Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other night we were driving down the road and the engine started running rough, about 2 miles later came to a stop and it died and would not re crank. I had it towed home, went out side this morning, checked all the connectors and looked for oil and everything looked fine. I hopped in and turned the key and after a little hesitaion it started roughly, after about 10 seconds it smoothed out and idled normal. I let it idle for about 5 mins then it started idling rough again, around 950 rpms. It just runs with more vibration than normal and is a little louder?

Where should I start.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was just out messing with it some more, and noticed a few more things I hope can help.

It seems like its not starting warm, which explains why it wouldnt restart last night after it died but started this morning after sitting all night. After running it for a bout 10 mins I shut it off and it would not crank back, it came close every 3-4 revs but wouldnt ever kick all the way over.

The other thing is after you rev it and it goes to idle arournd 950 thats where it is running rough. After I switch on high idle then turn it off it and it drops the rpms back to this 600 or so range it runs smooth.

There is a slight diesel smell to the oil.

I have been probably 100 miles since last time I got fuel.

I have the ARP studs and egr delete done about 10k miles ago.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was just out messing with it some more, and noticed a few more things I hope can help.

It seems like its not starting warm, which explains why it wouldnt restart last night after it died but started this morning after sitting all night. After running it for a bout 10 mins I shut it off and it would not crank back, it came close every 3-4 revs but wouldnt ever kick all the way over.

The other thing is after you rev it and it goes to idle arournd 950 thats where it is running rough. After I switch on high idle then turn it off it and it drops the rpms back to this 600 or so range it runs smooth.

There is a slight diesel smell to the oil.

I have been probably 100 miles since last time I got fuel.

I have the ARP studs and egr delete done about 10k miles ago.

Hope that helps.
im haveing the same problems who can help?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Sounds like a leaking standpipe. Could be stiction as well and probably has a little to do with the rough idle.

Diagnose these as separate issues.... The no start /no start hot is, probably a different and separate issue than the rough idle... So start there, cause it doesn't matter if it idles bad or not, if it doesn't start to begin with.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts