Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So my dad has a 2004 f350 crew cab long bed 4x4 with the 6.0 and auto tranny. He bought the truck about a year ago with 130,000 miles on it and it was in show room condition. And it seemed to run fine. So he bought it and about a week later was when we had the first problem with it. We were driving up a hill and it started running real rough. Almost choppy and like it had a miss. It didn't seem to be blowing any smoke at all. It ran rough for a few minutes and cleared up. It would have this same problem at any given time for the next 6 months. Not really bad at all maybe once or twice a month. Well in April I had to go down to New Mexico (1200 mile trip, we live in Idaho) and he let me take his truck because my dodge was having front end issues. On the way down it ran good. Might have messed up once or twice, but on the way back going up hills was a total head ache. It would start running rough and choppy and blowing black smoke, which this truck never does. It didn't seem to lose any power though, that I noticed anyways. So I'd pull over and shut the truck off for a minute and go again. This kept on happening for about an hour then it cleared up and was fine the rest of the way home, for the most part. And since then it has still done that rough running, choppy running every once in a while and will puff black smoke. Now the last month the truck has run terrible. Every time I drive it (in town, at higher rpm's it runs fine) it runs rough. It starts running choppy and now it starts to take off on you. Sitting at a stop light it'll start to run choppy and then it will just rev up and take off and blow black smoke. You have to stand on the brake pedal or the truck will be gone. And cruising in the city it does the same thing, just revs up and takes off for a few seconds, then goes back to normal. Has anyone ever had this problem? He and I have searched around this whole year and haven't found this problem. Since he bought the truck we have planned on doing egr delete and sct tuner, but can't seem to find the right egr delete kit to buy, and we haven't had time to work on the truck anyways. But when he is home this next shift in about three weeks we'll both be off work and he wants to do the egr delete and straight pipe exhaust. He thinks this will help the problem but I don't want him to toss money at the truck if he has injectors or something going bad. The truck now has 150,000 miles and all stock besides boost and pyro gauges and a 4 inch cat back exhaust. The truck does not lose any coolant at all and has never been close to over heating. So the egr cooler seems to be good. And the truck runs fine unless its city driving or it is idling. Sorry for the long post we just need to get this truck fixed because we don't even want to drive it in the state it is in now so we don't cause further damage. And I don't know much about these 6.0's I'm usually a cummins guy. Thanks and any advice would be greatly appreciated :nod: Kyle

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump TTT...

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
FICM could be failing. need to get a scanner to check it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'm gonna guess either injector Stiction or bad ficm. Do you have a way to hook it up to a computer and see if you can pull any codes off of it?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I checked for codes after it first happened and there were none. I haven't checked in about 10 months so I actually think I will check again tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Check your FICM and it wouldnt hurt to run some RevX or Hotshot Secret in it to help with the stiction.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Stiction is more of a cold start thing, not a going up hill problem

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Stiction is more of a cold start thing, not a going up hill problem
You really need a monitor, generic code readers suck for diagnosing the 6.0. Your irratic surging sounds like a faulty icp/pigtail. For the price, you can't beat a scanguage II. I have an edge cts btw. Without a good monitor we are just wasting time.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a genesis scanner at my shop. I just haven't checked codes lately because since the cold weather hit the truck runs like a dream.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts