren’t helping when it’s cold. Struggled at 60 degrees too. Does make some white smoke. Smells like fuel. Don’t think it’s coolant.

·
Registered
2005 F350 Lariat Crew
630 Posts
😂 I'd keep driving it, and get up on the highway and drive it like you stole it. Repair the glow plug system and see if anything changes. White smoke is good if it's fuel, so you just need to get combustion on that fuel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts